• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Was heading over to BPS in Spanish Fort yesterday and decided to swing(swang)into the Styx River Range. Guys were shooting skeet,rifle,and pistol. I met one guy that is a member of this forum. Now I know that some of you have been going there for some time now but this was my first experience so thought that I would give you my "take" on what I saw/what was there.

They offer quite a variety of stuff for sale. Reloading supplies including the consumables,books and tools. Ammo of quite a few different chamberings,and hand gun holsters,including the BlackHawk line,ammo(pretty good supply too). Shotgun ammo and reloading stuff for the reloaders also including shot.

Used and new guns and scopes. Some higher quality stuff. More of the long range guns that I expected also. I don't mean any disrespect to the place when I say I was pretty impressed.

So.......I would suggest that this should be one of the places that you call or stop buy when you are in the market for the above. I'm sure their firearms inventory changes constantly. It would be worth a call to see what they had. But remember....this is in Alabama,some rules and regs do apply if your residence is Fla. --- SAWMAN

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Styx is a great place to deal with, very nice people. The inventory is pretty bare right now, but they even keep some Nighthawk 1911's in stock that are always tempting me...

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I live very close to this range and have nothing but good things to say about it. I have never had a bad experience there and the prices are reasonable. They are not going to win any prizes for giving things away by no means, but very comparable to anyone else of that size and nature. The staff is friendly and pretty knowledgable about most things that they carry. I don't know if they still do it, but they used to special order things for you as well.

b747fp

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've driven past there a couple times lately, and I was actually surprised on how busy they were on the range. I for one am holding onto all my ammo right now, so no shooting in my near future.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just bought my Glock 26 from there on Tuesday. I have always had good experiences buying from them, as for the range I don't shoot there I have a good friend that owns a clay pit and that is where I shoot.

911parrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a great place just way to busy for the past few years. Back in the 90's you could actually go early on the weekends and have the range to yourself and maybe two or three others until about 10:30 or so. Now it's busy from the time they open until just about an hour before they close.

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, but that is a good thing for the health of the sport. We all know how it goes when we don't use something...we lose it.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive been there a couple times and always felt like I was in a sardine can, way too cramped IMO.. I like santa rosa shooting center on quintette rd. much better

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do agree they had a nice selection of pre owned guns, at least when I was there a few months back before shtf

Longbow14

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    very nice people, every time i go in i see different guns in and on the case staff is more than happy to sate my desire to shoot things and drool over thier guns. I try to go on week days since it does get comically cramped especially on the weekends.

T

tinman

very nice people, every time i go in i see different guns in and on the case staff is more than happy to sate my desire to shoot things and drool over thier guns. I try to go on week days since it does get comically cramped especially on the weekends.

Avoid weekend mornings and lunchtime. It slows down after 2pm on a Saturday. We went yesterday and I have to admit - might go again on a Friday during the day as it's a lot quieter (but still quite busy). Great people at Styx.

doc92

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you're a FL resident and buy a firearm, they happily transfer to Buck and Bass on Pine Forest.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Have shot skeet there many a time with my Dad, great people to work with. I try to avoid Friday and Saturday at all cost though, mid-morning during the week seems great when I can make it there. Seconds on the transfer to buck n bass.^^

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All the guys at Styx are great. Richard, the RSO is a great pistol coach as well. Always has time for a quick pointer. Definitely improved my proficiency with a handgun in about 30 minutes. FYI, if you ask for help he will shake his head and walk off. You will get some good advice once he watches you shoot for a bit.

rholster3

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I went there last week to zero my AR and shoot my sidearms. Picked up a few cool goodies while I was there. Not a bad place, and not a bad drive.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a fan. They've special ordered things for me, sold me reloading supplies at reasonable prices, and I've shot the shotgun, rifle, and pistol ranges. Nice folks.

Top Bottom