• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1/8 twist with a wylde chamber

Start off with some 62 & 69 gr BTHP using Sierra load data. If you don't find an acceptable group with those try different bullets/weights/powder. Some rifles prefer A-Max over the Matchkings but most of mine liked the MKs.

Rick

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO ---> just can't figure out why there are some recommendations for the heavier(and more expensive)bullets given the application that you stated in your OP.
    The bullets of the 50-55gr weights would be perfect for your usage. They can be driven faster and more efficiently with a wider variety of powders,are more available,and somewhat cheaper. Check out some of the bulk(250-500)bullet sales from the "usual" web sites.

Within you parameters you do not need a "heavy" bullet,a boat tail design,a hollow point,and the bullet can be of the usual design(no solid copper,etc.). One of your desires is an accurate combo. I believe that you can/will more easily come up with a powder,primer,brass,bullet combo,with the lighter bullets also.

If for some reason you do decide to go heavier,you surely do not need a bullet >69grs and probably 62grs. Also ...... I would try to find a bullet that you could apply a light crimp into a cannaleur. IMO ---> more accurate. --- SAWMAN

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Could be true Bill but in every 1/7 or 1/8 twist AR I've dialed in it was the heavier bullet that gave the best group, and always the 69 gr MK with the 68gr Hornady coming in a close second.

I've tried the 50gr BTHP, the 55gr Palma, and A-Maxes of several weights, always the 69gr MKs gave the best group using Sierra load data. For offhand plinking by all means go with a lighter bullet but if accuracy is what you're after I would start heavier then progress lighter if the results aren't satisfactory.

Rick

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I appreciate everyones answers and insight. I will start some beginning loads either this weekend or next and will post the results.

Thank you again everyone.

Doc

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nosler Varmageddon 55gr vs. Hornady V-Max 40gr. Ready to get some reload testing with these 2 projectiles out of my Rossi single shot 223. Its got a 1-12 twist so the lighter bullets will do great hopefully.

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also, I am thinking about getting a 6.5-06, does anybody have any experience with this caliber. It seems like a reloader's gun.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not have any direct expierance with this chambering ..... BUT -->

Quite a few different chamberings have been transformed into something or another - '06. Using the 30-06 as a parent case gets you quite a bit of case capacity. Anything bigger would be pretty severely overbore. This would turn into a bbl longivity "problem".

Personally I would either stick with the 30-06 case and do a simple 6.5-'06 or even more "interesting" if you were gonna do a rechamber or new bbl would be a 6.5-'06AI. (You will most likely be making your brass out of the normal 30-'06 anyway)The velocities obtainable would put you right up there with some of the big,overbore 6.5's. It would give you another 200fps with the med/heavy weight bullets depending on the powder used.

I would have the bbl in 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist and 24 inches long also. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

HEIST

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im planning on starting out with a left handed Rem 700 long action and gradually build something from that action. I would love to do a more odd ball caliber. I dont want to build a normal caliber that everyone has.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have the Magneto Speed V3 and the F-1 Green Chrony with the printer. I like them both.

Top Bottom