• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Recondo 101

Expert
    I am partial to wildcats by general definition, not a factory manufactured cartridge. I have a few. Some I designed and made, others I copied or just reloaded.

Might as well start with the 1,000 yard cartridge which is also the most challenging to make, the 240 Laser, which is based on the 280 Remington case, body blown out with a minum taper, with a 40 degree shoulder that is .100 longer than a Gibbs. Created specifically to launch the 115 grain 6mm VLDs at 3,800 fps using 870 powder. Complication is the case is fire formed and it must br formed with a max load and in just one shot.If it does not fully form, toss and start all over. Tied the world record 1,000 yard 5 shot group. Walt Berger helped with the development.
    Rifle is a pre 64 Win with a 30" Lilja 1-7 twist barrel. Chamber was cut with a 243 Win reamer then a 243 AI 40 reamer. As the chamber reamer flutes are short, cutting is slow, with many chip clean outs required. Has a little brother, the 240 Baby Laser based on 6mm Rem Brass with the same process.
    Reloads with 243 cut off dies and a regular seater.

IMG_0351.jpeg

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I'll bite.

I like the concept of wildcats, but not all really make sense or do anything that you can't do with OTC solutions.

Case (pun intended) in point - I shot a 223AI for a number of years, convinced by others and the interweb gurus it was the chambering of all wildcat chamberings. Took many pounds of powder and a chronograph to convince me that it wasn't a better mousetrap. Now I just run the standard 223, which is within 100-150fps of any 223AI load I ever ran. At the end of the day, it just didn't make sense to me or seem worth it to continue to pursue the AI.

I cut my teeth on running a 6PPC before I just got bored with it. It was so easy to get to shoot accurately (I like short range stuff, <300) and the brass was of superior quality.
    Tried to duplicate with a 22PPC, decided that was too much so tried .100 short, and eventually the 220R. Brass prep is a labor of love. The new 22ARC looks intriguing, but I am not a heavy-bullet guy.
    Others? I had a 257 STW before I decided it didn't do anything for me that the 257Wby didn't do, and I got to avoid the brass making hassle by just going with the Bee or regular 25-06 in the 257 bore. But I think there may be more to life in the 257 bore with a different case, so yes, I'd wildcat the right case. IOW, going bigger does not always mean better, IME.

I had a 30Max, which was an improved 30-06 with a 40-degree shoulder once. Didn't keep it long and sold it. Didn't do anything the old 06 wouldn't do.
    Was going to re barrel my 270 to 277 Sherman, decided to just re-pipe it with a 1x8 twist to take advantage of the heavier bullets. The regular 270 seems to have no problem slinging them.

Next up, I'm building a 20 VarTarg. Have done the K-Hornet, didn't do anything the regular Hornet couldn't do....17MachIV was fun...had that in a Cooper. Gotta really like fooling with the 17s, tho. Might do something on a 222, of which I have tons of brass.
    I think the 30-30 improved might be a winner.
    I mean, I like the concept of a non-standard (aka wildcat), but they can get expensive with dies, reamers, gunsmithing, etc. I think you have to seriously study the bullet you want to shoot and then figure out the case. I think Hornady is finally doing that. There seems to be a lot of interest in the longer-range stuff (and maybe that's driven by PRS shooters). But are wildcats all that mo better?

Recondo 101

Expert
    Maybe this spot is more needed than I thought. Sounds like you do not have the library of reference works, software or build experiance, but want to have something different. Not getting what you expect can be prevented by prior planning.

I have a few .224 guns so before you jump off the deep end of the pool maybe it would be good idea to ask first.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    all I have is a 6.5WSM and it appears to be more than I want. This may make me pull it out and try some different loads. I think my main problem may have been seating depth issues. The other 2 my buddy built shoot fine shorter. I even watched one take a good sized doe at 600 yds with only about 8 minutes of up.

A hunting buddy that hunts in Heaven know, swore by his 20 VarTarg.

I'm tagging in to read up.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I am partial to wildcats by general definition, not a factory manufactured cartridge. I have a few. Some I designed and made, others I copied or just reloaded.

Might as well start with the 1,000 yard cartridge which is also the most challenging to make, the 240 Laser, which is based on the 280 Remington case, body blown out with a minum taper, with a 40 degree shoulder that is .100 longer than a Gibbs. Created specifically to launch the 115 grain 6mm VLDs at 3,800 fps using 870 powder. Complication is the case is fire formed and it must br formed with a max load and in just one shot.If it does not fully form, toss and start all over. Tied the world record 1,000 yard 5 shot group. Walt Berger helped with the development.
    Rifle is a pre 64 Win with a 30" Lilja 1-7 twist barrel. Chamber was cut with a 243 Win reamer then a 243 AI 40 reamer. As the chamber reamer flutes are short, cutting is slow, with many chip clean outs required. Has a little brother, the 240 Baby Laser based on 6mm Rem Brass with the same process.
    Reloads with 243 cut off dies and a regular seater.

