Who wants to help the new guy out with a hobby?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcgolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ok so I want to build an AR in 9mm but not sure exactly what to buy, much less the items I do know I need to buy I am having the same problem as everyone else, you cant find them or are out of my price range. It will be strictly for home defense or just a fun shooter when I have time. So give me some advice I know I need a lower (either dedicated 9mm or multi cal), lower kit, and either a complete upper or stripped upper. This is where I am lost if I need to build an upper what parts do I need to finish the job. Also will the poly lowers in the group buy be sufficient for what I am trying to accomplish?

Mac

P.S. if anybody has any reasonably priced parts they want to offer up I am more than willing to listen!

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are several Youtube Videos on building Uppers listing parts ect check them out

woody

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do yourself a favor. Wait until all this bullshit blows over and you will be able to buy your toy at a reasonable price.
    There are a lot a people out there, on & off this forum, with questionable upbringing, trying to screw anyone in your position, out of large quantities of money , for a piece of machinery that last month they couldn't even sell.
    Patience my son, all things will come to pass..................

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do yourself a favor. Wait until all this bullshit blows over and you will be able to buy your toy at a reasonable price.
    There are a lot a people out there, on & off this forum, with questionable upbringing, trying to screw anyone in your position, out of large quantities of money , for a piece of machinery that last month they couldn't even sell.
    Patience my son, all things will come to pass..................

Big giant X2.
    Patience.
    Now is the time.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depending on what you are wanting to do in 9mm I would think the poly lowers would be good to go. I don't know if you are looking for a carbine type 9mm or if you want to build a pistol type. If pistol (and I don't know how it works) but you would want to get the lower registered as a pistol otherwise I would think you would have to go the SBR route with a tax stamp.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wrong. You dont register a lower as a pistol or a rifle. You register it as a receiver. A receiver can be a pistol if it has never been assembled FIRST as a rifle or was not sold as a rifle from the manufacturer.

Please provide information that you know to be true, not assume to be true

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    wcgolf. Dunno what are you are in, but I have built quite a few ARs for not only myself but for others. I find great pleasure in being able to properly do so. If you are near me, I would be happy to teach you what you need to know and how to assemble an AR rifle and/or pistol (they're basically the same barring a few differences as per the law). I have not built a 9mm AR but the lower would be the same and would be the place to start. If you get an NFA lower receiver though (poly receiver, 2ndAmendmentShooting has a good price in the "gun deals" forum down below) you would need the other trigger group they offer in certain instances.

wcgolf

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have to admit patience is not something I have a on of. I like the idea of waiting, as I am in the process of sending i paperwork for CCW permit. And I deffinitly like the idea of building as i can spread the cost out some. I do not plan on a pistol style build at time. I also appreciate the link to the videos, however i can never find a specific list for a 9mm build. Please keep the comments coming guys and Thanks again!

ksenter-I am in Pensacola so when I get my plan together i would appreciate any help!

Mac

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you dont really need a specific list for a 9mm build. The differences will be a 9mm barrel, 9mm bolt (or bolt carrier group "bcg"), possibly a magazine block for the magwell. There are companies that make 9mm upper receivers and they partially block the dust cover making for a shorter extraction area. I dont believe there's anything overly special in the lower that needs to be done but I havent done a 9mm build before. I'd pick up some magazines and a lower receiver NOW if you ever want to build a 9mm AR style rifle though.

Sixgun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Here is my build. Mainly you need to decide what type of mag you plan on running and that will determine your magwell insert and which upper you choose. If I had to recommend one I'd go with the Colt style. Others like the Oly setup use sten mags I believe. Even Lone wolf has a lower that I believe accepts glock mags..

For my build I just took a standard AR15 Lower and purchased pro mags 9mm mag well insert, cheap but worked for me. Then went to JSC supply and bought their complete upper and bcg. Built it for around $650, but that was with a PSA $79 lower deal. I fired about 500 rounds through the gun with no failures.

If you can't wait, I'd secure a lower and some mags. Then wait out for the rest.

All in all, I wouldn't build another. Especially in todays market it would be difficult piecing it together without going over budget. I'd buy built, or build something else..

Attachments

• 9mm.jpg
      9mm.jpg
      106.7 KB · Views: 203

Dwatts1984

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Agreed youtube is the way to go for sure. Step by step videos. Might I add.. Blow up and print out a LOWER PARTS KIT diagram. Then organize the parts on the sheet. It will help you to identify and keep track of all the parts. Makes finding the parts that the guys on video are talking about much easier. There are a couple spring that can easier be screwed up! My first lower I had together in 30 mins. It only gets easier!

F

Freida Eleanora

Background checks and laws apply to lower receivers the same way they apply to fully completed rifles, pistols, etc. On the plus side, once you have the stripped lower receiver, you can order/buy all the other parts without any hassle and have them shipped directly to your door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wcwolf,

I too sometime soon want to build ar-9mm for the wife. Any info you get and care share let me know. I am out looking for parts all the time so pm me what you need and I will keep an eye open

bowserb

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A pistol caliber carbine is for fun target shooting. It's generally underpowered for hunting, and has only a small muzzle velocity advantage over its pistol counterpart. A pistol caliber carbine is a toy, so the question is what's that toy worth to you? Beretta makes excellent PCC's. Sig has a new one out this summer. Kel Tec makes one in 9mm that uses Glock magazines. Hi Point, usually considered just a maker of cheap handguns, makes carbines in 9, .40, and .45. Their owners rave about them. They cost $300 or less! I finally saw one at the NRA convention, and I tell you, I am going to get one. Fun, ugly, and cheap. First day, I'm going to the rifle range and see if I can reach a 100 yard target. I may even try my Nikon scope on it.

But I'll never let my AR go. It's got my grandson's name on it.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!

Top Bottom