The Role of Pistol Sights in Self-Defense: Are They Necessary?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    I think there are plenty of videos out there that clearly illustrate pointing and clicking w/o at least some sight reference results in misses at shockingly close distances... with LEO's being the main contributors.

Even a scene in Pulp Fiction demonstrates the pitfalls of point shooting...

Yep and most people don’t understand that point shooting doesn’t mean no point of reference on the gun. If you have no reference point on the gun you’re just spraying and praying so you should expect the results of that endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccc

Master
    Yep and most people don’t understand that point shooting doesn’t mean no point of reference on the gun. If you have no reference point on the gun you’re just spraying and praying so you should expect the results of that endeavor.

But again EDC shootings usually involve a guy jumping out from behind a car stabbing at you with a knife, or attacking you on isle 3 where the pasta is, it’s not marching towards you 100 yards away where you can take the time to aim and put one between his eyes. It’s quick, take the shot shooting, where you most likely never see sights, but at least you can concentrate on the front sight.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    But again EDC shootings usually involve a guy jumping out from behind a car stabbing at you with a knife, or attacking you on isle 3 where the pasta is, it’s not marching towards you 100 yards away where you can take the time to aim and put one between his eyes. It’s quick, take the shot shooting, where you most likely never see sights, but at least you can concentrate on the front sight.

Agreed and guess what that’s point shooting because you don’t have a “sight picture”. Technically it’s an alternate index but still a part of point shooting. A lot of people including some of the instructors posted in the videos above teach it but refuse to call it what it is because they don’t “point shoot”. Anything without a full sight picture is a part of point shooting.

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    That is the whole point [pun] you put the front sight on low center mass like it is a red laser at very close range , it took [for me] very little time to practice/learn and i am and old pistol shooting fudd used to a correct picture sight . This works best imho with very short snubskis and using a quick draw CC holster .

DustyDog

Master
    As long as we realize that the fact that something is not the "average" or "usual" or most likely or 80% of the time or 2 shots/7 feet scenario doesn't mean that it never happens. Imagine thinking "I'm only going to the mall, so the snubby it is!" and then... :)

Last edited:

.22 cents

Master
    Your opinions mean nothing to the OP. They just want their name bumped for recognition. .........Until next time friends!

Bowhntr6pt

Master

My limited exposure to the topic suggested just that… no use of sights period… just a natural pointing of the pistol.

I don’t consider the cognitive use of a front sight, no matter how minimal, to be point shooting in the context of what has been presented to me over the years.

There are in fact people teaching such foolishness.

DustyDog

Master
    Your opinions mean nothing to the OP. They just want their name bumped for recognition. .........Until next time friends!
    P.S., and who cares, since most of us are just looking for another golden opportunity for a pissing contest (no pun intended) anyway? :D

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    The US Army 101 Airborne Rangers used to teach point shooting back in the 50's. My father was one. Also was taught how to cock the 1911 one handed as well as hold it sideways when firing and let the recoil move the gun. At 65 he could still blast stuff and make it look easy. So there maybe something to point shooting.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    My limited exposure to the topic suggested just that… no use of sights period… just a natural pointing of the pistol.

I don’t consider the cognitive use of a front sight, no matter how minimal, to be point shooting in the context of what has been presented to me over the years.

There are in fact people teaching such foolishness.

I don’t completely disagree with you. I can see both sides of that conversation and have stood on both sides of it.

DustyDog

Master
    80% of confrontations are at 9-15 feet, if you can’t hit your threat at those distances with point and shoot with the front sight you have serious issues. We are not target shooting at those distances, we are under stress, nervous, scared, we are simply trying to hit center mass as many times as needed to stop the threat. And I can assure you, most Jury’s will focus on why you were shooting at someone 50-75 yards away instead of leaving the threat area and then you end up being some big bucks boyfriend for 20 to life. In all likely hood the distance you will need to engage bad guy, will easily be front sight capable.
    But maybe not... and since I'm not psychic:

https://athlonoutdoors.com/article/long-distance-defense/

Top Bottom