Target Sports

What’s the minimum caliber you use for hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Dredge up an old thread. Ive been invited to shoot some hogs at night in July. My NV rig is a 16inch .223. I normally use a hornady red tip 55gr. V or A max I forget. I have a 6.8 10.5 with fusion 90gr also. Or 16inch AR x39 or RARR x39 Just wondering.

Q2arrowhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Shoot ‘em with what ever!! Politically correct. Fuck’them . Just shoot them and if they die later, great. Don’t like my opinion, your are part of the problem. Pigs are destroying property.Kill them as you see fit.

I use .223, 556, 300 blackout.

My go to rig is a 7.5” 300 blackout suppressed,with 208 gr Hornady Black ammo. Have not lost one yet.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    we load 75gr Hornady Match...I've had kills out to 200...not many... but it took a couple rounds
    got a buddy that all he shoots at them is 77gr OTMs

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    My 20" A2 type build with my buddy Adams 55gr OTM from Commonwealth Ammo in Miami. Yopped up a few for a neighbor out on his hunting lease. Barrel is 1 in 12 twist I believe.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'd not be too concerned about shooting smaller hogs with the V-Max but there obviously is a much better bullet for the job.

I respectfully disagree with the esteemed gentleman who suggests just shooting them w/o concern for a quick death... to each their own. Yes, hogs destroy stuff... I think many here are fully aware of the hog control I do on the ranch down here in central FL.

Given the two choices, I'd go with the 6.8 or x39 if you have something other than FMJ for the x39.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Ultimate Goal in my opinion, use enough firepower to get the job done "Humanely". Feral Hogs are a Big Problem, but still should not suffer a Slow, Painful Death just because of what they are. They are good table fare.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    The fuse would most likely detect a Hog as a "Soft Target" and pass on through without detonating.

M-79 would be a better choice.
    :)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd not be too concerned about shooting smaller hogs with the V-Max but there obviously is a much better bullet for the job.

I respectfully disagree with the esteemed gentleman who suggests just shooting them w/o concern for a quick death... to each their own. Yes, hogs destroy stuff... I think many here are fully aware of the hog control I do on the ranch down here in central FL.

Given the two choices, I'd go with the 6.8 or x39 if you have something other than FMJ for the x39.

Let's get to some universal truths! A misplaced shot regardless of caliber/kinetic energy, distance, shooting style, just isn't humane! If you haven't practiced and repeated the shot at the distance & from the shooting style on paper that you are attempting afield, it probably won't end humanely. The size/weight of the pig coupled with the distance to the target determines what the minimum is for a humane kill. (ie. 50 yards & 50 lb pig with proper placement a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 should work, 350 yards & 350 lb pig with proper placement and that same 55 grain FMJ 5.56 may give you a bit of pig tracking experience.)
    About shooting style, lets just say your zeroing your rifle and setting up group size at 200 yards. Bingo, 1/2 MOA all day. Now if your shooting a Hog from the bench your projectile placement should work just fine. But placement may be a bit different if your afield standing/stalking and attempting that 200 yard shot? JMHO.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Let's get to some universal truths! A misplaced shot regardless of caliber/kinetic energy, distance, shooting style, just isn't humane! If you haven't practiced and repeated the shot at the distance & from the shooting style on paper that you are attempting afield, it probably won't end humanely. The size/weight of the pig coupled with the distance to the target determines what the minimum is for a humane kill. (ie. 50 yards & 50 lb pig with proper placement a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 should work, 350 yards & 350 lb pig with proper placement and that same 55 grain FMJ 5.56 may give you a bit of pig tracking experience.)
    About shooting style, lets just say your zeroing your rifle and setting up group size at 200 yards. Bingo, 1/2 MOA all day. Now if your shooting a Hog from the bench your projectile placement should work just fine. But placement may be a bit different if your afield standing/stalking and attempting that 200 yard shot? JMHO.
    Truths... I zero my carbine in 5.56 to the 25-200yd standard. My 20" is the 50-300yd zero. I can dope the rest on the move, either supported on tree or the like or kneeling properly. Everyones mileage will vary, but I'm good with those zeros and caliber.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Truths... I zero my carbine in 5.56 to the 25-200yd standard. My 20" is the 50-300yd zero. I can dope the rest on the move, either supported on tree or the like or kneeling properly. Everyones mileage will vary, but I'm good with those zeros and caliber.
    But at what distance and or weight of critter does the 5.56 drop below min kinetic energy for a humane kill?

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    But at what distance and or weight of critter does the 5.56 drop below min kinetic energy for a humane kill?
    Wouldn't shoot a pig past 200yd with 5.56. 100 to 150 with good 64gr soft points, like fbi duty load.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wouldn't shoot a pig past 200yd with 5.56. 100 to 150 with good 64gr soft points, like fbi duty load.
    I'm not sure at what speed you're sending that 64 pill. But kinetic energy wise it's awful hard to produce a thousand foot pounds of energy beyond 125 yards with average 5.56. What I'm finding is that the FBI Load only produces 1K ft/lbs at the muzzle?

Military effective range is NOT the same as Humane Hunting range. The goals (and ft/lbs of energy) are different. 1k for Humane Game & 600 ft/lbs for self defense.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom