• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    I learned a couple tricks to winter survival during SERE training in the Cascade Mountains in February. One is to cover your feet in underarm deodorant before putting your socks on and a folded up piece of aluminum foil inside your Ranger type cap. Sounds crazy but it does work!
    Does the aluminum foil interfere with galactic incoming transmissions? ;)

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Speaking of cold, I went to drain my solar hot water roof collector. Valves to do so are in a small room off the garage. No big deal to drain, it only wastes about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Although it has 2 safeguards built-in for cold weather, it's safest to drain collector if temp will be below around 28. However, I saw the drip pan around the hot water storage tank was full. It appears to be coming from the pipe at the top where there's a valve to control the mix of cold water to hot water so it's not too cold or hot. Luckily I had reason to go into that room and saw it before any flooding.

Shut off water to house to stop the leakage. Emptied the drip pan. Left msg with solar company to call Monday.

Luckily I'd worked on "what if the water supply goes off" last summer and had 5 clean jugs for potable water ready to fill (empty) (if a hurricane is coming) and 8 jugs non potable already full for toilet flushing. This morning turned back on water, filled all potable water jugs, fresh water for the goats, coffee for the wife, more full than normal water pan for cats and dogs, hand washed dishes, turn water back off, and emptied the drip pan. So my emergency plan worked pretty well, but it's now altered to include having a couple of jugs of potable water already filled and simply rotate them out every few months and let animals drink the water. Also added a 9th jug for flushing. If no water supply at all, I have access to a neighbor's well (and how to turn it on using my generator...already tested the setup) for which I had the water lab tested for bacteria and nitrites (with his permission)...no bacteria and nitrites (from fertilizer run off) way under the EPA limit, something like 1/5th the limit.

Potable water containers = washed with hot soapy water, rinsed, treated with bleach, rinsed, dried, put aside. Non potable containers = rinsed and filled from the faucet or well. I'm using Tidy Cat litter jugs. They're made from same type plastic as used for potable water. I also contacted Tidy Cats who said fine for potable use after cleaning/sanitizing them, but there could be a lingering scent from the odor eliminator in the cat litter. No scent after my sanitizing routine. I wouldn't hesitate to use the flushing water for the animals if needed.

Got plenty of empty litter jugs; been giving them away to help others be prepared.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    According to the weatherman I just one more night of supercold temps. The coldest I have seen so was 19 F for an hour or so in Pace, FL in the woodbines hills subdivision.
    One also wants a separate heat source that does not require power from FLP. Also a generator.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    According to the weatherman I just one more night of supercold temps. The coldest I have seen so was 19 F for an hour or so in Pace, FL in the woodbines hills subdivision.
    One also wants a separate heat source that does not require power from FLP. Also a generator.
    You mean weather guessers don't you? I don't know if anyone keeps track but I would guess (there's that word again) their track record for a forecast coming true is below 50/50. Amazing how many times they get it wrong and yet we plebeians hang onto their every word.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You mean weather guessers don't you? I don't know if anyone keeps track but I would guess (there's that word again) their track record for a forecast coming true is below 50/50. Amazing how many times they get it wrong and yet we plebeians hang onto their every word.
    Life is choices on what one wants to accept as valid. I find it worth my trouble to pay attention. They are much more often correct about the weather than are most sources such as the news are about current affairs.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Debatable.
    Is that not what we are doing. Unlike the news, I can go out on my porch and verify just how close they are.
    Usually the last day of cold spell is what they screw up. If there is no could cover the last day of a cold snap is often colder than predicted.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    115   0   0
    Is that not what we are doing. Unlike the news, I can go out on my porch and verify just how close they are.
    Usually the last day of cold spell is what they screw up. If there is no could cover the last day of a cold snap is often colder than predicted.
    Red sky at night, sailors delight would also work.

Top Bottom