• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    if for some reason it fails to fire, or you choose to rest the hammer, you just can't cock the hammer back and try again.......no !!!
    you must open the breech fully and close to engage the hammer system.

let me know if you ever want to part with it.....my son wants that exact one !!!

Thanks for the info, doc!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

joraca

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a 30-30 Win Contender today on a whim. What do I need to know about it?

Put some padding under your elbows if you are shooting it off the bench.

If you adjust the trigger, with the gun unloaded and cocked, rap the heel of it pretty hard to make sure the hammer doesn't fall.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if for some reason it fails to fire, or you choose to rest the hammer, you just can't cock the hammer back and try again.......no !!!
    you must open the breech fully and close to engage the hammer system.

let me know if you ever want to part with it.....my son wants that exact one !!!

Sorry, that statement is not correct for the original Contender. If you hold the barrel / chamber closed with one hand, in a twisting motion, you can re-cock the internals with the other hand by depressing the trigger guard without ever opening the action. This is how you can get a 1 pound trigger pull to work on a TC. I used this method in my competition TCs for over 20 years. When I switched to the RPM-XL or Merill, I sold 11 TCs to the Brazil National Silhouette Team at the international championship match in Ft Stockton, TX. Just to illustrate a point of fact in 1987 I won the SE Region, 12 state, unlimited gun match with a lowly 10 inch, stock Contender, production gun, shooting an 80 round match as described. :)
    When I get my shop finished I will start building competition TCs again.
    Ed

Sticknstring

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a 7-30 waters that I hunt with. Haven't had opportunity to use it on game yet. Also have a 7mmTCU that came with the gun. If anyone is interested, I don't use it.

Top Bottom