• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCHGN

Banned
    http://news.yahoo.com/zimmerman-defense-declines-separate-april-hearing-215312893.html

Hearing to determine if his Castle Doctrine defense is legit.

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — The attorney for the Florida man accused of fatally shooting Trayvon Martin said Tuesday that he won't need the two weeks a judge previously set aside for an immunity hearing under the state's controversial self-defense law, though the issue could be folded into the trial this summer....a judge would have sole discretion in an immunity hearing to decide if Zimmerman is exempt from culpability in the shooting. A jury would make the determination in the murder trial.

I think this is a great move.......the thing is, he approached Martin under the title of NW. The Castle Doctirne does not apply here. He changed his defense to simple self defense and wants a jury to decide, instead of a single judge.

TURTLE

Marksman
    As long as the media and those other tards down there keep out of it I think this is a no brainer and Z walks.

Scrooge

Marksman
    I hope he walks! I wonder if the professional race baiters from Chicago will be back; hopefully they have moved along to other interests. They (Jackson,Sharpton,ect....) got their 15 minutes out of this one. The lib politicians down there are bound to try and stir up as much crap as possible. Iritates the hell out of me when "stand your ground" provision is referred to as "the controversial Florida sd law" by the lib press. Why is self defense "controversial"???
    Good move on Z's part - hope he is found innocent. Martin's gf was proven to have lied in her original statements to LE, that should help also.... sorry ya'll - just airing my feathers! :frusty:

Snow Bird

Master
    Granted the race bullshit should have never brought into it,but he should have stayed in his truck. He is not a cop. I don't know if he even had the right to even approch the kid under Fl law. How did he even get a CCW from what I read. I don't know the neighbord hood watch laws in Fl. The law can stop you in some places if you look seedy but I really don't think joe blow off the street should have that right. Hell I look pretty seedy myself. I don't even know if he can get a fair day in court with all the news coverage about it no matter how you feel about him being guilty or not.

CCHGN

Banned
    I don't know if he even had the right to even approch the kid under Fl law. How did he even get a CCW from what I read. I don't know the neighbord hood watch laws in Fl. The law can stop you in some places if you look seedy but I really don't think joe blow off the street should have that right......

The Neighborhood Watch program has been around since 1972. NW is an extension of the LE dept and they are certified and authorized to approach and question anyone who is strange in their neighborhood. Zimmerman was the leader of his NW, Martin was in his neighborhood, so in that capacity, yes, he was authorized to( and did) approach Martin, who was looking in windows in the shadows. He also did what he was supposed to do and called the police. He was fully within his capacity. He turned to go back to his vehicle, as instructed and Martin attacked him. From then on it was self defense, imo.

steve

Marksman
    Granted the race bullshit should have never brought into it,but he should have stayed in his truck. He is not a cop. I don't know if he even had the right to even approch the kid under Fl law. How did he even get a CCW from what I read. I don't know the neighbord hood watch laws in Fl. The law can stop you in some places if you look seedy but I really don't think joe blow off the street should have that right. Hell I look pretty seedy myself. I don't even know if he can get a fair day in court with all the news coverage about it no matter how you feel about him being guilty or not.

Snow Bird, sounds like you were there... Tell us more.
    You know he "approch"ed the kid?
    Joe Blow (GZ) doesn't have the right to stop anyone (Did he stop TM?)
    How did he even get a CCW from what I read (Did he obtain his CCW unlawfully?)
    I don't know the neighbord hood watch laws in Fl. (Was he on patrol as neighborhood watch?)
    I don't even know if he can get a fair day in court (He obviously can't get a fair day on forums - tried and convicted)
    I believe in innocent UNLESS proven guilty in a court of law, something you may want to consider.

Fletch

Master
    I agree he should have stayed in his truck but that doesn't make him guilty of murder. My understanding of the story is not that Zimmerman stopped Martin representing himself as NW. He was observing Martin and got out to follow him after losing sight of him and relay his location to the police whom he was reporting a suspicious person to. He lost sight of him again and then on returning to his car he was confronted by Martin who said why are you following me and then continued to instigate a physical confrontation. Martin said you are going to die tonight and was banging Zimmerman's head into the sidewalk.

I don't know about you guys, but if someone tells me I am going to die as they slam my head into the concrete, I am going to have reasonable fear to believe my life is in jeopardy and act appropriately. I think the moral of this story should be to thug wannabe teenagers and young men that you can't just physically assault a fellow man without consequences. A man having his head kicked or slammed into a hard surface has every right to defend himself with equally violent and potentially lethal force. Because of Sharpeton, Jackson, and the media coverage, if Zimmerman gets convicted the thug youth will feel all the more empowered to bully and intimidate. It's an epidemic and if you don't believe it just go up to the boardwalk on Pensacola Beach on a Friday night. On second thought don't because it's irresponsible to even put yourself into the situation knowing what it is these days. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting tourist Dads taking their kids up to the boardwalk for some ice cream.

