• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve posted a few things on Florida Guntrader and on Craig’s List and every last one of the inquiries I get either include a phone number for me to call or say “Give me your number so I can call you.”
    I reply thru the site and never hear from them again.
    Is this just a scam to get phone numbers to sell?

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’ve posted a few things on Florida Guntrader and on Craig’s List and every last one of the inquiries I get either include a phone number for me to call or say “Give me your number so I can call you.”
    I reply thru the site and never hear from them again.
    Is this just a scam to get phone numbers to sell?
    Not sure because I do just the opposite, have sold hundreds of items on Cragslist, and have never been scammed, robbed, or killed. Every listing ends with:

"Call (my phone number). Leave voice message including your telephone number if no answer. I don't respond to text messages or e-mails."

I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't recognize, so I get a voicemail which let's me know right away if it is an illiterate thug calling. I ask them to leave their number in the voicemail, since some calls (rarely) don't show up in my call log even though I get the voicemail; this also eliminates any other possibility of an incorrect or blocked number or number different from the one they want me to call showing up in the caller ID.

I use common sense before calling any number back (e.g., I always look up the area code if it's one I'm not familiar with). I've had buyers call with numbers from as far away California who just happened to be visiting/working in the area. Again, never had a problem, because it's all done over the phone. (Oh, 75% of the callers are bullshitters, but that's another story... at least I don't have to waste a week texting or PMing to find that out!) A thug could have his girlfriend do messaging, and you'll think "Well, this guy sounds very intelligent!". If he has his girlfriend make a call, you'll be able to tell pretty quickly.

Regardless, every day there's another story about someone who set up to meet based on messaging alone who ends up robbed or killed. Could happen on Craigslist, Facebook, a dating site, you name it. Somehow, people must believe those messages on a screen keep them safe. And conversely and ironically, I've given up on selling because it became apparent that people are now scared shitless by the fact that I put my phone number in the listing, beside the fact that most are just as scared to talk on the phone anyway : )

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Same thing on marketplace, yes they are gathering info on live numbers for some reason. Same reason you get phone calls with no one answering on other end, they just gather good numbers. Then pass off to put together with other info gathered by the next guy. Pretty soon you are playing games on facebook like "whats your This and that. People seem to love those little games for some reason. After awhile they have enough info to attempt a hack. Alos they may sell the numbers to other agencys for cold call sales scams and such. Thats all I can gather, may be wrong or may be right, not totally sure myself. I NEVER call them or send my number.
    Dusty Dog has been lucky so far as far as he knows. It's a bitch to wake up and find your bank empty or your house has been sold out from under you. Lots of folks are very gullible if they think they are going to make easy money. Greed usually wins over common sense.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dusty Dog has been lucky so far as far as he knows. It's a bitch to wake up and find your bank empty or your house has been sold out from under you. Lots of folks are very gullible if they think they are going to make easy money. Greed usually wins over common sense.
    Heh heh... I don't keep any money in the bank. I've never done any online banking. Never used a banking "app". Anything I buy online is done with a pre-paid card, which is only loaded for specific purchases. I don't own any property. Hell, my newest vehicle, which I've had for 46 years, is 49 years old, not counting my late wife's car which is an '02, bought new (the ONLY transaction she ever did on "credit"). I don't answer any calls from numbers I don't know, so I've never gotten a call with "no one answering on other end gathering my good number". I could go on, but, here are two of many who did everything via "messaging":

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/27/alab...-of-daughter-in-gun-sale-gone-wrong-17074543/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...playstation-he-killed-him-instead-police-say/

NO, THANKS.

P.S., since you may not be able to read the last one without a subscription:

"Before his death, Diaz-Delgado had been communicating with someone through Facebook Messenger about purchasing a PlayStation 4, according to the affidavit. Diaz-Delgado was an avid gamer and had his own console, but wanted to get one for one of his younger brothers, who also enjoyed playing video games, NJ.com reported.

That someone was 29-year-old Rufus Thompson, according to police, who on Facebook went by “Ru Hunter” and “Ru Real Right.” Detectives found messages between Diaz-Delgado and Thompson discussing areas in Trenton “in an apparent attempt to set up a meet location,” the affidavit said.

Diaz-Delgado arrived with $240 in hand to buy the gaming system. But police say Thompson, a convicted burglar, had another plan in mind.

Thompson allegedly abducted Diaz-Delgado and took him to an area near Assunpink Creek, where he shot him, police say."

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Same thing on marketplace, yes they are gathering info on live numbers for some reason. Same reason you get phone calls with no one answering on other end, they just gather good numbers. Then pass off to put together with other info gathered by the next guy. Pretty soon you are playing games on facebook like "whats your This and that. People seem to love those little games for some reason. After awhile they have enough info to attempt a hack. Alos they may sell the numbers to other agencys for cold call sales scams and such. Thats all I can gather, may be wrong or may be right, not totally sure myself. I NEVER call them or send my number.
    And YES, it's a "scam a minute" no matter how you operate, so keep your guard up regardless!

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m not worried about getting killed or robbed at a meet.
    I am worried about getting spammed to death on my phone. It’s just a pain to deal with.
    And curiously, I get nothing on my phone but the occasional (once or twice a month) call from a number I don't recognize with no voicemail left. Since I don't answer, nothing happens.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Have y’all ever tried to sell anything on FB Marketplace?
    I’m speechless. I’ve got several reels for sale out there. I’ve had probably 10 inquiries and at least half a dozen people said they wanted 1-3. None of them followed thru.
    One guy said “I can come in the morning. What’s your address.?”
    I named a couple of spots I could meet him. No response.
    I’ve had several interactions like this. It’s ridiculous.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i have met several members at their house, i usually thanked them for trusting me enough to meet at their turf.. but there is no way i would arrange a meeting at home, for anything, unless it had to do with my home or property.... it still makes me a little queasy going to someone's home, you just never know...

i prefer public places..

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    i have met several members at their house, i usually thanked them for trusting me enough to meet at their turf.. but there is no way i would arrange a meeting at home, for anything, unless it had to do with my home or property.... it still makes me a little queasy going to someone's home, you just never know...

i prefer public places..
    I agree. I’ve had several long-time members come to my house but just some guy off the street, no way.
    It’s curious that the guy quit responding when I mentioned meeting somewhere instead of him coming to my house. I actually had 2 like that.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I’m speechless. I’ve got several reels for sale out there. I’ve had probably 10 inquiries and at least half a dozen people said they wanted 1-3. None of them followed thru.
    Never touched Facebook with a ten-foot pole, but that's the same stats as Craigslist (i.e, 75% of supposed "buyers" are bullshitters)... some people just like to hear themselves talk, apparently.

Sold over 300 items on Craigslist, but had items loaded in the car 900 MORE times before the "buyer" quit responding... and I mean time and place was set, some even gave me their community gate codes and itinerary ("I have to pick up my kid at 4:00, so I can meet you there at 4:30), but I would always tell them "I'll call to reconfirm when I'm leaving the house" (since many meets were an 80-mile round trip for me) and, lo and behold, I call to let them know I'm on my way and: no answer, or voicemail is not set up, or goes straight to voicemail and you leave a message but they don't respond. I'll be DAMNED if I'm driving 80+ miles to meet someone who stops answering their phone.

Covid seemed to make everything worse, so I gave up after that.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Thats what I was trying to tell you on earlier post. It usually happens within 10- 30 mins of posting and if you post multiple items, they hit them all, LOL As soon as they ask for my number or give me a number to call, I block them immediately.

Ghost

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thats what I was trying to tell you on earlier post. It usually happens within 10- 30 mins of posting and if you post multiple items, they hit them all, LOL As soon as they ask for my number or give me a number to call, I block them immediately.
    Have you ever had them message you multiple times in less than a minute repeatedly saying "Hello???" "Are you there???" etc?

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Yep, the responses that are immediate are always scams.
    I’ve got a pair of men’s size 11.5 western boots for sale out there. I got a message asking if I would ship.
    I said yes but it will probably add $15 to the price.
    Got a message back “Never mind, I think they would be too big for my sister.”
    WTH?

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Have you ever had them message you multiple times in less than a minute repeatedly saying "Hello???" "Are you there???" etc?
    I think so, but never supposed to say or text "Yes" they will use that to somehow access your accounts.

Ghost

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think so, but never supposed to say or text "Yes" they will use that to somehow access your accounts.
    The 'say yes' scam is designed to get a voice recording of you saying 'yes' so the scammers can use it to authorize charges to your credit card or cellphone bill, to sign up for a program that you'd be charged for or something else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom