• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwright06

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking to pickup my first AR. Any suggestions on manufacturers? I will be getting a slide fire stock and the accessories down the road. I want to make sure that I get a quality rifle but not trying to drop 1500 on it as I am just getting into the sport. No competition or hunting it will be just something to play with since I need a new hobby. I am a complete newbie to ARs (other than my time in the marines) so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would suggest the S&W M&P 15 sport. Others will chime in about how its not as great because it doesn't have a dust cover and forward assist, nor a chrome lined bbl. However, at $650 it kinda sounds like it may be right up your alley. I got mine at Academy on Davis and couldn't be happier with it.

However, Since then I have seen both at Mikes: A Delton AR-15, and also a Bushmaster Carbon 15 for ~$599-699. The only complaint I have is that I would have liked to see all three rifles next to each other when making my decision. Not a regret so much, but would have liked to see all the options in the price range.

Now, an opinion:
    Stay away from that slidefire bumpfire stock crap. Seems to be just that, crap. /opinion.

Edit:
    Matter of fact, if you want to, we can get up to the range some time and you can take my S&W M&P 15 Sport for a test drive. See how you like it.

Last edited:

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now, an opinion:
    Stay away from that slidefire bumpfire stock crap. Seems to be just that, crap. /opinion.(QUOTE]

I do not own an have never owned or even seen slide fire or bump fire but would love to hear ur bios opinion.Thanks

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't give a bios opinion, we aren't talking about motherboards. I gave my BIASED opinion in a clear way, and did not state it as though it were fact. Hence, labeling it as opinion. Don't get so bent out of shape. I'm sorry, it seems like just another gimmick to me.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the slide fire looks like crap, but it works if you want to dump alot of rounds

would you want it on a gun where accuracy matters? no.

but it is a fun trinket.

kwright06

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for the suggestions and I agree it is a gimmick but I am looking for something that is fun to shoot. I could care less about accuracy if I am just going to empty the magazine as fast as I can. Either way the slide fire would be something for later on down the road if I so choose. Other than the SW MP15 sport any other suggestions. I have heard good things about the SW so that might be the avenue I take.

Thanks Urban for the offer to go to the range. I will certainly take you up on the offer.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Get a good weapon not an entry level without some parts...if that is the way you want to go, cheap, walfart has several in the 597 range but I would not own one. Go to the forums that support the AR platform and get educated to make a wise decision...OR hit up privately a couple of the people here to advise you, Little Jacks Guns a FFL would be a great place to start.

Army_of_One

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Walmart has Colts for $1100. Palmetto State Armory has a rifle/Aimpoint optic combo for $1000. I recently built a 22lr AR for $600 that eats $20 a box of 550 ammo. That might be a better plinker unless you're going beyond 150M regularly.

DrifterFisher

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now, an opinion:
    Stay away from that slidefire bumpfire stock crap. Seems to be just that, crap. /opinion.(QUOTE]

I do not own an have never owned or even seen slide fire or bump fire but would love to hear ur bios opinion.Thanks

Dont waste money on a slide fire stock. Just use your thumb and belt loop. freakin awesome with a 75 rnd drum in my old mini 14 Tracers make it easier to get on target..

kwright06

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is a interesting idea about the 22. I seen these around and was wondering whether go with a 22 or a 5.56 since it is just a sporting rifle. Something to certainly think about. Thank you

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom