• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Att here in north pace almost to Jay. Had a new box put in at the road, 40 download 22 upload on my phone right now. Waiting for EREC to work the bugs out of their new fiber system. Cable is laid but they m gonna wait and see for a bit. Phones are straight talk running on Verizon. When the new box was being installed I was amazed my phone hotspot worked for 4 laptops (3 home school an me watching a movie on mine). Old laptop shows 25 and 12 right now.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    We use it for work as the backup internet and it works great.

I am going to order the upgraded system this year.
    By upgraded system.... Do you mean the 2500 vs the 600 base system?
    Or just the upgraded plan?

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I wouldn’t be in a position to move full time to Evergreen if it weren’t for Starlink. My livelihood depends on it. I have Mediacom in Milton and am able to work just the same in Evergreen. I do pay for an upgraded plan since they offered them but not sure I really need it. They both have pros/cons just have to figure out your own needs/risks.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I wouldn’t be in a position to move full time to Evergreen if it weren’t for Starlink. My livelihood depends on it. I have Mediacom in Milton and am able to work just the same in Evergreen. I do pay for an upgraded plan since they offered them but not sure I really need it. They both have pros/cons just have to figure out your own needs/risks.
    I talked to a rep on Friday. Likely will go with the cheaper of the two business options for speed.

I dont think I want to go with the more expensive equipment. Everything I have seen indicates that the standard option is plenty good.

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I talked to a rep on Friday. Likely will go with the cheaper of the two business options for speed.

I dont think I want to go with the more expensive equipment. Everything I have seen indicates that the standard option is plenty good.
    I have the regular equipment, just pay for a premium service essentially. I honestly don't think I need to and will probably drop it down to just standard service.

Oldergeek

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    My brother has the original Starlink up in central Marengo County. Had no other real good options and had tried everything. I've seen good results with his system, but there is one issue that wasn't obvious at first, trees. With regular sat TV, the trees don't seem to be an issue. However, with his starlink it does cause some problems. This is just the tips of some rather large oaks that come into the bottom of the scan area for Starlink.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have it and have had it for probably 2 years now in north Pace. I have the newer square dish. Does it work, Yes. Do I like it? Well, yes and no. It's far better than the only option we had (and still have) which is DSL. The DSL was about 4 up and .9 down.

I faked a tablet with a router (spoofed MAC address) and had unlimited data on a Verizon plan and it worked decently until the evenings when they would throttle the speeds. Sometimes, it would be so slow, it was unusable. Also, my data usage was getting high and I knew it would only be a matter of time before they caught on.

When the Starlink showed up, I set it up and it worked easily with no issues. I bought the network dongle because I had a bunch going on.

1. I have it running over a point to point to get to multiple locations on my property.
    2. I have a NVR camera system that I wanted to be able to access remotely.
    3. I run a business class firewall with multiple networks for the separate locations.

Speed: It's good, not great. I'm spoiled and have had fast speeds through BrightHouse as my old house and we have 1Gig fiber at work. My speeds are shown below (87 down and 11 up). This is pretty much the norm I get where I am and it's wide open, no trees.

What happens when it rains? If it's heavy, it's down. Light rain doesn't cause issues but heavy storms will cause an outage.

How does it work for Zoom/Teams/Video calls? Good, not great. There is some latency which can cause issues like glitchy video/audio.

Streaming? We stream movies/shows most of the time and it works great. Once in a while we will get some buffering but it's not bad. We can generally watch a couple hours without any buffering issues unless the weather is bad.

Gaming? I'm not sure because I don't game but this system is basically double natted so there may be some issues with some games.

NVR/CCTV, how does that work? With the double nat, I have to use a service (ZeroTier) in order to access my systems. If your system is direct accessed, you would needs to have this or some type of VPN that allows mapping to get access. If your camera system pushes video to the cloud, you'd be fine.

When high speed is available, will you switch? Most defiantly. The cost is less, the speed is higher and having a real public IP address would be amazing.

sl.png

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Southbound - does the app show you have obstructions? Even just a little can do what you are talking about. I have mine mounted up high and took down a couple of trees to get it clear and I very rarely have any buffering or slow speeds. When I had it lower and more obstructions, it was more like what you are describing.

SouthBound

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Southbound - does the app show you have obstructions? Even just a little can do what you are talking about. I have mine mounted up high and took down a couple of trees to get it clear and I very rarely have any buffering or slow speeds. When I had it lower and more obstructions, it was more like what you are describing.
    It's totally clear, no obstructions. I'm up on a hill and it's up high on my shop, probably 25' off the ground. Nearest trees are 300 yards away. The app shows all blue, no red.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got rid of hughes and switched to t mobile. The speed is great but it crashes at least once a day.
    Check with your local tmobile store, they may have a newer modem. I was having that problem, but more than once daily and went there to complain. They gave me a newer modem. Seemed good for a short time (about a week) then started with the same thing. Went back and complained again. They said we now have an even newer model then what you got last week, it should be good so try it. That was about 6-8 months ago, I don't think it has crashed more than 4 or 5 time's since then, and when it does a quick restart gets it running fine again.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Att here in north pace almost to Jay. Had a new box put in at the road, 40 download 22 upload on my phone right now. Waiting for EREC to work the bugs out of their new fiber system. Cable is laid but they m gonna wait and see for a bit. Phones are straight talk running on Verizon. When the new box was being installed I was amazed my phone hotspot worked for 4 laptops (3 home school an me watching a movie on mine). Old laptop shows 25 and 12 right now.
    As you know, I’m in northern Santa Rosa Co in EREC territory. Saturday the fiber optic was run from the road pole to my house. Yesterday it was run inside my house and initiated. Inside installer was friendly, professional and knew what he was doing and worked with you to install as close to where you wanted the inside boxes to be put. It’s been running since then.

Download speeds vary from test to test. I’m not smart enough to know if that comes from trying different brands of internet speed tests or from traffic. Download speed has been from about 150 mbps to in the 3xx range or faster if the computer is set beside the Wi-Fi. Upload speed is often 100mbps faster. Wi-Fi box seems to have some directional forces to it, varying about 20mbps depending upon how it’s rotated. I‘m using Wi-Fi , not an Ethernet cable. I have the 1gb speed. Awesome compared to my ATT& T 3.3mbps DSL.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I live in north Bay County and have been using Starlink for about 2 years, starting on my third year now. Since I am a gamer latency is a big concern. I play both MMORPG and First person shooters co-op and have no problem playing either type of game. Hope this answers the gaming question.

Idoono

Latest posts

Top Bottom