Fletch

Master
    The Neighborhood Watch program has been around since 1972. NW is an extension of the LE dept and they are certified and authorized to approach and question anyone who is strange in their neighborhood. Zimmerman was the leader of his NW, Martin was in his neighborhood, so in that capacity, yes, he was authorized to( and did) approach Martin, who was looking in windows in the shadows. He also did what he was supposed to do and called the police. He was fully within his capacity. He turned to go back to his vehicle, as instructed and Martin attacked him. From then on it was self defense, imo.

Not sure what LE dept gave that info but the ECSO gave us the exact opposite info at our official NW meeting. They said under no circumstances should any NW volunteer approach a suspicious person. Call the authorities and don't follow was the advise. They were very supportive of people arming themselves for defending the home, but not approaching a suspicious person. I really can't disagree with that advise.

Snow Bird

Master
    To steve No i was not there and neither were you. I just like you are going by our great news and internet reports. From my understanding on some reports that there was something in ths past that he should hot have had a ccw. News reports just like you get. Did that kid really tell him that? I don't know anymore than you do. The kid is dead and only he and zimmeron knew what happened that night. Like I stated I don't know the laws in Fl. Thats why I said so. What would you have done if approched that night when you had every right to be there from News reports. Stand your ground and pull your handgun? Politely tell a stranger who you were or run away and then maybe get shot for trying to elude. Or maybe fight like most kids do. Ever get in a fight when you were a kid? I am not saying he is guilty but I am leaning that way. That is why I ask the question about him getting a fair triail Seems hard to me guilty or not. The race card should have never been brought into it.PEROID Sharption and that bunch should stay out of it. Sharptin and Jackson always show up and stir things up. Do you think he is able to get a fair trail any where with all the news reports. Back to the fight. I got my ass whipped when I was a kid and never felt like I had to shoot someone. I do know things are alot diffrent now than when I was a kid. As someone said on here his job was to report to law inforcement and that was it. I really think in my own mind that will have alot to bear on the outcome of the trial. Did he put himself in danger. Like Isaid before I am going by news reports just like you are. There are alot of stories out there over this and who knows what to beleive.

CCHGN

Banned
    Not sure what LE dept gave that info but the ECSO gave us the exact opposite info at our official NW meeting. They said under no circumstances should any NW volunteer approach a suspicious person. Call the authorities and don't follow was the advise. They were very supportive of people arming themselves for defending the home, but not approaching a suspicious person. I really can't disagree with that advise.

Not saying that they were specifically given authority( or instructed) to approach, just saying that in 40 yrs of NW, practice becomes protocol and IN PRACTICE, many NW members WILL approach strangers and offer "assistance". Btw, when was your NW meeting? Post Zimmerman?

CCHGN

Banned
    From my understanding on some reports that there was something in ths past that he should hot have had a ccw.... I don't know anymore than you do. There are alot of stories out there over this and who knows what to beleive.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cops-witnesses-back-george-zimmermans-version/story?id=16371852

Zimmerman and the police know what happened. The police and the court are going the believe the hard evidence. Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 and the first officers and witnesses say the evidence is there to what Zimmerman said happened. He saw a person looking in windows, he stopped and called 911 and tried find an address. As he was walking back to his vehicle, Martin jumped him and got him down and beat his head on the sidewalk. The first officer saw that same evidence- the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, he was bleeding profusely about the face and had gashes on the back of his head. The only reason he's charged with 2nd Deg murder is because of the high profile of Jackson and sharpton and the Martin family.

Fletch

Master
    Not saying that they were specifically given authority( or instructed) to approach, just saying that in 40 yrs of NW, practice becomes protocol and IN PRACTICE, many NW members WILL approach strangers and offer "assistance". Btw, when was your NW meeting? Post Zimmerman?

It was probably around a year and half ago and Pre-Zimmerman. I understand they are using a abundance of caution and don't want someone to put themselves into a bad situation. Our NW has got it into their heads they are a neighborhood association and zoning board anyhow, so I'm not the biggest fan. They don't do patrols or anything like that. Just updates on any suspicious activity and reminding everyone to be observant type of deal.

steve

Marksman
    To steve No i was not there and neither were you. I just like you are going by our great news and internet reports. From my understanding on some reports that there was something in ths past that he should hot have had a ccw. News reports just like you get. Did that kid really tell him that? I don't know anymore than you do. The kid is dead and only he and zimmeron knew what happened that night. Like I stated I don't know the laws in Fl. Thats why I said so. What would you have done if approched that night when you had every right to be there from News reports. Stand your ground and pull your handgun? Politely tell a stranger who you were or run away and then maybe get shot for trying to elude. Or maybe fight like most kids do. Ever get in a fight when you were a kid? I am not saying he is guilty but I am leaning that way. That is why I ask the question about him getting a fair triail Seems hard to me guilty or not. The race card should have never been brought into it.PEROID Sharption and that bunch should stay out of it. Sharptin and Jackson always show up and stir things up. Do you think he is able to get a fair trail any where with all the news reports. Back to the fight. I got my ass whipped when I was a kid and never felt like I had to shoot someone. I do know things are alot diffrent now than when I was a kid. As someone said on here his job was to report to law inforcement and that was it. I really think in my own mind that will have alot to bear on the outcome of the trial. Did he put himself in danger. Like Isaid before I am going by news reports just like you are. There are alot of stories out there over this and who knows what to beleive.

Just like a true liberal... Call the 6'2 240 lb man a "kid", react on emotion and without facts and "lean" toward GUILTY! And to answer your question about what I would have done in TM's place, I would have greeted him with a polite "Hi Sir, How are you tonite" just as I would do if I met you on the street.

Scrooge

Marksman
    I agree he should have stayed in his truck but that doesn't make him guilty of murder. My understanding of the story is not that Zimmerman stopped Martin representing himself as NW. He was observing Martin and got out to follow him after losing sight of him and relay his location to the police whom he was reporting a suspicious person to. He lost sight of him again and then on returning to his car he was confronted by Martin who said why are you following me and then continued to instigate a physical confrontation. Martin said you are going to die tonight and was banging Zimmerman's head into the sidewalk.

I don't know about you guys, but if someone tells me I am going to die as they slam my head into the concrete, I am going to have reasonable fear to believe my life is in jeopardy and act appropriately. I think the moral of this story should be to thug wannabe teenagers and young men that you can't just physically assault a fellow man without consequences. A man having his head kicked or slammed into a hard surface has every right to defend himself with equally violent and potentially lethal force. Because of Sharpeton, Jackson, and the media coverage, if Zimmerman gets convicted the thug youth will feel all the more empowered to bully and intimidate. It's an epidemic and if you don't believe it just go up to the boardwalk on Pensacola Beach on a Friday night. On second thought don't because it's irresponsible to even put yourself into the situation knowing what it is these days. I feel sorry for the unsuspecting tourist Dads taking their kids up to the boardwalk for some ice cream.

good posts Fletch; both your posts make good common sense! JMHO...

Snow Bird

Master
    I"m sorry Steve I got ahead of myself. Did the kid really tell him tonight you are going to die Please excuse that. Lets see 6'2 240pound aginst 17 year old kid and getting his ass kicked. Don't know if I am a liberal or not because I don't put lables on people. Oh execpt myself . I like to call myself a redneck gun loveing nice guy. I am glad to see you would be that polite to someone after you were told not to follow. You seem to be convinced he is not guilty. I am leaning the other was so it would seem that neather one of us should be on that jury. That is why I have said from the start that it will be hard for him to get a fair trial. Find me someone who hasn't heard about it and dosen't have some idea 1 way or the other about it. No matter judges instruction many jurys get hung up and there will be more than one trial. Just for some points Could have Zimmerman got away fron the unarmed kid and run away. Thats bad for the ego. Pretty sure that might come up at trial. I KNOW you don't have to. I would like to share something that is alittle off topic.. We stayed on the beach dry camping in the motor home last summer.. Had the lights off and some guy walked up and tried to jerk the door open.. I did what any good liberal would do. Grabed the 40 and the sell phone Got a discription of him and his suv and called 911 7 or 8 min they showed up.... they found him and asked if I wanted to press charges. I declined.. Piont is I had every right to shoot him in Texas through the door and get away with it.. OR I could have opened the door and conforanted him SHOT him declaring that I feared for my life and got away with it. Point is I didn't have to shoot him.

steve

Marksman
    The 6'2 240lb person was the 17 year old "kid". Seems as though you are "leaning towards GUILTY" without knowing even the basic facts. I'm done.

CCHGN

Banned
    The 6'2 240lb person was the 17 year old "kid". Seems as though you are "leaning towards GUILTY" without knowing even the basic facts. I'm done.

Don't worry, he's ignoring the facts and rejecting reality and replacing it with his own....hey, ain't that what Liberals do?

CCHGN

Banned
    It was probably around a year and half ago and Pre-Zimmerman. I understand they are using a abundance of caution and don't want someone to put themselves into a bad situation. Our NW has got it into their heads they are a neighborhood association and zoning board anyhow, so I'm not the biggest fan. They don't do patrols or anything like that. Just updates on any suspicious activity and reminding everyone to be observant type of deal.

Yet, others have vehicles with yellow lights and magnetic signs and spot lights and uniforms and clipboards and cameras and patrol regularly. They have no problem approaching and questioning folks. I know a few folks who are in NW around here. One fella told me they even follow vehicles out of their neighborhood and to the store down the street.

Snow Bird

Master
    Guess I have a new title now.. Guess I will wear it proudly here from now on. Probally should have shot that guy in Texas.

Top Bottom