• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A friend needs a new compressor in her Jeep Liberty. And frankly I'm surprised she could get even the hood open. So does anybody have a suggestion on where she could take it for repair that won't try to take advantage of her complete lack of mechanical aptitude? (Pensacola area)

Rick

wld1985

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you try and fix it at home, Be warned.. You need to vacumm out the system,Before recharging it..There could be metal or some water from condensation could get in the lines and you'll be screwed later on down the line again..

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you try and fix it at home, Be warned.. You need to vacumm out the system,Before recharging it..There could be metal or some water from condensation could get in the lines and you'll be screwed later on down the line again..

my dodge dealer changes both coils and all filters when replacing a compressor in warranty. they even flow tested and cleaned the refrigerant lines.
    they have been great in supporting my son's 2012 jeep. and he's got the warranty for life deal !!!
    good luck

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rick I sent you a p.m. I was thinking just know that she could call around and get prices on a compressor kit. Comes with "o" rings, compressor and dryer and office tube, also need some pag oil usually sold separately. I have a vacuum pump if you need to borrow to try o do it.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My compressor went on my f350 and I am going shopping at the local junkyard :) but it isn't a new truck either. I have had pretty good luck with used compressors, but mine is easy to swap out also.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    bring it to me. Pepboys on New Warrington Rd.

We can do the evac & recharge. would recommend replacing the compressor, receiver drier, orifice tube in order to maintain a warranty on the compressor. We will also flush the a/c system to help rid of any contaminants.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the replies, yes the compressor is frozen and thusly burned out the clutch. I have no intention of working on her Jeep, just looking for somewhere she could take it that won't try to rip her off. She's had one quote for around $900, I thought that was in reason for a new one, new dryer and all the other doodads to get it going.

She probably needs a few weeks to save up the dough, I'll pass on all the suggestions to her.

Thanks again,
    Rick

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im gonna say it here so you can prepare....
    I'd replace the condensor as well if the compressor locked up. Any metal filings/shavings/crap is sure to be lodged in the condensor as well to only dislodge and process through your new components once you get new components on there.

Nfluencial

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For compressor warranty purposes only the drier and the orifice tube or expansion valve need changing and just a chemical flush of the lines, evap core, and condenser are required. This is adequate for longevity of the ac system. The jeep probably has an expansion valve instead of an orifice tube. They usually have the ac kit at orielly's for around $400 which will have the compressor, the expansion valve, the drier, and the oil with dye in it. It's been a couple years since I priced parts like this but when I was the manager/tech at and auto shop that was the going rate. Just remember if you borrow that vacuum pump and do it yourself, put oil in the low side of the compressor before install and fill it while turning the compressor clutch by hand till oil squirts out the high side. This adds proper oil level to the compressor and prevents it from running without lube. Pour about a half ounce to an ounce in the drier as well. Pull a vacuum to -20 to -30 psi and let it hold with pump off for 10 minutes to verify there are no leaks before charging to the manufactures specific charge weight. Good luck. If you need any advice just pm me. I was MACC certified before I joined the military. Btw don't buy a reman compressor from auto zone or advanced unless you want to repeat the process next year.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went to Prell Auto Air for my wife's 66 Mustang and 2004 Nissan Xterra. Done right the first time on both and reasonable.

I have to have my cold air ......

Top Bottom