• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Ok I have another outlook on this. Does this look bad ? Maybe. But once again ALL COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED, and the kid would be alive right now had he put it in park, got out, and said yes officer, what is the problem. The fact of the matter is he backed up abruptly with his door open, that cop could have easily ended up under the vehicle, then the kid threw it in gear and took off. It seems the pattern these days cop pulls you over, screw the cop, take off. Now, should that warrant a hydro shock to the cranium ? Not my call to make. But if you simply COMPLY your life expectancy is MUCH LONGER !
    Since you'er doing the "must comply" line of wrongful use of authority, Why didn't the stupid cop just park his patrol car behind the suspect car with emergency lights on before opening the door. Oh stupid cop. Answered my own question.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And the cop still had the wrong car.
    If that is true, he is going to have a really hard sell on his actions. Seems like he may have been a bit too gun ho with very poor preplanning. I bet 3 seconds of running a few scenarios & possible consequences thru his head may have changed his life.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    I don't eat behind the wheel in my vehicle ever, but if I did, I wouldn't park and eat a drippy hamburger with the transmission in DRIVE would you? Since we're all speculating, can we speculate the driver made a conscious decision to dis-engage vehicles transmission from park or neutral and into drive and haul ass in a fraction of a second. If that's what he did he was practicing hyper situational awareness that he might be jacked. And if that's true why was his door unlocked? I think this rookie cop is f&cked anyway because the evidence will show what they want it to show. The fact that he has already been fired doesn't portend well for a finding of innocence. IMO

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Kid was panicked, as the officer snuck up on him and just opened his car door.

When the vehicle moved backwards, I don’t think it was the kids intention to hit the cop, probably accidentally got off bake in the panic. If you notice he didn’t hit the gas the car slowly moved backwards. It wasn’t until the cop started shooting at him that he panics sped off. Edit-( I just went and did some research it appears he was trying to flee, I retract my previous statement, about the aggression with which he reversed as wrong)

In this instance the cop should definitely face a judge a jury for killing that kid. Being I don’t have all the facts as to why the officer approached him, I withhold judgment

I don't eat behind the wheel in my vehicle ever, but if I did, I wouldn't park and eat a drippy hamburger with the transmission in DRIVE would you? Since we're all speculating, can we speculate the driver made a conscious decision to dis-engage vehicles transmission from park or neutral and into drive and haul ass in a fraction of a second. If that's what he did he was practicing hyper situational awareness that he might be jacked. And if that's true why was his door unlocked? I think this rookie cop is f&cked anyway because the evidence will show what they want it to show. The fact that he has already been fired doesn't portend well for a finding of innocence. IMO
    There is no innocent verdict, there may not even be a justified verdict, it looks more and more like a guilty of criminal offense charges will be the verdict. JMHO.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    I question why body cam footage is immediately blasted all over mainstream news for everyone to become an armchair quarterback. How did they get it and who released it just like that? Or is this just another psychological operation of social engineering? Who knows? I just know how it makes people react and I never trust a damn thing on the news.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I question why body cam footage is immediately blasted all over mainstream news for everyone to become an armchair quarterback. How did they get it and who released it just like that? Or is this just another psychological operation of social engineering? Who knows? I just know how it makes people react and I never trust a damn thing on the news.
    Body cam footage was demanded by folks that thought they were indiscriminately targeted by members of the Law Enforcement Community. Not that they committed more than 75 percent of the Community Crimes, but it was unrealistic for Law Enforcement to hone in on repeat offenders to combat crime. These are the reasons that Local PD's should be defunded, why are they wasting their time with repeat offenders? When there are so many new criminals to gather up. LOL.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Body cam footage was demanded by folks that thought they were indiscriminately targeted by members of the Law Enforcement Community. Not that they committed more than 75 percent of the Community Crimes, but it was unrealistic for Law Enforcement to hone in on repeat offenders to combat crime. These are the reasons that Local PD's should be defunded, why are they wasting their time with repeat offenders? When there are so many new criminals to gather up. LOL.
    yeah you missed my point. I didn't ask why body cams were used LOL goodluck sir.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah you missed my point. I didn't ask why body cams were used LOL goodluck sir.
    Yeah, you asked why they blasted over all forms of media prior to any trial procedures, and you really expected anyone in the law abiding community to give you an honest answer?????? LMAO.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Poor performance all around by the cop. He should NEVER work in the Public Safety field ever again.

Every agency around us is well below staffing minimums. We are barely keeping at strength.

