• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    not .45 "Long" Colt. There never was a .45 "short" Colt, hence no .45 "Long" Colt, just .45 Colt. There is a .45acp though. Send me to the woodshed if I'm wrong, lol.
    I think the misnomer of long colt was started due to the use of 45 Schofield cartridge at the time, also in revolvers by colt at the time.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

45 Colt​

.45 Colt
    The.45 Colt, also referred to as.45 Long Colt, .45 LC, or 11.43×33mmR, is a rimmed straight-walled handgun cartridge dating to 1872. It was originally a black-powder revolver round developed for the Colt Single Action Army revolver. This cartridge was adopted by the U.S. Army in 1873 and served as an official US military handgun cartridge for 14 years. While it is sometimes referred to as.45 Long Colt or.45 LC, to differentiate it from the very popular.45 ACP, and historically, the shorter.45 S&W Schofield, it was only an unofficial designation by Army quartermasters. Current catalog listings of compatible handguns list the caliber as.45 LC and.45 Colt. Both the Schofield and the.45 Colt were used by the Army at the same period of time prior to the adoption of the M1882 Government version of the.45 Schofield cartridge.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's small anomalies in the gun industry. S.A.A.M.I. doesn't list 25ACP, 32ACP, 380ACP and 45ACP. They are all listed as .XX "Automatic". When SAAMI started they wouldn't accept cartridges with "Trademarked" Names. Col. Jeff Cooper's baby was the 40Super but Norma's first production put it on steroids as the 10mm Automatic.

Don't we sometimes Id 7.62 Soviet, 45-70 without the Govt, the 357 Mag without S&W, the 44 Mag without Remington; there's more without getting into metric names.

We only need to know what cartridges are safe to use in our chambers. The rest is just a rose by another name.

Top Bottom