• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Is it best to trim before or after sizing? I've always trimmed rifle brass after sizing, never really bother trimming anything else, it never really needed it.
    Decided to get all my 45 colt trimmed to the exact same length. After sizing, measures .447" to .449" at the very end, depending on what brand brass.
    Use a forster trimmer, the 45 colt pilot measures .448"

Its not usable after sizing the brass. It destroys the inside of the brass where the pilot spins while trimming. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20231011_102800.jpg
      20231011_102800.jpg
      212.3 KB · Views: 52

boatbum101

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Polish the pilot down with emery cloth . Chuck it up in a cordless drill / screwdriver & polish away . Shouldn't take long to remove a few thousandths . Only time I've ever trimmed straight-walled handgun cases was for a S&W Model 52 38 Special Target Semi-auto . Trimmed all cases to 1.145" so I could get a consistent taper crimp . Taper crimping reduced 50yd groups over roll crimped . Granted these are HBWC target loads running 700 - 750fps .

RobertTaylor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Have you considered a Lee Factory Crimp Die?

I've never trimmed pistol brass.
    I use one, I just have a handful of winchester brass that's actually quite a but longer than it should be. I was considering taking a little off before sizing, then seeing what the difference would be after sizing.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    I've never trimmed pistol brass either. It might sound a little OCD, okay maybe a lot OCD. I load in batches. I check for weakened cases before and after cleaning. If one case shows cracks or splits I dump the entire batch. The batch has all been shot the same amount with the same charge. It won't be long before more cases fail.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Only pistol brass I ever trimmed was .357, just to make sure the crimp was uniform when loading closer to max pressures. Giraud trimmer made quick work of it though.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I use the Lee when I have to do it

$15
    When I size they are still lubed when I trim. You may be able to push it or spring the case enough to get your pilot inside of the case. Your going to bell it so if it changes the mouth a little it shouldn't hurt anything.

You may be able to put something in between the pilot and cutter to keep it off the cutter and turn the crank with a diamond file or something to take the .001 off. Should go pretty quick.

or clamp the pilot stud in the drill turning slow and touch it a couple of times

Last edited:

brasshog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Are you trimming for accuracy ? I would put some jewelers rouge on a rag or patch and chuck in a cordless to start. Then lube it using a patch soaked in lanolin every few cases. Lastly, consider using an M die to expand the case .002" over bore diameter instead of flaring the case to get proper neck tension followed by a repeatable crimp.

Top Bottom