I have at least two new people on my shift now who are not even 21. We have a few more new hires that are 21 and under... it is NOT getting better anytime soon. We are losing experienced guys at a rate I've not seen in almost 25 years in the business, even the guy I went to the Night Vision Instructor Course last October (a great street cop, K9 handler, and SWAT member) pulled the plug a couple months ago. Truth told, I got a phone call last night from a friend who is a great cop EVERYONE on the internet would like asking advice as he's ready to pull the plug.

The years and years of anti-cop sentiment, unrealistic dissecting even "good" shoots and Uses of Force, continued judicial decisions that make the job harder, increasing favor for de-escalation of any and all incidents regardless of the situation at hand (I'm all for de-escalation whenever possible), having your every move and word recorded and scrutinized Monday am QB fashion (my body cam somehow was on when I went to the bathroom recently), courts and Juries who don't like convicting (research "Jury Apathy"), and many other issues are having an impact on the QUALITY of applicant today as well as effecting retention.

People who ten years ago wouldn't have made the cut are now having the red carpet rolled out for them as agencies are desperate. Sign on bonuses, retention bonuses, and other financial incentives still are not attracting the "right" person for the job.

Police are and should be held to a high standard, but when you are basically forced to hire who and what you can, you will see more of this type poor performance, bad judgement, and officers who take things personally. When you start taking things personally, bad stuff happens.

ETA- When I got promoted years ago to Corporal, my Supervisor told me "A good cop spends the first half of their career protecting the citizens from the criminal and the second half protecting the citizens from bad cops". It didn't take long as a Supervisor to understand that saying.

Last edited:

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Poor performance all around by the cop. He should NEVER work in the Public Safety field ever again.

Every agency around us is well below staffing minimums. We are barely keeping at strength.

I have at least two new people on my shift now who are not even 21. We have a few more new hires that are 21 and under... it is NOT getting better anytime soon. We are losing experienced guys at a rate I've not seen in almost 25 years in the business, even the guy I went to the Night Vision Instructor Course last October (a great street cop, K9 handler, and SWAT member) pulled the plug a couple months ago. Truth told, I got a phone call last night from a friend who is a great cop EVERYONE on the internet would like asking advice as he's ready to pull the plug.

The years and years of anti-cop sentiment, unrealistic dissecting even "good" shoots and Uses of Force, continued judicial decisions that make the job harder, increasing favor for de-escalation of any and all incidents regardless of the situation at hand (I'm all for de-escalation whenever possible), having your every move and word recorded and scrutinized Monday am QB fashion (my body cam somehow was on when I went to the bathroom recently), courts and Juries who don't like convicting (research "Jury Apathy"), and many other issues are having an impact on the QUALITY of applicant today as well as effecting retention.

People who ten years ago wouldn't have made the cut are now having the red carpet rolled out for them as agencies are desperate. Sign on bonuses, retention bonuses, and other financial incentives still are not attracting the "right" person for the job.

Police are and should be held to a high standard, but when you are basically forced to hire who and what you can, you will see more of this type poor performance, bad judgement, and officers who take things personally. When you start taking things personally, bad stuff happens.

ETA- When I got promoted years ago to Corporal, my Supervisor told me "A good cop spends the first half of their career protecting the citizens from the criminal and the second half protecting the citizens from bad cops". It didn't take long as a Supervisor to understand that saying.
    Your candor does not go unappreciated. Seems the gotta hire who applies mallady plagues us all. In all honesty, what are your views on deputizing/forming posses with qualified civilians/ex mil?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Your candor does not go unappreciated. Seems the gotta hire who applies mallady plagues us all. In all honesty, what are your views on deputizing/forming posses with qualified civilians/ex mil?

I think you would have the same issues... certain less desirable types would be drawn to the job/task, just like LE sometimes attracts the wrong personality. In the past, the agencies could easily filter those who exhibit problematic traits (anger management issues, authority complex, those who like to stretch the truth, those who like to dabble in the grey areas, etc.).

Those who slipped through the cracks were soon discovered and moved on down the road, or depending on the severity of the issue, fired. Now days, minor infractions that would have once got you fired are now tolerated. Cops in many places are allowed to "Resign in lieu of Investigation", which means they just go get hired somewhere else.

I'm extremely fortunate as I love my agency, I love the people I work for, I love the guys and gals on my shift, and I really appreciate the community where I work. BUT I HONESTLY HATE MY JOB.

80% of the shift we spend time on things we really shouldn't be involved with. A great deal of time, energy, and effort is spent "problem solving for adults who can't act like adults" vs. conducting activities to actually deter criminal activity.

I've had a great and rewarding career and will try to hang in for another five years so long as the local politics in general and environment stays about the same. Hopefully after Nov 2024 we will start to see a shift back towards the way things used to be.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom