Two US Marines from the USS Wasp attacked while on liberty in Turkey. Alleged attempted kidnapping suspected.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
    Two U.S. Marines from the USS Wasp were attacked Monday during a port visit in Izmir, Turkey, according to a Navy spokesperson. Video of the apparent incident shows a group of men forcing a bag over the head of one of the Marines as they restrain him, chanting "Yankee go home."

CBS News senior foreign correspondent Holly Williams said the men appeared to be members of the Turkish Youth Union — a small, nationalist, anti-American organization. The group posted the video online, writing: "U.S. soldiers who have the blood of thousands of Palestinians on their hands cannot defile our country."

Williams, who lived in and covered Turkey for several years said Americans were generally well-treated in the country, said Turkish authorities reported detaining 15 people in connection with the assault.

Turkey is a key American ally in the Middle East and a member of the transatlantic NATO alliance.

The Marines, part of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit, were "on liberty" at the time of the incident and taken to a local hospital for evaluation as a precaution, said U.S. Navy Cmdr. Timothy Gorman, U.S. Sixth Fleet spokesperson. The Marines returned to their ship later Monday.

Recondo 101

Expert
    Turkey has a lot of internal factions that hate each other, and want to kill each other, much less foreigners. Never know whom or what you may run into. Members of my family have served in Turkey in several places, some of those places that do not exist.
    Never a good idea to go wandering around in such a place by yourself or in a small group.

DustyDog

Master
    As I just said elsewhere:

"Imagine if the Turks had been bombing Canada for DECADES, then some Turkish soldiers decided to go out on the town in Minnesota.It's LIKE THAT."

AND

"Hell, they are safer THERE than in most U.S. cities!"

To wit:

AND

I'd take the shoving match in Turkey any day.

BluesBrother

Master
    Will this incident stop you from buying goods made in turkiye? It should. I avoid like the plague anything made in china, mexico, egypt, pakistan, now turkiye is on my list.

DustyDog

Master
    Will this incident stop you from buying goods made in turkiye? It should. I avoid like the plague anything made in china, mexico, egypt, pakistan, now turkiye is on my list.
    U.S. military personnel are killed in the U.S. nearly every day. I'd starve to death if I took that attitude o_O

1. Two Marines are shoved in Turkey.

2. A 90 year-old vet is shot and run over by a carjacker in Houston... in front of his assisted living home.

Which is worse?

BluesBrother

Master
    U.S. military personnel are killed in the U.S. nearly every day. I'd starve to death if I took that attitude o_O

1. Two Marines are shoved in Turkey.

2. A 90 year-old vet is shot and run over by a carjacker in Houston.

Which is worse?
    Gosh, I'll have to check my scale. You do you.

Top Bottom