• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garbo

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My oldest son, Clay and I spent two days in trees in the woods Friday and Saturday on some property we lease in Pittsview Al. We both seen deer but nothing that either of us chose to pull the trigger.

After spending all day Friday and all morning Saturday in the woods, Saturday right before lunch, I picked Clay up at the edge of a rolling hay field that boarders a hardward swamp that he was hunting. He unpacked and got into the truck and said that he was starting to get burned out and was about to start shooting. I told him I understood and we started our way around the edge of the hay field along the tree line to get back to the road. As we made a corner of the field our line of sight became able to see a shallow spot in the center of the field and Clay spotted something sitting in the field. I picked up a pair of binos and centered on the area that Clay had spotted something in the field. It was a Bald Eagle. The Eagle was setting on something it had caught and still had it's wings spread to cover and protect it's catch. We watched in amazement and tried to get pictures with each of our cell phones. After a good while of watching the Eagle eat, we went on our way around the edge of the hay field toward the gate to go to lunch ourselves......and the Eagle flew off it's caught prey and began circling above. We drove down to see what the Eagle had caught and it was a very small whitetail deer. The small deer was larger than a newborn but not the size most whitetail deer that were born this year should be by now. The deer was still warm and freshly killed and as I tried to come up with a theory of what could have killed the young deer other than the Eagle nothing could add up other than the Eagle killed the young deer.

What a Great Experience.

Last edited:

Ben Ghazi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    great story thanks for sharing. am sure an eagle can kill a small deer , watch these eagles hunt and kill wolves .

skip the 1st = 45 sec
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsUPdle24A

I try to hunt funnel areas this time of year and use google earth some to locate where major travel routes bottle down.

DevilDog

Semper Fi
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nature at it's finest! This is why I love to hunt, how often do you get to see something like that? I enjoy sitting in the woods just watching and listening to nature unfold around me.

Top Bottom