• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungoil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are right about that Ray. Been some good shooting WX also. Cool and breezy so no fan needed for bbl cool.
    Have hunted several mornings at a buddies club so missed the early range sessions.
    Need to shoot my fairly newly acquired 450Bushmaster also before James begs me to buy it. Hopefully the recoil energy will not be more than my PRC but will run the numbers. Would like to try some of the factory 395gr sub loads before I try to load something up . The appropriate hunting bullets for sub is the problem.---- SAWMAN
    Where do you go to shoot? A range, the woods, ???.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That expanding subsonic bullet thing is or was my reason for acquiring a 350 legend. I intended to shoot hornady 180 XTP pistol bullets out of it. But hornady started offering the 190 grain SubX 30 caliber bullet and I find it does everything thing I wanted when loaded in the 300blk. I’m thinking of selling my 350 legend supplies and just sticking with the BLK. The only down side is the Sub X bullets are more expensive, 34 cents compared 22 cents for the 180 grain XTP.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Got some pure copper Chore Boy pads. Wrapped strands around a bore brush and went to town on the leaded 43 Spanish bore. As I’d pull the brush out the breech, I’d find specs of lead on the action pulled from the bore. A zillion strokes later I think it’s gone. Starting with fine polishing compound then extra fine then super fine, I worked on the bore to make it smoother and perhaps remove any lead left I couldn’t easily see. I now have the bore wet with Hoppes to see if it reacts with anything left behind.

Received my .443” bullet sizing die to lube my Spanish cast bullets without sizing them so they will better fit the bore.
    "Pure Copper" can't be stressed enough.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been a member of Pensacola Rifle & Pistol club for about 16 years now. Great place to shoot. Great bunch of highly expieranced shooters and reloaders. 100% NRA club.

There is no reason to get beat up by the Legend when the Blackout (for you) will accomplish the same thing. Especially if you do not need the " pluses" of trajectory and energy transfer. ---- SAWMAN

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Shot another cowboy match yesterday with the Panhandle Cowboys in Cantonment. Finished second in my category and 4th overall. I am having a blast doing this, if any of you are interested shoot me a pm for more info or come on out to watch a match. Panhandle Cowboys shoot the second sunday of the month at Escambia river gun club.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    "Pure Copper" can't be stressed enough.

A friend gave me the Chore Boy pure copper tip, as pure copper is softer than bbl steel and wouldn't harm the bore, but was harder than lead. Went to 3 stores to buy...that ought to be easy to find...none had pure copper ones. Reading the box labels carefully, I came to the conclusion that they were all copper plated stainless steel. Running stainless steel repeatedly down a 140 year old rifle bore...no way. Ordered the right pads from Amazon. The box will say "pure copper" on the front.

Tungoil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been a member of Pensacola Rifle & Pistol club for about 16 years now. Great place to shoot. Great bunch of highly expieranced shooters and reloaders. 100% NRA club.

There is no reason to get beat up by the Legend when the Blackout (for you) will accomplish the same thing. Especially if you do not need the " pluses" of trajectory and energy transfer. ---- SAWMAN
    Harry Stover still on the top side?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Harry is still above dirt. Talked to him at the club a couple weeks ago.
    He still competes and is still good at it. Great guy. Tons of knowledge. Been learning from him since I joined the club.
    Members like him is why I am in the club. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would have more penetration James.
    The pedals would peal back,and not seperate as if driven too fast. I believe that even at 2400 or so,these would be a great killer of deer and any sized hog.
    I would definately put it on bone going in. As I will definately do out of my 1:10 twist 10.5":AR. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Got all my stuff together and loaded up 5 rounds to test in the 43 Spanish rolling block at the neighbor's range. It was a starting load of 11gr Unique with my 373gr cast bullets. Bullets run through a .443" sizing die to lube. Bullets as-cast are .443", so the die does little to no sizing. As best I could measure, the groove diameter of the roller is .442".They have a very small bevel at the bullet base, and doing an inside the neck chamfer of the brass, I could seat them without the need to bell the case mouth. In fact, so far, I don't even need to resize any part of the fired brass, just put in a new primer, powder and bullet. No need to crimp the bullet. So, the expensive brass ought to last many many reloads.

I slowly fired the 5 shots, looking in the bore for leading after each shot. NO leading that I could see, and I really really looked over and over. Even put solvent in the bore after shooting to see if it would give lead indication...it didn't. Windage was on (great, cause there are no windage adjustments possible). Bullets hit high (not unusual in my experience with old black powder military rifles sighted for longer range) at close range. The target was 29yd away in keeping with my old eyes. Accuracy-wise they shot way better than the custom reloads I'd initially shot. 1st shot clean bore was a touch lower than the other 4 shots, which were touching each other with a center to center measurement of .45", which would equate (all else being equal) to 1.55" at 100yd (I'm not capable of that!, but in theory the rifle is).

I was gonna go higher charges with Unique and then onto other powders to find an accurate load. Will be firing more of that mild Unique load and may not do other powder charge testing if they keeping shooting like they did today. I did seat the bullets out further than factory specs, wanting to get them closer to the rifling, hoping for better accuracy; easy to do in a single shot. No problem chambering the longer rounds...old BP cartridge guns often have "generous" throats to help allow for fouling and allow subsequent rounds to chamber without a need for frequent cleaning. The cartridge box with handle that Sawman gave me fit them perfectly.

509715CC-D5CB-4EDC-A15B-B511EEB9A99F.jpeg
    2C81EA26-1831-4B25-A6A5-B6BD24EBBB33.jpeg

Tungoil

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I saw the P,R&PC property a good while back when l was working with a crew cleaning up storm timber off that property between the club and hwy 29, which seemed to make a great privacy buffer. What a great looking facility for safe shooting and fun with not only members but family as well. It had grills and restrooms if memory serves me.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    We do have that.
    Plus when other clubs were closed we were open. No GOD like RSO's walking around either. No check in and out. Just drive in,set up,and shoot.
    No guest fees. Who wants to invite someone to go shooting with you but tell them that it will cost them $$.
    LOVE MY CLUB !! --- SAWMAN

timc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Picked up a 365xl. Also ordered some more 12 and 15 round mags for it. Now just to decide what red dot to put on it

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bit of a dreary weather morning, but most any day you can shoot is good. Met the guys at the range and brought my 43 Spanish rolling block and all 20 loaded rounds. Today's plan: shoot all 20 rounds at the 35yd plinking range...is the windage good?...can I hit cans?...does the bore show leading?

Windage good! Cans hit! No leading showing! I'm a happy owner (rifle bought off the forum from tjlay96).

I'm seeing a pattern in part of my gun life: Find older gun that uses obsolete ammo, yet ammo can be made with effort, so I take the challenge. Examples: Martini .310 Cadet, Swiss M1889 (uses GP90 ammo not modern 7.5x55 GP11 ammo), Swedish M1867/89 8x58RD, Danish 11.7x51R, Argentine M1879 43 Spanish. For some I can form the cases; for others, specialty makers sell the cases, new made or formed from other brass. All are using bullets that I cast.

Yep, a good day..

Top Bottom