• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been buying guns lately. My rather disturbing observation is this. I asked a question and the answer is not coming in a timely manner or seems that there is deception or intentional deception in the answer to the question about the for sale item.
    And/or, the seller really does not have a clue what they are selling.
    My questions asked are not just for funzies. It is because the seller did not post even the basics (bbl length,chambering,etc,etc.
    This couild be intentional to get free bumps. Some to the tune of 5-8 PER DAY. THIS IS NOT FAIR TO THE OTHER SELLERS THAT PUT ALL THE INFO ON THEIR FOR SALE ITEM.
    DECEPTION - -> I FEEL THAT WITH SOME SELLERS IT IS INTENTIONAL. The rest have no idea what they are selling. I ask questions like - ->what condition is this weapon in ?? Please answer in XX%. The seller comes back with "excellent".
    I PASS !!
    Is this just me or are other members expierancing this ?? --- SAWMAN

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    What does bbl mean? I get that its short for barrel length, but what does it stand for?

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Can you not ask questions via message? That way, not free bump?

Keep in mind, lots of folks have guns, and to them, they are just a gun. Those more serious into firearms are focused on or interested in things such as bbl length, sights, finish, round counts, etc.
    I couldn't agree more with SAWMAN on this issue. Sellers don't seem to have an understanding of what a serious buyer wants to know before they agree to meet a stranger in a strange place with hundred dollar bills in their pocket. I know what questions to ask before I agree to meet. However, Bowhntr6pt is correct. If you ask your questions in a PM instead of asking the question in the ad itself, it won't get a free bump.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I couldn't agree more with SAWMAN on this issue. Sellers don't seem to have an understanding of what a buyer wants to know before they agree to meet a stranger in a strange place with hundred dollar bills in their pocket. I know what questions to ask before I agree to meet. However, Bowhntr6pt is correct. If you ask your questions in a PM instead of asking the question in the ad itself, it won't get a free bump.
    Eh....guy only wanted to meet me at the range for a trade because he didn't feel comfortable meeting a stranger. When the trade didn't work out, I offered him cash for his and he met me on the side of the road. Money will drive you to do crazy things.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stop and consider in what context "bbl" is used.
    But you guys are right re. PM's to the seller.
    HOWEVER - -> In the past I have PM'ed questions to the seller and they have answered on open forum. --- SAWMAN

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    What does bbl mean? I get that its short for barrel length, but what does it stand for?

Where Does That 2nd 'B' in the Abbreviation for Crude Barrels (BBL) Come From?​

Oct. 17, 2006 7:33 PM ET9 Comments3 Likes
    On a side note, here's a little history lesson from your friends at Ticker Sense. You might have noticed long ago that the official abbreviation for barrels (when referencing a barrel of crude oil) is "BBL," despite the obvious fact that the word "barrel" lacks a second "b."
    What are the origins of this mysterious "b"? The answer, courtesy of the Energy Information Administration:
    In the early 1860's, when oil production began, there was no standard container for oil, so oil and petroleum products were stored and transported in barrels of all different shapes and sizes (beer barrels, fish barrels, molasses barrels, turpentine barrels, etc.). By the early 1870's, the 42-gallon barrel had been adopted as the standard for oil trade. This was 2 gallons per barrel more than the 40-gallon standard used by many other industries at the time. The extra 2 gallons was to allow for evaporation and leaking during tranport (most barrels were made of wood). Standard Oil began manufacturing 42 gallon barrels that were blue to be used for transporting petroleum. The use of a blue barrel, abbreviated "bbl," guaranteed a buyer that this was a 42-gallon barrel.

Last edited:

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Stop and consider in what context "bbl" is used.
    But you guys are right re. PM's to the seller.
    HOWEVER - -> In the past I have PM'ed questions to the seller and they have answered on open forum. --- SAWMAN
    When this has happened to me, and it has, I just invite them to negotiate or reply with a PM. If they're serious sellers they will. I'm not giving bumps to sellers that don't answer all my questions completely.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    This has become a very diverse group of gun owners and enthusiasts. I've noticed the majority of new members are not seasoned veterans of firearms but newbies trying to learn they're way around all the misinformation and mountains of opinions. Sometimes their FS ads reflect this. And yeah, the preferred method is to PM with questions. Mods try to keep the clutter to a minimum.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'd rather see a For sale ad with a reasonable price and little information than an ad with an unrealistic price getting bumped for 5 years.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    You do know if it didn't bother you they wouldn't enjoy it so much.

Top Bottom