Target Sports

Who does Cerakoting? Preferably in Baldwin County, AL.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm thinking I'm going to forego Aluma-Hyde-ing my Remington 700 bolt again and just go ahead and get it Cerakoted. I'm specifically interested in the P-109 Heat Cure Micro Slick coating. I know a few of the members do their own Cerakoting, but are there any in Baldwin or Mobile County that would be willing to coat my bolt? If so, would you recommend regular Cerakote or Micro Slick?

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I picked up a card from these guys a while back: http://gulfcoastshooting.com/gcsllc/

I'm not sure exactly where they're located, but I was just trying to find someone on the forum before I went to them.

I got a quote from these guys. They want $50 to aluminum oxide blast, degrease and coat with Micro Slick Cerakote.

Does anyone else, even in Pensacola, do Cerakote? This is what my bolt looks like right now. I would need it blasted because I'm having trouble getting all the Aluma-Hyde out of the nooks and crannies.

20130810_170550_zps08080188.jpg

20130810_170539_zpsa657e237.jpg

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Panhandle powdercoating ....off of 9 mile road does cerakote and slickkote.
    They did a saiga for me....did a very good job for under $200.
    Aircraft stripper and a wire brush would probably get it clean enough to blue it.
    You could also just polish/jewel it.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    not in Baldwin county,Al but precision tactical in Crestview does awesome work

Thanks for the info. Crestview might be a little too far, but I'll check them out.

Panhandle powdercoating ....off of 9 mile road does cerakote and slickkote.
    They did a saiga for me....did a very good job for under $200.
    Aircraft stripper and a wire brush would probably get it clean enough to blue it.
    You could also just polish/jewel it.

+1 for panhandle powder coat. They do good work.

Thanks, guys. I'll call them tomorrow morning.

Pigman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tim at Baywatch arms does amazing work. He just did my bolt with a new type of cerakote that acts like a lubricant. He has done more than a few of my weapons and has "Polished some turds".

Pigman

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I called Panhandle Powdercoating and Jamie initially told me $375! I then explained that I was only talking about the bolt, not the entire rifle and he told me I would have to bring it in to get a price.

After that, I called Precision Tactical, but I couldn't get anyone to answer.

Finally, I called Thomas back at Gulf Coast Shooting. He had originally told me I could meet him at his shop between 6:30pm and 10pm a couple days this week, or 8am to 2pm on Saturday because he has a normal day job. I get off work at 4:30, so I would have to sit around for a couple hours just to drop the bolt off and I didn't want to do that. I asked him if there was any way we could meet some other time and he was very considerate. We ended up meeting this morning before work.

He was very knowledgeable and told me he could coat the bolt body and all the engagement surfaces in the Micro Slick and coat the handle and bolt shroud in Armor Black to match the existing rifle finish. Overall I'm very impressed after meeting him and $50 seems like a pretty good deal considering everything he's going to do. He is even going to mask off the Devcon area so the aluminum oxide blasting doesn't wear away my blending job. Unfortunately, he said he's a little backed up at the moment and it might take a couple weeks to get it finished. Also, he called NIC Industries and they have discontinued their heat cure Micro Slick at the moment, but haven't released their new version yet. He asked about this particular application; they told him that the air cure version would be fine and there was minimal difference in strength and durability between the two.

As I said before, I'm feeling much better about spending that amount after meeting Thomas and talking to him this morning. He seems to really know what he's talking about and the pictures I've seen of his work are impressive.

I'll update this thread when I get the bolt back.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here are some pictures of my bolt, after about 30 shots and the bolt being cycled countless times. I'm very happy with it, except for the fact that the ejector hole was so filled with aluminum oxide that the cases wouldn't eject. No big deal since it only took about 5 minutes to fix that problem. The bolt shows some wear, which I expected, but I'm happy with the result.

20130919_121720_zpse53aa090.jpg

20130919_121811_zps35ae1402.jpg

20130919_121832_zpseda5750c.jpg

20130919_122212_zpse61e7334.jpg

20130919_121848_zps8709e465.jpg

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Tim at Baywatch arms does amazing work. He just did my bolt with a new type of cerakote that acts like a lubricant. He has done more than a few of my weapons and has "Polished some turds".

Pigman

+1 for Tim. High quality work and attention to detail and a super nice guy to top it all off. Work like this is all about detailed and through prep work, and Tim gets an A+. He has the proper equipment for blasting and proper baking/curing. He just did my S&W 500 and I could not be happier:

ga9e5asy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think after finding that I would completely disassemble the bolt. No telling where else the grit went. $0.02

I did that last night, to the extent that I could. I field stripped it and removed the ejector. Thomas had already cleaned and greased my firing pin and spring.

BIG B

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Tim just finished my SKS and it came out great! I plan on bringing him so other things I have to be coated. I would recommend Baywatch for any thing that you want Cerakoted.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Warning! Do not pay for cerakoting in advance! Don't give him any money until you get your firearm back -- and are satisfied with the result...

http://www.escambiaclerk.com/xml/xmlBM.asp?ucase_id=667723

http://www.northescambia.com/2012/0...ged-with-grand-theft-for-not-delivering-yetis

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/0...inst-walnut-hill-man-for-not-delivering-yetis

Fact: People paid Tim in advance for merchandise. They received neither the merchandise or a refund. All the excuses and explanations in the world will not change that fact. Criminal charges may have been dismissed -- but a civil case would still be appropriate.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom