• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am thinking about getting into reloading. At this time I would only do pistol ammo. I am looking to both save some money and shot more, as well as be prepared if ammo gets harder to find.
    I have narrowed down my pistols to 45 ACP and 9 mm.
    Now the question. I don't have any idea where to start researching, or what type of equipment to start out with. Are there good websites to learn beginning reloading? Is it acceptable to start with a relatively inexpensive starter kit, or should I start with "better" equipment right off the bat? Roughly how much would it cost me to get into this, not counting primers, powder, and bullets ( I have been saving brass)? Also brands of equipment to look at or avoid.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Go to Dillon's web site and look at the best reloaders on the market. I have owned a sample of all of them and Dillon remains the best. I have also owned rcbs, hornady, rdp, lee and others that are off the market now, Dillon is the better equipment. Just my opinion. Good Luck!

playbuoy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have also been considering reloading. I have heard a lot of good things about Dillon. I am going to bite the bullet one day and get the Dillon 650 press. I have watched a many of youtube video's on reloading to learn about the process. I still have not got into the specifications of powder and primers though.

jrs1957

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Depends on how much reloading you plan on doing. You may won't to start out with a single stage press at first. I would recommend the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. It has most everything you will need to start, except for a few items you will need to pick up along as you go. Watch some (you tube) videos on reloading, you will get some ideas on what other items you will need. Ask around others, will help you get started.

Hunkyfish

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Side of the Highway under the bridge near Freeport
    Definitely start with a single stage, :lever: ,, at least until you've learned the basics. You can always use the single stage for rifle reloading after you are comfortable with the process,,,,
    and BUY the Books,,
    I've got Hornady, Lee, Lyman, & Sierra,
    I don't trust Youtube vids as gospel :boom:

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The problem with reloading is you are trying to save some money by doing it cheaply. Buy what you can afford, but be forewarned that you will spend all your time at the loading bench. And it will cost you a ton of money because you will shoot a lot more, and I mean a lot more.So keep this in mind when looking for reloading equipment. The eaiser it is with the progressive presses the more time you spend burning ammo at the range. Been doing this for over 50 years, and I have owned all of the presses over the years.

RJ

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good luck with it... To begin, I'd consider the Lee Turret press. Lee is good quality at a reasonable price. You could likely get the press and the dies for less than $200.00. You'll need a powder scale and like Hunk says, books, you can't have too many. I go to the Powder company's websites, the bullet companies are also great references.
    I saw a reloading scale on "Midsouth's" clearance for 30 bucks. Just read the instructions that come with the dies along with the Speer, Hornady, and other manuals, and mind your "P's And Q's" on safety, and you'll have a blast with the hobby. I started with it 30 years ago and quit to persue other fun things, now I'm right back in it with 7 sets of dies and a shelf full of powders and primers. My next grab is going to be powder... Lots of powder!!!

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are appreciated.
    I have looked at the youtube videos and am starting to get the idea. I will also buy the books, because if i am going to do something I tend to get really into it.
    As for shooting more, that sounds great to me. here lately when my wife and I go to the range, I am burning through around $150 worth of ammo. So if I can shoot a lot more for the same price or less, and pick up a new skill, I am winning across the board.
    Once i figure everything out, i will let everyone know, and I am sure will have more questions.
    Thanks again!

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You'll really see the savings when you're buying your bullets/primers/powder in bulk.

Richard J.

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would also recomend that when you start to reload that you have no interference. No phones, music,tv. keep your head in the game. It is easy to screw up with distractions. Reloading is easy. Been doing it and making my own bullets for over 50 years. You can never get enough books either. Keep up to date with all information. Good luck to you. Just remember it is fun and look at all the extra ammo you get to burn.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm right behind Richard J. No distractions. Forty years of reloading and every screw up I ever made reloading was because of distraction. Thankfully no bullets stuck in barrel or KA-BOOM but it can happen. Most of my screw ups were crushed primers or screwing up a case.

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Guys,
    I want to do this right and will take your advice.
    I think I will start after hunting season so there will be less distractions and I can really get into it. I think I also want to reload 25-06 too, so I can really find the perfect hunting load.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a friend locally that teaches reloading and will rent his room out with all the equipment you'll ever need. He has all the different presses so you can see what works best for you, also sells supplies. PM me if you're interested in talking to him.

IMHO if you're just starting out I'd look at the RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit. The stuff will last for generations and will hold most of it's value if you ever decide to cash out.

Rick

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of my screw ups were crushed primers or screwing up a case.

I have a box of 20 that I crushed every primmer on when I first started out. And you know what kind of aggravation it is to unload even one bullet.

As said - a quiet room with no distractions is a must. I am very picky on my powder measure (I will start over if the scale does more than bounce over the measure I am looking for, and I check my scale zero to 100 grains about every 5 loads)

jpwalnuthill

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    just got started this week myself. 9mm and .223. and 6.8 shortly. IMO based on my short experience, you will spend about twice the amount of money you think you will. Especially on reloading rifle cartridges. Interesting hobby though. Not trying to discourage you, but read everything you can find on it. Good Luck

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    buy the lee system their reloading manual is the best in my opinion, it made it easy for me when I started reloading. You can advance from there

Giortire

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks all,
    I have my equipment, and will be starting to reload next week.
    I will post results and range reports.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Stock up on your consumables while they are still "cheap". If anyone needs powder I possibly have what you will need. Especially rifle powders. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom