• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ABlaster

Marksman
    A little late to the game, but what I said was:

"We MUST pass a law that makes med/psych records of these perps PUBLICLY AVAILABLE upon their death or conviction. People would be SHOCKED."

I was specifically talking about revealing the medications that mentally ill killers were taking, not revealing the records of people who merely seek treatment.
    M118LR bowed out of the forum quite a while back, which is a shame because while frustrating at times he was the source of some entertaining conversation!

But yes, it would be enlightening for the public to be able to see what their psych records were. I'm torn on the medications because that seems like a "chicken or the egg" question. If a particular condition 99% of the time results in X medication(s) being prescribed, is it the condition or the meds that was the final straw for the shooter?

Reactions: FLT

DustyDog

Master
    M118LR bowed out of the forum quite a while back, which is a shame because while frustrating at times he was the source of some entertaining conversation!

But yes, it would be enlightening for the public to be able to see what their psych records were. I'm torn on the medications because that seems like a "chicken or the egg" question. If a particular condition 99% of the time results in X medication(s) being prescribed, is it the condition or the meds that was the final straw for the shooter?
    Look at it this way: Did they go off the deep end before or after taking the meds? I would say almost invariably after.

Little Johnny shows up for 1st grade, but can't sit still because his parents didn't raise him, combined with a natural tendency for healthy young boys to be very active. The teacher "diagnoses" him with ADHD, and recommends that the parents take him to a psychiatrist.

The doctor, knowing that he will get another government-subsidized patient for life, confirms the "diagnosis". If the parents are hesitant, the doctor tells them about the "wonders of disability", namely, the government check the parents can receive every month as a "reward" for drugging their child. The deal is sealed.

So "fidgety" Johnny takes the drugs for a few years, until he "inexplicably" decides to shoot up his school... or kill his parents... or... Now think about how this all started: He was originally drugged for fidgeting, not for committing mass murder.

If you read between the lines, or really dig deep, you will find that nearly every one of these "off the deep end cases" was preceded by "medication". If we mandated transparency in those cases, I already know what we would find. It has been known for decades. From 2008:

From this year:

ABlaster

Marksman
    Oh I get it, but there's still too many questions. Is little Johnny's fidgeting because of the natural tendency of boys to be active or because of something else? Did the "something else" cause the shooting because the meds didn't work or did the meds cause it in an otherwise normal kid?

To me, the mere presence of medications isn't the smoking gun, it's the interaction of the meds with whatever legit mental health problem the person may have had before. There's no way short of a time machine to go back and figure out if the kid would have turned out to be a shooter anyway, or even sooner, without the medication.

For the record, I strongly believe kids, especially boys, are prescribed behavioral meds too often and too soon. Our pediatrician is a solid guy, but he's a boomer and will probably retire soon unfortunately. He said that little girls tend to be more focused and quieter than little boys, and instead of recognizing there are differences between the genders the schools and many doctors treat little boys like they are defective girls and tell the parents something's wrong with their son.

Edit: Dude! You just gave me 2 hours and 40 minutes of videos to watch! That's going to take a while to break that kind of time out!

DustyDog

Master
    Edit: Dude! You just gave me 2 hours and 40 minutes of videos to watch! That's going to take a while to break that kind of time out!
    No rush!

But it'll be worth every minute... you may find answers to some of those questions. Like:

Q: Is little Johnny's fidgeting because of the natural tendency of boys to be active or because of something else?

A: Because he was drugged for an inconsequential reason, we will never know the person he was born to be, and thus never know the answer to the question.

Believe me, if someone who was never drugged previously commits some kind of horrible, nonsensical crime, I would say drugging them after-the-fact (probably) couldn't hurt... maybe it would even qualify as (cruel and unusual?) punishment. But to drug a child because he was sad when his friend moved away, or his dog died???

NOPE.

Top Bottom