• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Me and an old coworker were talking yesterday and I had all but forgotten about this story until then.

About 4 years ago when I still did armed security, I was over in Ft Walton doing some spot checks on our guys and vehicle maintenance. I was in full uniform with my weapon in plain sight. I stopped in some hole in the wall restaurant to get me something to go. Right after I placed my order, I was approached by a manager and told I need to leave. I was slightly baffled and asked him why? I was told that they do not allow firearms in the restaurant. There was 3 Sheriff's Deputies sitting waiting on their food near by, before I could reply to this manager one of the deputies had walked over and ask what the problem was, the manager told him they didn't allow guns. No sooner did he say that then they Deputy turned to the other two deputies and said very loudly "Hey guys, we gotta go, they don't allow guns in here" and they proceeded to walk out with me, the manger in tow begging them to stay. They refused, and invited me to go eat with them down the road.

That was the first time and only time I had encountered someone who acted like that toward me because I carried a weapon and was not a police officer.

I don't know really what the point of this story was, I just felt like sharing it

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think most people think the same way about armed security guards, most are just a bit more polite about it. I know as the GM of a major security guard company I did all I could not to arm or sell armed guards.

The Regional GM of Toys R Us called one day and asked for armed guards for the Christmas season, I said sure I will give you a quote as soon as you give me a list of kids it is OK to shoot when my guard has a running gun battle with your robbers...that ended the conversation. I think it was me and another GM for a competitor that removed most of the armed guards out of the banks in San Antonio. We had lost 3 guards and 5 other people in 3 robberies where the bad guy came in a popped the guard first and kept shooting. After that we had no more shootings in the bank robberies.

SO maybe the restaurant manager had a bad experience in the past and just did not approach it correctly. There is no need to be rude to people.

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have believe for a long time for the reason there shouldn't ever be armed guards in banks, we did mostly ghetto apartments, 90% places I was armed it was for my safety, not because someone wanted the armed presence. I was proud to know our company would not allow just anyone to carry, you had to have a good mentality and be a damn good shot, just meeting the states requirements want good enough

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worked over 20yrs as both armed security & Armed courier, & armed truck driver. Held position from regular guard to trainer to Head Field Supervisor.

In all the years I worked there were only 2 places that asked me to lock up my firearms before I came on site.

One was Colt Firearms , The other was Quinnipiac College.

After 911 things changed and I was encouraged to be seen in both areas armed.

I agree with some that some guards shouldn't be armed, But I've also worked as a training officer for the Connecticut State Police, Dunbar Armored , & Pinkerton Security Armored Division .

I've seen more police officers with 6-10 yrs on the force that had to re take a marksmen class then I saw security or armored car drivers having to re qualify .

Because of liability & Insurance limitation most security officers & armed couriers have more training and do more classroom training .

First thing they are taught is to be professional at all times, Second thing is never pull your firearm unless you fully intend to use it.

Most security officers that you see that are armed and not looking or acting professional are that way because their supervisors have become lax and are not doing proper inspections.

It's like any other job , There are good officers & then there are lax ones.
    But if the security companies have supervisors that do their jobs professionally it will show in it's officers .

There are certain areas armed security officer shouldn't be seen in. All armed officers I worked with were advised as soon as you clock out your firearm should be removed and concealed and uniforms should be removed as soon as possible if not on duty.

After 911 we had more calls for armed officers then ever. We had stores, office building , condominium complexes and even Jewish Synagogues, & churches and private schools.

My armed patrol division grew from 5 officers to 15 officers. Each officer had to already have a concealed firearms permit, then they had to take an 8 hour security blue card test given by a state firearms inspector . Then they went thru a 10 hr classroom training and another 30 hrs on the range before they were allowed to be armed on patrol.

Then every 3 months they were required to go to the range and fire 200 rounds and then do a re qualification.

In all honesty it took about 6 months and 30 officers before I found officers that worked and acted professionally.

To this day 9 of those first 15 officers are now Field supervisors running armed patrol units that employ over 50 trained armed guards.

There are top notch security officers out there that are professional and take pride in their jobs. And they should be allowed to be armed and trained to insure not only their safety but the safety of those around them.

If trained properly and supervised they can be a valuable asset to any company.

Last edited:

Flguy32514

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are top notch security officers out there that are professional and take pride in their jobs. And they should be allowed to be armed and trained to insure not only their safety but the safety of those around them.

If trained properly and supervised they can be a valuable asset to any company.

That's the biggest lacking I've seen in security, I got more than required by the state, that's all I can say due to ongoing circumstances.

But I've had to draw my weapon a few times, two times really stick out to me, the first became a true shoot don't shoot situation, I chose to take cover, while I had a firearm being point at me, the suspect was fleeing and the shot was to risky due to distance and a occupied dwelling behind. The 2nd I knew I was about to shoot the suspect who was advancing on me, he dropped his weapon literally from the time I broke leather to the time I got on target

bac3996

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's the biggest lacking I've seen in security, I got more than required by the state, that's all I can say due to ongoing circumstances.

But I've had to draw my weapon a few times, two times really stick out to me, the first became a true shoot don't shoot situation, I chose to take cover, while I had a firearm being point at me, the suspect was fleeing and the shot was to risky due to distance and a occupied dwelling behind. The 2nd I knew I was about to shoot the suspect who was advancing on me, he dropped his weapon literally from the time I broke leather to the time I got on target

Exactly , If properly trained you will react, But you must be alert of your surrounding and exactly what is happening .

Sounds like you had the right training , Glad to hear you made proper judgement calls both times.

Top Bottom