What is the Longest Shot You have Ever Made a Kill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Mine was several years ago in Luverne Alabama. We drove up to look at a hayfield and there was a doe standing at the opposite end from the gate we came in on. I took my time and got really comfortable made what I thought was a good shot.......and dropped that doe. We walked it off and stepped it at about 350 yards but the guy that hunts the property swears it was closer to 400 yards.

What is the Longest Shot You have Ever Made a Kill?

scoob

Shooter
    not a kill, but, i was at ergc on the third range over, shootin at a root on the back berm with my sw 5906 9mm and was hittin on about 90% of the rounds in my clips. my guess is it is between 150 and 200 yds. could be wrong. feel free to correct me if yall know. still not bad if i do say lol

Welldoya

Master
    The shot I'm most proud of wasn't so much that it was long but that it was right at dark, 75 yards and the 8 point was in full stride. He was haulin'. He piled up and fell right where I hit him.
    The longest shot I ever witnessed was when a buddy and I were standing on a dirt road on a club near Repton after the morning hunt.
    A buck came out on the road. My buddy got down on one knee and fired his 300 Win Mag BAR. The deer fell over in the road and was kicking. The shooter started running and I stepped over and got the truck and caught up with him.
    Blood was everywhere but the deer was gone. We tracked good blood for two hours and never found him. We stepped it off and it was 550 yards.

D_Shane

Shooter
    752 yards. Utah. Mule with a 4x5 31-1/2"

helo_hunter

Expert
    413 paces, Wyoming, Mule Deer, A3-03 Springfield 30-06. I am still impressed I made that shot

Clay

Master
    197 yds....8pt, 185lb whitetail deer above Wellsboro, PA with a 7mm A-Bolt.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    300yds,,,,,,
    hit my paper plate target 3 outta 3 shots
    first time shooting past 200

3 months ago I had never shot over 100yds

I did kill a 5 pt with a 9mm carbine at 80yds a couple of years ago

Last edited:

Tungoil

Expert
    two in one evening from a climber. First was a hog at 566yds. Next was a deer at 600. Officer Joe Murphy helped me measure. Can't do it any more. Getting older and shakier. Did get a 45# doe at 452 measured yard shooting out of a game warderns personal truck window. Ask Steve Holmes about it if you see him. He called bs on me till we got to it.
    First two were taken with a 7mmSTW. The latter with a 7mm-08.

Ric-san

Master
    Back in the 70's while on vacation in Mexico visiting family as a kid, my Father had a Colt .45 wheel gun w/6" barrel and we had stopped near a damn to relax...We had some of this friends with him and they saw what I'm guessing to be a stork like bird that seemed to be 100+ yds from where we had stopped...on a whim he bet his buddy he could shoot the bird and I'll be damned he did...he aimed center mass and got the bird in the neck...my older brother ran over to recover it and my Father felt bad he killed the bird for sport, but I still hear that story every now and then...(he's 83 yrs old now), and I have to remind him I was there also...

TraderDan

Master
    I shot a mountain dew can off the roof of my car on a bet, 6" S&W 357 mag at aprox 150 yds. I was really bullsh**ing my buddy when I shot, cause I was holding quite high and expected to miss, but the can blew off the roof , I caught the top rim. He never would bet me again.

also a flying crow at aprox whay I would guess to be about 500 or so yds high. We were shooting squirls in a dump area when my friend spotted the bird circling overhead, looked like a normal crow, he said bet you can't hit it. I was shooting a S&W 8" .22 revolver and just pulled and took aim and "phew" , I said who could have hit that bird that high anyway. It was prob 3-5 minutes later he said "Hey Hey Look the bird is getting lower and damb if he wasn't circling lower and lower, it took about 10 min to come down , and had a 4 foot wingspan, hit him in the body.
    Shot a piegon out of the air off a dirt bike with same 357 revolver at about 25-30 yds, turned the bird into a puff of feathers.
    s
    All these were simply luck shots to say the least, and nobody ever believes the story even when the witness confirms.

brnbser

Shooter
    i was the foreman of a 7k ac hunting ranch in TX and out shooting coyotes with the owners highly customized montana 270, in a flat 800 ac corn field we stepped it off a 897 paces, really didn't think i had a chance of hitting her but she was drt. more proud of a 120 yds on a small basket 8 cull buck with a 44 mag, 7 1/4 barrel scoped.

brnbser

Shooter
    not even sure I can see that far now, that was in 89' and I had just went through certification on the 1k yd range at Camp Bullis around the same time.

Welldoya

Master
    Back in the 70s my cousin and I were crossing Philip's Inlet in a boat to hunt in Point Washington. It was early morning. A duck starting running across the water preparing to take flight probably 60 yards away. My cousin took aim with his Single Six (9" barrel) and actually hit him. Now that I look back, there was no sense in doing it but 20 year olds do some strange things.

HEIST

Master
    My best shot was a neck shot on a walking doe at 150 yds with my REM model 700 .243.

Top Bottom