• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    More time with the thermal. I see why these ate prefered for night fime ops. No fog. Can id rabbits, deer inside 100 easily. Was hoping to get a coon. No luck heard coyotes need to get my call located.
    Heck of an endorsement Rebel. What model is that again?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Earlier I said I had a goal of sizing and lubing 2,000 .303 British type cast bullets. After I reached that goal, I just kept at it, doing some everyday. This morning I finished sizing and lubing all my .303 cast bullets on hand. I ended up with 4,647 sized and lubed, ready to load. Went through a bit of lube, but I buy my lube in 1 lb bulk blocks, melting it (in a double boiler) and pouring it into the lube sizer...Greatly reduces the cost of lube. Midway cost of stick of lube ~$7. My cost using bulk is ~$1 a stick.

The only problem I had was when counting and listening to Christmas music at the same time and the song 12 Days of Christmas was playing...all that singing of numbers over and over coming into my brain while trying to count.:oops:

Thinking of getting back into military rifle matches at the ERML club. To that end, I bought a pack of the targets currently being used so I can see if my eyes are good enough to see and aim at the black at 100yd and for practicing as Step #1. Step #2 is find some Mosin Nagant stripper clips since rapid reloading is needed for one of the stages (10 shots in 70 seconds) and practice at performing a rapid reload. Got a Finnish M65 field cap coming to wear when shooting my Finnish Mosin Nagant.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Heck of an endorsement Rebel. What model is that again?
    ATN Thor LT. It's an entry level thermal but works. Don't know how well it would work in 93 degree weather or higher humidity. In brush and trees it works better than my sightmark wraith NV.
    It did stutter, freeze, have to be reset when shooting about 3 times. out of about 40 shots. 22 mag rifle. Semi Auto. Rechargeable battery, supposed to get 10 hours out of a charge. The colder weather seemed to drain the battery faster. Needs way more testing.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Earlier I said I had a goal of sizing and lubing 2,000 .303 British type cast bullets. After I reached that goal, I just kept at it, doing some everyday. This morning I finished sizing and lubing all my .303 cast bullets on hand. I ended up with 4,647 sized and lubed, ready to load. Went through a bit of lube, but I buy my lube in 1 lb bulk blocks, melting it (in a double boiler) and pouring it into the lube sizer...Greatly reduces the cost of lube. Midway cost of stick of lube ~$7. My cost using bulk is ~$1 a stick.

The only problem I had was when counting and listening to Christmas music at the same time and the song 12 Days of Christmas was playing...all that singing of numbers over and over coming into my brain while trying to count.:oops:

Thinking of getting back into military rifle matches at the ERML club. To that end, I bought a pack of the targets currently being used so I can see if my eyes are good enough to see and aim at the black at 100yd and for practicing as Step #1. Step #2 is find some Mosin Nagant stripper clips since rapid reloading is needed for one of the stages (10 shots in 70 seconds) and practice at performing a rapid reload. Got a Finnish M65 field cap coming to wear when shooting my Finnish Mosin Nagant.
    Do you have stripper clips for 762x54R

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Do you have stripper clips for 762x54RThin
    Not yet. Lots of new made Chinese knockoffs (mixed reviews on whether they work or not or even fit properly in the rifle). Bid on some non-Chinese ones on Ebay, but someone wanted them much more than me. I think there were some in Dean's room, but who know's when we'll be able to access that room. Will look on GB and Ebay tomorrow.

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Not yet. Lots of new made Chinese knockoffs (mixed reviews on whether they work or not or even fit properly in the rifle). Bid on some non-Chinese ones on Ebay, but someone wanted them much more than me. I think there were some in Dean's room, but who know's when we'll be able to access that room. Will look on GB and Ebay tomorrow.
    I'll check my pile of stuff. I think I may have 2-3.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Finished my castle in the sky! If you thought assembling kids toys was tough, ha. Very sturdy. Going to test sit it today. May have to move it left. Spiked down, may add guide wires. Makes for about a 100 yard shot to trees. Going to set up a gong on plot to test 308 and 22 mag.
    1000010879.jpg

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ladders in the woods.

Mitigate the risks you can. Let someone else know your plan, if by yourself. Harness and a stout carabiner for the ascent/descent. A rope to hoist and lower heavy gear. Depending on the steps and rails, add some traction. Carry your phone and a 2-way radio on your body, hopefully in a not-easy-to-crush-if-I-fall pocket, Etc.

Injuries from falls suck.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    @ Rebel_Rider1969 an eye through the floor...a screw down trailer tie down or similar in the ground below... and a cable with a turnbuckle in it to tighten it up and you will be GTG

I picked up some .270WSM brass, some .25-06 brass and about 600 .300ACC new LC brass primed cases. Now I just need to sit down and order a few thing to finish a couple of items up once my new CC get here. Was in Naples this weekend and got hacked while traveling.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    @ Rebel_Rider1969 an eye through the floor...a screw down trailer tie down or similar in the ground below... and a cable with a turnbuckle in it to tighten it up and you will be GTG

I picked up some .270WSM brass, some .25-06 brass and about 600 .300ACC new LC brass primed cases. Now I just need to sit down and order a few thing to finish a couple of items up once my new CC get here. Was in Naples this weekend and got hacked while traveling.
    Didn't think about that, smart! Less wires off the corners. May need to do some trimming.
    Screenshot_20231205-152823_Gallery.jpg

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Didn't think about that, smart! Less wires off the corners. May need to do some trimming.
    my buddy has several that are done that way...it runs from the center of the floor to the center underneath. You can cut the part sticking up through the floor even with the nut. Mine have and addition tube at the bottom all the way around. I use cut off conduit with swing chain wrapped around it. Get it tight and hit the stake a few more times to get it real tight. The chain is attached to the conduit with a 1/4"x ? bolt and nylock nut with washers

just picked up a few boxes of 17HMR in a deal

Last edited:

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Would these work?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Would these work?

Based upon the photograph, they appear to be older design Mosin stripper clips as opposed to new made design Chinese ones. Per reviews and videos, the new made Chinese may or may not work as opposed to older or "original" ones that do work. Friday, a friend that owns a local gun shop is giving me some new made Chinese ones to try. If they don't work out, I'll pursue the link you sent. Thank you!

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Took my 1942 vintage Finnish Civil Guard M39 out to sight it in for 100yd shooting. As suspected, using my old data card info from over a decade before, it was close but needed tweaking. With the old setting it was a bit low for the 10 ring. Had to raise it 1 notch and it was centered using a 6 o'clock hold. I need offhand practice.

Regarding this particular rifle: 10,500 were made for the Civil Guard in the early 1940's. Per Finland's 1944 treaty with Russia, the Civil Guard was to be disbanded. Civil Guard firearms were transferred to the Army and marked "SA" indicating now Finnish Army property. This rifle never was stamped SA...an oversight or it was never turned over to the Army in an act of civil disobedience? It was issued to the Raahe Region Civil Guard (a small region in the western part of Finland, not where the fighting with Russia took place).

Wore my recent purchase Finnish field cap for shooting the Finnish rifle. A little chilly out, so the hat felt good on my head. My wife actually likes it on me.

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I love the 10mm. First time shooting one and I love it. I shot a bunch of 180gr factory stuff. Then quite a few Underwood 220gr hardcast and Underwood 180gr JHP. I’m going to start looking for a Glock 29 now.

Top Bottom