DK Firearms

What handgun powder do you recommend...???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    New to the hobby of reloading and there is way too many different powders listed in the books...any good choices and why...thanks

Rick

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Well Im looking to get 125 g bullets for 9mm, and its for target shooting...thanks again. Once I learn more about reloading Im also going to do .40 s&w and .45 acp.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't help you on 9 or 40. Never loaded them, probably never will.

For .45ACP about all I have ever used is Red Dot, Bullseye, or Unique with lead semi-wadcutters but they work well with jacketed bullets too. I just bought some Hornady XTPs to try to work up some SD loads but I have not started that project yet.

I have put a few thousand of these .45s down range.
    CAST 200 SWC RED DOT 4.6 gr.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm old fashioned. I use Bullseye and Unique. Bullseye: cheap $ per charge. Unique: Middle of the road, not real fast, not real slow. If they don't give the needed accuracy, I go to AA#2 or #5.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    700x in all 3 cal. Works well with cast and copper jacket. Really like it in the 45 with 185 swc cast. Haven't used any of the others...Used it in shotgun loads so I had a keg to use up.CHECK YOUR MANUAL for load. I used in the middle of the powder charge for 9mm 40cal 45 and it really worked well for me Happy Loading

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started out with win 231.... It worked well for my .45 rounds. My next batch of .45, I used accurate #2 .....it worked equally well...but I got more rounds per pound of powder. I've used accurate #5 as well but have quit because it doesn't work any better....and I can't even get 1000 rounds per lb. of powder.
    The #2 works great in my 9 mm and .380 rounds as well.
    Only trick to the #2 is that since it takes less powder per charge....your cases will not be full, and you could possibly double charge a round if you aren't keeping track. For me, the much better economy is worth having to be extra careful with the charging.....which you should be anyway.
    The main benefit of the #2 is that it is a faster burning powder than the others...and is GREAT for short barreled pistols.....allowing higher velocities....but still safe pressures if you stay within the recommended charge weights.

Last edited:

sig2

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Alliant Power Pistol and also Hodgdon Clays Universal when I can't get Power Pistol. I use it for 9mm. .380 and .45.

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I vote for titegroup in 9mm, 40, and 45. Easier to find, and costs less than 231. I get good accuracy in all three. I get 12,000 rounds out of 8 lbs in the 40 and make major power factor.

Top Bottom