• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone here have trouble with the veterans administration changing their meds? My dad is a Vietnam vet with severe mental issues and the v.a will put him on some meds they will work great and he gets a new shrink and they change the meds, it never fails. I don't hear about it until his is in the mental ward. My mom apparently can't handle the situation because this has been on going since I was a child. I feel bad for him they treat him like a tester to test meds on. anyone had issues like this? If you have please share your experience. The thing that gets me is their is a combo of meds that work but they are "expensive" damn man got wounded in battle seen his school mates blown to bits and they need to put him on a cheaper drug. Thanks for reading any info will help

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I dealt with the same shit. Up at fort drum, ny. I would get a provider and then blam 3 months later he/she would leave and I would have to start over again. See if he can't get a video tele-conference with a steady one? That's what finally worked for me. The doctor I see is from Walter reed.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dealt with the same shit. Up at fort drum, ny. I would get a provider and then blam 3 months later he/she would leave and I would have to start over again. See if he can't get a video tele-conference with a steady one? That's what finally worked for me. The doctor I see is from Walter reed.

Man that's a great thought, never knew the va offered that

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I go to my normal place and all and check in like a regular appointment but then I go to a room that has a camera and TV set up so we can see/talk to each other. And that's it!

Crazydoc68

Almost a doctor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I can only imagine. Who the hell in their right mind would pass a bill they knew nothing about and had to pass it to just find out what was in it. Complete and utter bullshit.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yes our Wounder Warrior at the lease has the same problems with his Meds for brain trauma. They mess w my blood pressure meds but I stay on top of it and demand changes...hesitant to try other drugs.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frank I don,t understand, what you said on your post. You stay on top of it and demand changes...hesitant to try change. Is the va hesitant to change your drugs because you want change. Did you want to change the dosage? I have had pretty good luck at the va. They change your doctors alot but they take enough blood to catch alot of things that might be wrong with you and take alot more time with you than cil. doctors ever do. Now all your records on the computer and they can see what you have had done. When I started going all records were paper and that was a real pain carry your records around. If my appointment was ever late I figured they were takeing some extra time with someone and never comlained because they have taken plenty of time with me. I have been pretty lucky about my meds to Not alot of changes. Some dosages with one untill they got enough. They like to start light on me because of my past reactions to meds. Now my wife and grandson have alot of trouble with Dr changing there meds.They get something that works and the Dr changes it. Don,t know what there idea is...Just my idea but I think Va hospitals are like hospitals everwhere Some good and some bad. Same with Dr. I have been really lucky and had good Dr. so far

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    yeah all that, then meds w side effects, over dosing, you really have to keep an eye on them, some good, some bad most of it is just an under paid Dr job, 8-5, they go home and could care less about you.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am with Frank on this, my dad had a doctor on Cervantes back in the 80-90's through the va, don't know how that worked but he had him for a long time and was excellent but he retired and its been a yo-yo. My dad isn't competent to care for himself and has depended on my mom and lately that has been a bad thing because she forgets a lot so it leaves me having to deal with them. We used to go to Biloxi to the big place there and that sucked out loud. I would like to apologize to our vets for the sub standard care they receive.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like I said I have been really LUCKY with my Dr at the Va. Untill I came to Ga my Va was always with teaching hospital and I allways thought the Teachers were the best of the best. I ALWAYS look my meds up on line to see the side effects and read the insert. I will agree that they are underpaid and sometimes not appredated. Beleave me I know some treatment is not what you would expect but I have been lucky. The last time I was in the hospital my wife demanded a diffrent dr and got it for me so you do have to look out for your own health just like in the outside care. I will say that if it wren"t for there care I would be dead. Like they say your milage may vary.

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad is getting out tomorrow :). I sure am afraid of Obama Care know the veterans administration's horrors

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry your Dad and the Family are going through this. There are a couple of issues that may be causing this. Some of the a same issues also impact users of TriCare.

1. It is difficult for the VA to retain doctors full or part time base on the compensation they are limited in paying. Not that VA doc's are bad but its doc that accepts the low compensation deal that gets the job. Young, inexperienced, doc's from foreign countries and some that are in transition from other jobs/hosp/clinic ect... High turnover rate.

2. Rx cost money. VA will often take the Dr's Specific Rx and Substitute a generic or something close. If your on Tricare they just refuse to pay for it even if the generic does not work or if you are allergic to the generic version. TriCare requires specific Dr's letter WITH references just to consider the none generic Rx. Then they still refused. Been out of pocket on it for years.

3. Rx Companies send Reps Everywhere and they provide free samples to the doc's. Doc's in turn give them to patients. Results may be good or bad but will continue until the current supply (Sample or Stock) runs out. Then they will switch you to the next cheapest of free thing they can get.

HOW YOU FIX IT:

Write the head of his VA Hosp. Provide all the specific (especially the meds and their results) information. Tell them (do not ask) what health care result you want back on good meds, better/more frequent therapy, whatever helps him be in a better state/health) tell them to reply in writing with a Patient Plan of Treatment within 30 days and have that Plan implemented within 30 days. Failure to comply will necessitate taking this issue to the The Honorable E. Shinseki (Gen, USA Ret),Secretary of Veteran Affairs; Dr. Robert Petze, Under Secretary of Veterans Affairs for Health, and list your Congressman and Senators. Do not hold anything back in your complaint. Include the impact on your Dad AND you/family due to their fluctuating and often inadequate care.

You must set their ass on fire to get them off it. The person who sends this letter MUST be the person legally in control of your Dads affairs.

Warm regards,
    WR

BigDaddy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks you for your info w.r. It is comforting to know my dad isn't the only soldier taking friendly fire. It's a damn shame though.

Top Bottom