• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In 20+ years here i have yet to come across a rattler, not that I'm inviting it. Have seen plenty of maccasins, copperheads, and pretty much all the harmless ones, though. I'll leave them alone if they leave me alone.
    Rattle moccasins are the ones to watch out for.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I lived in Ozark AL for years and we had 6-8' diamond back rattlesnakes with 12-13 rattles + copperheads & moccasins, I now live in the next county, Coffee, and we have timber rattlers, When we first bought it and was cleaning out over growth, I shot one 5' with 13 rattles. Since then a few smaller ones and 1-4' not too long ago & only 1 encounter with a small copperhead a month ago. Don't like to kill snakes but can't have them around my pets. Copperheads sure are beautiful animals!

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_140910330.jpg
      IMG_20220628_140910330.jpg
      449.2 KB · Views: 76
    • IMG_20220628_140919820.jpg
      IMG_20220628_140919820.jpg
      296.2 KB · Views: 72

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I grew up in the woods east of Gulf Breeze, saw some VERY healthy rattlers but always Eastern Diamondbacks. Somebody told me when I was a kid Timber Rattlers were from further north. I envisioned Kentucky rattlers, I didn't know he meant Jay. It sure has pretty markings on it, and a fat one too.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I lived in Ozark AL for years and we had 6-8' diamond back rattlesnakes with 12-13 rattles + copperheads & moccasins, I now live in the next county, Coffee, and we have timber rattlers, When we first bought it and was cleaning out over growth, I shot one 5' with 13 rattles. Since then a few smaller ones and 1-4' not too long ago & only 1 encounter with a small copperhead a month ago. Don't like to kill snakes but can't have them around my pets. Copperheads sure are beautiful animals!
    there is an orange variation with the same patterns as that one, very striking short fat snake

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Timber Rattlers are usually on the docile side from my experience...stepped over a few in my short life. This one seems a little agitated tho.
    Never meet a Diamondback that wasn't mean as a snake:cool:
    That’s my experience too. Had a 60 year old logger been in woods since he was a teen told me the same thing.

Top Bottom