View attachment 503026
    @Bowhntr6pt

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Very cool... at times I wish I had developed the interests I have now in my younger years. I look back and would have loved to had gotten into metal working, cutting, etc.

When you have the right tools, the right understanding, and most of all... the interest and passion, doing custom stuff like this seems very exciting as well as rewarding.

One of the best afternoons I had was watching Richard Smith (now deceased) from the no longer in business Long Hammock Barrels, cut, chamber, and crown a Douglas barrel for a FN SPR action I had. While child's play to him and the OP, it was just neat to watch a piece of steel become a barrel and then a barreled action.

I'm jelly... wish I could do such things.

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    I just ordered an enhanced 284 win reamer for this truck axle. I agree with @Bodhisattva It’s a lot of work and time to gain 40 fps with a steeper shoulder or a 1.5 degree difference. But I enjoy it
    View attachment 503128
    I enjoy the process too.
    My next 2 projects are a 20 Vartarg and a 222 Improved.
    I just think the niche is somewhere less than a 223 and more than a 222.
    I did several wildcats in T/C contenders (218MB, 22 KHornet, 6TCU, 7IHMSA, 219 Zipper, 357B&D .. to name a few).
    Hunting and varmint rifles too…
    And I shot a 6ppc for about 5 years, and fell down that rabbit hole of the 22short PPC. Still believe there is a hummer out there! And even though I don’t compete, I compete with myself and my techniques and enjoy an afternoon at the range.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Steve Brady once told me to never turn down a blank myself, just oder a contoured factory blank from a quality maker. So I decided to cut a blank to see how it went, Way too much sugar for a dime. But I did it just to see.

This is the to-be 35 Whelen turned blank for the 1985 Rem 700 BDL Long Action Build. that I have setting on the back burner, the 35 Whelen is of course a wildcat that was turned into a house cat. It is still a nice cast bullet cartridge with 200s.

IMG_0156.jpeg

Here is another two cats, for the AR-15 platform the 358 MGP with the TAC 30. The TAC 30 is a rimless 30 Herrett based on the 6.8 case and the 358 is very simlar to a rimless 357 Herrett based on a 6.8 case. The 358 requires a modified 6.8 magazine to properly feed the larger diameter bullets. These two are interesting hog gun cartridges for a 15.

IMG_0956.jpeg

Bodhisattva

Marksman
    The AR platform has certainly taken center stage in the world of cats, both domesticated and wild.

Never touched an AR until about 2 years ago, being strictly a bolt guy for 35+ years. I’m catching up…what an interesting design that lends itself to a myriad of creations.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The AR platform has certainly taken center stage in the world of cats, both domesticated and wild.

Never touched an AR until about 2 years ago, being strictly a bolt guy for 35+ years. I’m catching up…what an interesting design that lends itself to a myriad of creations.
    Barbie for men, lol.

I came to this thread expecting blueprints for an actual cat house. I am disappointed:

Recondo 101

Expert
    I like my steel and wood guns, but, the AR platform is hard to beat for a real hunting gun around these parts. Weather, dirt, grime, critters, 10 rounds or five rounds detachable magazines. Shooting house, 4 wheeler, tree stand, boat, etc. The AR just fits most needs. Then if you do a heavier caliber that 224 it can work well for most everything we hunt here.

Recondo 101

Expert
    In the rifle, single shots, the 357 Super Mah (Max) is a great performer for our area, shots fairly close normally and under 300 yards max.
    David White made a lot of H&R Handy Rifle conversions, stubs, etc. The Henry SS in 357 Mag would be a nice simple conversion. An old messed up #3 would make a very nice 357 project.
    I made two Martinis, a maple and a Walnut. This is the walnut stocked gun, the cartridge in a rifle is very accurate with a 180 grain spire point or 200 cast FP PB powder coated.

IMG_0411.jpeg

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    In the rifle, single shots, the 357 Super Mah (Max) is a great performer for our area, shots fairly close normally and under 300 yards max.
    David White made a lot of H&R Handy Rifle conversions, stubs, etc. The Henry SS in 357 Mag would be a nice simple conversion. An old messed up #3 would make a very nice 357 project.
    I made two Martinis, a maple and a Walnut. This is the walnut stocked gun, the cartridge in a rifle is very accurate with a 180 grain spire point or 200 cast FP PB powder coated.

View attachment 504371
    Nice. The one I'm talking about uses unformed 223 brass. It may not be the 357 max? 357AR? Just casual reading on my part. Looked like a fun cartridge.

Top Bottom