• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Thanks @Ktchnking, just ordered some of the yard long beans to plant along my chain link fence where the peas failed also got some longevity spinach off Etsy, thanks too for the tip on ordering from Etsy! I've never really known what Etsy was but now have an account LOL!

So are any edible peas like sugar snap peas that grow well around here? Do they need more than filtered sunlight? I planted several of them, they all sprouted and then died off except for one. They were planted in new potting soil.

Rational Mind

Expert
    Thanks for starting this thread. What a World it would be if everyone realized they can grow food in their yard. Growing here definitely has a learning curve. I've found watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, squash, zucchini, and so many others grow extremely well here . Sun loving plants thrive. I've created long tunnels with16' hog panels for the watermelons, cantaloupe, pole beans, etc. The panels allow full sun in spring and as the plants start to cover the trellises they provide shade for the plants that can't handle the direct sun all day , eggplant and more delicate plants. The trellises have been the key to me having a successful garden here. I look forward to following this thread .

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Thanks @Ktchnking, just ordered some of the yard long beans to plant along my chain link fence where the peas failed also got some longevity spinach off Etsy, thanks too for the tip on ordering from Etsy! I've never really known what Etsy was but now have an account LOL!

So are any edible peas like sugar snap peas that grow well around here? Do they need more than filtered sunlight? I planted several of them, they all sprouted and then died off except for one. They were planted in new potting soil.
    Peas do good if you plant them around September and March. If you prop up a clear tarp to make a mini greenhouse you can start in February and get more peas.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    The panels allow full sun in spring and as the plants start to cover the trellises they provide shade for the plants that can't handle the direct sun all day , eggplant and more delicate plants. The trellises have been the key to me having a successful garden here. I look forward to following this thread .

Trelis is important!

I plant eggplant on a trelis behind okra and I plant dill and kale under the okra.

Managing sunlight is an important step here.

Full sun doesn't mean full sun in Florida.

WRM

Master
    Full sun doesn't mean full sun in Florida.

Exactly!

And if you don't' have ability to trellis, I've gotten a lot of stuff to live thru the settling in stage by using the black sun block fabric used by commercial growers.

WRM

Master
    f you prop up a clear tarp to make a mini greenhouse

There's also a company that makes fittings for PVC pipe to allow structures to be built. We put an inverted V shaped structure over our outdoor cactus collections in the winter to support frost blankets in weather too cold for them.

Halls in Milton carries the fittings.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Yeah--maybe you wouldn't have to post a guard 24/7 on yours when the S finally really HTF.
    I grew up living off of a garden. I joined the army fresh out of high-school and didn't garden for 5 years. After I got out I was out of the habit and didn't garden for several more years.

Having a family today mandates a garden. I wish I could grow powder and primers too.

A bug out bag and a few days of MREs is trendy, and great for a few days. Past that you need a renewable source of food larger than your family's need for it.

Not that long ago growing food is what held communities together. You can keep everybody alive by yourself but you can really feed someone when it's all of the neighbors on the block.

Rational Mind

Expert
    I grew up living off of a garden. I joined the army fresh out of high-school and didn't garden for 5 years. After I got out I was out of the habit and didn't garden for several more years.

Having a family today mandates a garden. I wish I could grow powder and primers too.

A bug out bag and a few days of MREs is trendy, and great for a few days. Past that you need a renewable source of food larger than your family's need for it.

Not that long ago growing food is what held communities together. You can keep everybody alive by yourself but you can really feed someone when it's all of the neighbors on the block.
    Have you tried growing spaghetti squash here ? I picked up some heirloom seeds and I'm going to give it a shot. It's a new one for me but the fact it can replace pasta and a would be a lot healthier is enough reason to try and see.

Viking1204

Master
    Can spaghetti squash really replace traditional spaghetti?

My biggest thing with gardening is I need to learn how to store things for longer periods of time.

WRM

Master

My biggest thing with gardening is I need to learn how to store things for longer periods of time.

My wife and I like it, but we still eat GF pasta too. We just use the squash when we feel like it.

Gotta up our canning games. Food dehydrators also can work with many things.

Or somebody needs to invest in a freeze drying chamber.

Rational Mind

Expert

From what I've seen if you cut it into rings and bake it doesn't become watery and the strands will pull out just like traditional spaghetti noodles. From the recipes I've seen it can be used anywhere a traditional pasta would be used.

WRM

Master
    if you cut it into rings and bake it doesn't become watery and the strands will pull out just like traditional spaghetti noodles

We split ours lengthwise, season it, put it face down in a baking tray with sides, add an inch or so of water (bain marie), and bake in the oven.

Once cooked, use a fork to scrape the "spaghetti" into a sieve over the sink. That'll drain most any water that's hanging about.

In a pinch, I think I've also pressure cooked them.

@Ktchnking

Expert
    Have you tried growing spaghetti squash here ? I picked up some heirloom seeds and I'm going to give it a shot. It's a new one for me but the fact it can replace pasta and a would be a lot healthier is enough reason to try and see.
    I haven't. I do grow butternut squash and pumpkin and plant in August.

Spaghetti squash is pretty good for wet pasta dishes. Check out the zoodle. It will turn zucchini into "noodles."

maxfold

Master
    This is katuk.

I grow this for the edible leaves. Like the longevity spinach, they are good raw or cooked.

Propagation is very easy for this plant.

Take a cutting, trim off the bottom leaves, and stick it in the ground. 80% of the time it takes off.

They don't want a lot of water and thrive in our sandy soil. The trees will get to 20 feet tall. A good way to manage this is to crop the top of the tree at around 6 feet. They will grow out instead of up.

At the end of the season, usually around Christmas, I cut the plant off about 2 feet tall and cover it with Mulch. In spring uncover the tree and it takes off again.
    Following thanks .

.22 cents

Master
    1653332459878.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom