• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Well, subsonic will be subsonic. Have to test with a variety of ammo, both standard and high velocity to see how they perform in YOUR pistol. Test for both velocity, accuracy and function. I keep a variety on hand for testing any .22 firearm I get.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    The only squib round I have ever experienced was with Winchester M22 subsonic in my TX22 with a suppressor. A round fired out of battery rupturing the case. The bullet lodged in the barrel and I had powder and soot all over my hands.

The internet says it takes a minimum of a 16 inch barrel to achieve complete powder burn (maximum velocity) with 22lr ammo.

If you just want to be able to plink without ear plugs, most any ammo is pleasant to shoot in a suppressed 22 handgun.

You can hear the bullet strike the paper target out to 50 yards.

5lima30ret

Master
    Academy has the CCI Subsonic in the 40 gr Game point flavor. I have never used the Game points but they get great reviews on the rimfire forums.
    *edit according to the box 1050 fps (probably rifle barrel)

Midnight son

Expert
    Much easier with a pistol. Ruger makes one of the new mk4's threaded specifically with a 4ish inch barrel to PREVENT most high velocity. 22's from going super. It works, and you can insure proper functioning. As Dazee says you really have to chrono in your gun. I was testing out a new chrono yesterday with standard Winchester super x 40 grain, 5.5" barrel Buckmark. They were right at 997. Perfect for a can.

capt.joe

Master
    I bought some Winchester CB long to try in my scoped rossi single shot pistol. It's very quiet but it keyholes

Reactions: sj1

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Academy has the CCI Subsonic in the 40 gr Game point flavor. I have never used the Game points but they get great reviews on the rimfire forums.
    Probably need to get some to try. I like to hunt. Possibly with the extra gas from the can they may cycle in the P17 with optic.
    I have several flavors of .22 to try. Want to do some testing with the segmented cci on game.

jettjon

Expert
    Just about ALL .22 LR ammo I've shot out of a pistol (~4") is subsonic except maybe the stuff specifically marked high velocity.

Some standard velocity stuff is also subsonic out of a 16" AR with conversion kit, e.g.
    Federal Champion Automatch 40 gr 1200 fps
    Federal Premium Gold Metal Target 40 gr 1080 fps (about 50% break sound barrier)
    YMMV

Daezee

Master
    I did not keep perfect records on all .22 ammo tried, mainly listing the best for accuracy, point of impact, and functionality with a few notes on which ammo sucked and is not to be used in a given pistol. Here is some info I had:

When I say ”were subsonic” it means no supersonic crack was heard when suppressed. No chronograph was used, I was shooting for groups, point of impact, and listening for crack. Suppressor was a gen 1 Sparrow.

S&W M&P 3” bbl
    S&W Victory 5” bbl

CCI Stinger goes supersonic in pistols.

Subsonic and standard velocity were subsonic in both pistols.

38 and 40 grain HV all subsonic in M&P.

Centurion 40 grain, Federal bulk, Remington Golden bulk all supersonic in Victory. Strange, but Centurion 38 grain HV was subsonic in the Victory, thus my saying you need to test. I didn’t have any notes on how Winchester X-Pert HV and CCI HV performed...I suspect they work great in other .22’s so I didn’t try them in the Victory as I got good performance in the Victory with other ammo on hand.

Overall as far as performance, the Victory had some pickiness, while the M&P liked everything.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    I did not keep perfect records on all .22 ammo tried, mainly listing the best for accuracy, point of impact, and functionality with a few notes on which ammo sucked and is not to be used in a given pistol. Here is some info I had:

When I say ”were subsonic” it means no supersonic crack was heard when suppressed. No chronograph was used, I was shooting for groups, point of impact, and listening for crack. Suppressor was a gen 1 Sparrow.

S&W M&P 3” bbl
    S&W Victory 5” bbl

CCI Stinger goes supersonic in pistols.

Subsonic and standard velocity were subsonic in both pistols.

38 and 40 grain HV all subsonic in M&P.

Centurion 40 grain, Federal bulk, Remington Golden bulk all supersonic in Victory. Strange, but Centurion 38 grain HV was subsonic in the Victory, thus my saying you need to test. I didn’t have any notes on how Winchester X-Pert HV and CCI HV performed...I suspect they work great in other .22’s so I didn’t try them in the Victory as I got good performance in the Victory with other ammo on hand.

Overall as far as performance, the Victory had some pickiness, while the M&P liked everything.
    Thanks for the info.

RackinRay

Master
    "The sound pressure fluctuations—sound waves—move from place to place through the air at a rate known as the speed of sound, which is 343 meters per second at room temperature (1,125 feet per second). The speed of sound is slightly faster in warm air and slightly slower in cold air."

5lima30ret

Master
    Probably need to get some to try. I like to hunt. Possibly with the extra gas from the can they may cycle in the P17 with optic.
    I have several flavors of .22 to try. Want to do some testing with the segmented cci on game.
    FYI when I lived in the Smoky Mountains we had a big groundhog problem (15-20 lbs average) I tried the CCI segmented and they failed miserably on their thick tough hide they would always be able to crawl back into their hole. Velociters worked pretty good on tough groundhogs, but not good for a can!

ed the archer

Shooter
    i shoot cci subsonic in 4 of my pistols and henry rifle i settled on this using a pistol rest so no human error with my browning medalist 1 with a 5.5 barrel 1 with a 7.25 barrel at 50 ft i group in a dime I have found no other ammo that will do this in my henry rifle i have shot many types of .22 ammo i started zeroing it in at 100 yards well finish this when it cools off

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    i shoot cci subsonic in 4 of my pistols and henry rifle i settled on this using a pistol rest so no human error with my browning medalist 1 with a 5.5 barrel 1 with a 7.25 barrel at 50 ft i group in a dime I have found no other ammo that will do this in my henry rifle i have shot many types of .22 ammo i started zeroing it in at 100 yards well finish this when it cools off
    Which flavor of cci ? 1200, 1050, 750?

Top Bottom