• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Anyone have experience with reloading these? Was looking at their prices and it peaked my interest. I prefer jacketed rounds generally, but availability has been a bitch of late and $80 for 1200 projectiles of 125gr Truncated cone 9mm

levi3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No problem with them, very popular in the competition scene. My latest orders have been slow to ship. Before all this BS I could order on Monday and receive them by Thursday. Now it takes a couple of weeks to ship.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    About to drop an order for some 125 and 135 truncated cone bullets. Anyone got recipes that seem to work well for a full-sized 9mm (Beretta M9)? I have currently Power Pistol, CFE Pistol, Bullseye, and Universal. Federal, Winchester, and CCI primers.

Baldwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to use Blue Bullets 115 gr RN. Loaded with 4.3 to 4.8 gr of W231 and OAL of 1.100. Ran them through a 1911, a CZ, a Glock, and a Sig P226. I had no problems with them. Just wanted to try a coated truncated cone bullet from Bayou Bullets.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I used to use Blue Bullets 115 gr RN. Loaded with 4.3 to 4.8 gr of W231 and OAL of 1.100. Ran them through a 1911, a CZ, a Glock, and a Sig P226. I had no problems with them. Just wanted to try a coated truncated cone bullet from Bayou Bullets.
    How are those? I've been trying to find an affordable plinking round that still holds accuracy. So far, my best load for accuracy has been 124gr +p Speer gold dots, but I can't afford to plunk with those

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Baldwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They performed well for me and I liked the price. A lot of the competition shooters load Blue Bullets. I will probably switch back in the near future. I've learned that loading a round nose bullets is easier than the truncated cone bullets I've been using lately.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I assume that one uses the same seating die stem for truncated cone as they'd use for hollow points or typical flat nosed projectiles, right? What makes loading the truncated cone more difficult than round nose?

Baldwin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I assume that one uses the same seating die stem for truncated cone as they'd use for hollow points or typical flat nosed projectiles, right? What makes loading the truncated cone more difficult than round nose?

Good question! Early on the main issues were scraping the coating when seating the bullet and causing a bulge that wouldn't allow the round to chamber. It's essential that the bullet is placed straight in the case mouth before seating which is easier said than done. I'm loading with a Dillon 550C and I started using the flat nose seating stem. Flaring of the case mouth is very critical. Too much flare and it difficult to set the bullet straight up. Too little and scraping the coating becomes a problem. When I say critical I mean just a couple of thousands flare either way makes a difference. I swapped the Dillon powder bushing with one from Uniquetek which helped a bunch. I also swapped the Dillon crimp die with a Lee FCD and I think it helped. The next issue was inconsistent OAL. Sounds crazy but I started using the round nose seating stem and that was better. These are great bullets and they are widely used. It's very possible that most of the trouble I had was just me. I had loaded nothing but round nose bullets before I started with these.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thanks for the info Baldwin. I almost never load round nose. I don't have a Dillon, just a pair of single stage presses. One old bonanza for flares and my rock chucker for seating and crimping. Been thinking of getting the Lee factory crimp die as I hate crimping and seating simultaneously with my RCBS carbide set.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom