• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ted-hurst

Master
    Remington Score Master Model 511 with a Weaver B4 scope. When I was 9 my uncle gave it to me and it was his first rifle, I'm 47 now and still have it.

Ted

Garbo

Expert
    Remington Score Master Model 511 with a Weaver B4 scope. When I was 9 my uncle gave it to me and it was his first rifle, I'm 47 now and still have it.

Ted

That is so cool. There are several that have mentioned still owning or knowing where the first gun they ever shot is.

That's good stuff.

OMRBH

Shooter
    Either a single shot bolt action Winchester or Savage .22LR. First shotgun was a single shot .410.

Giortire

Expert
    A Ted Williams single shot, lever action .22. I wish I still had it, but it was stolen twenty years ago.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    Single shot 410.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    For me it was my uncles .22 in Ohio. He used to shoot the Gophers or ground hogs, can't remember which, from about 200-300 yards across the farm. It was like that "Wack-A-Mole" game in the arcade, they would pop up behind some rocks and he would pick them off. We shot that thing so much, I think I was 10 or 11 at the time. Kind of sparked the flame of my love of shooting guns and hunting.

Patoz

Marksman
    Ruger 10-22 I purchased from Biggs Sporting Good Downtown Pensacola, for $67.00 in 1971. I traded it several years later to a friend who has since passed away, and I'm hoping his son still has it, and I can get it back.

nb&twil

Expert

Ted
    Awesome stuff!
    What a cool thread. 4-5 years ago it might have been an interesting read, but now that I have a 3yr old daughter and a son that will be 1yr this month, this whole topic becomes so much more real to me. My daughter says she wants to hunt "her" deer with me now. Hopefully we'll have a chance to go soon and just sit in a shooting house for 30-45 minutes before dark and see if she can handle sitting still and how she likes being out there. The first firearm she will fire is the 7mm-08 I bought for her and my wife to shoot earlier this year.
    My first shot was through an old borrowed .308. 2 weeks later killed my first deer. One of the best experiences of my life. Thank God for loving friends that were kind enough to let me tag along several years ago and allow me to discover such a passion for the outdoors.

Bean Counter

Marksman
    My son's oldest 22 in the boyscouts training. My youngest could take that yet so he got the PS90 at the range.

Seanpcola

Dad wasn't a gun person or hunter. Nothing at all against guns just didn't have it as a hobby. He wanted me to be exposed though so one November when I was around 10 YO his company had a turkey shoot and he took me to it. I remember like it happened yesterday and that was 45 years ago. I shot a Remington 1100 in 12G. Bounced me around and fist shot I didn't keep the buttstock tight so I got a helluva bruise and pain for a day or two. Fell in love with shooting right then but for my own sake dad got me a .410 single shot, don't remember what brand or model. Got stolen from me by a worthless ex-stepbrother. Had BB guns and pellet rifles before that though.

XD45

Master
    the first firearm i fired was my granddaddy's single shot 12gauge.

We were walking across the edge of a hayfield along a fencerow looking to flush a covey of quail. We only had the one shotgun and i was 5 years old. After we reached the woodline at the opposite end of the hayfield my granddaddy asked if i wanted to shoot the shotgun....duh..of course i did. He backed me up to a small pine tree and told me to shoot a pine cone that hung from a limb of another pine 10 yards away and 5 feet off the ground. I lined up on the pine cone pulled the hammer back and pulled the trigger. The shotgun was to large for me and i had the stock under my arm instead of on my shoulder and the recoil jerked the shotgun back and my index finger got bent backwards in the trigger guard.....it hurt. I took it well and didn't cry but didn't shoot a shotgun for another year sticking with a marlin .22.

What was the first firearm you fired?

grandmothers 12ga single

Ken232

Marksman
    red ryder BB then graduated to a Stevens 16Ga Double 311 thats a heck of a transition people LOL(note to self that day Keep stock tight to shoulder or big bruise appears) Ow LOL

1911Junky

Master
    Other than my BB guns, my first was my dad's Harrington & Richardson single shot .410 he gave me that was his as a kid. Still have it and shoots great.

The Pitt

Expert
    Stevens single shot 410 (94B maybe?). Still have it but its broke. :frown: I should drop it off with a gunsmith one of these days...

Gravity3694

Expert
    Winchester 67 Boys Rifle. My grandfather bought it around 1943-44 as my dad's first rifle and I got it later on as my first rifle. Even though its a junk rifle by modern standards, its definitely a keeper.

Snow Bird

Master
    Stevens 87A I think. Been so long I'm not sure if thats right. It was my uncles and the folks bought me one just like it. It would shoot shorts long or long rifle. Shorts and longs you had to lock the bolt because they would not work the action and would not work on sem auto. Pushed the bolt stright in and locked it. Like alot of you I sold it and am sorry.

Top Bottom