• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So later when the free window closes you want to sell your "pistol" what happens??
    Scenario #1: You left it in braced configuration and did not register it as a SBR: Sell it as a braced pistol, new owner gets caught and tells law enforcement you sold it that way. New owner rats you out in return for a lesser penalty from the government. Both of you are in trouble with you being in more trouble (possession and selling). Remove brace (and keep your mouth shut) and sell as a pistol.

Scenario #2: You did register it as a SBR: New owner wants it left in SBR configuration, so a Form 4 is submitted with $200 tax. After Form 4 is approved, you can physically transfer it to the new owner. New owner does not want it left in SBR configuration, so you remove the brace or shoulder stock, sell the resulting pistol, and write ATF with a copy of your Form 1 and tell them update the NFA register to reflect it's no longer in a SBR configuration and you no longer own it. A receipt signed by you and the new owner would be highly recommended for your protection.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    So I go to fill out eform 1 for a braced pistol. I found it a bit hard to follow and confusing when it came to filing out owner (me) information. For example it said as an individual, form 5320.23 would be N/A and grayed out (it's used for trusts for each person in the trust)...it wasn't grayed out and was mandatory. For example, country where born did not have United States listed and it was a mandatory field that you had to use the drop down window to select from. After refreshing and starting over 3 times, finally United States showed up so I could choose it and the state. Then my fingerprint file was in "processing" (DO NOT REFRESH PAGE) for over an hour. Finally it gave me an error message of:

Fingerprint cards cannot be validated. Please retry or submit hard copy fingerprint cards.

Additional Error Information:
    1. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_POB' 2.20 IDC:0
    2. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_EYE' 2.31 IDC:0
    3. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_HAI' 2.32 IDC:0
    4. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_RFP' 2.37 IDC:0

Easy for me to figure out the missing fields of place of birth, eyes, hair, reason for prints. At the "approved by ATF" fingerprint place when I tried to give the person that info, I was told it's not needed and no place to put it anyway on electronic fingerprints. Place is closed until Monday, and I have no idea if they can fix the file or even if the file is still in their computer.

I'm no dummy, but the process was not easy to me. Hate to drive an hour away to the fingerprint place again.

Question for those who've been successful: Can you submit multiple firearms on the same form?

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    So I go to fill out eform 1 for a braced pistol. I found it a bit hard to follow and confusing when it came to filing out owner (me) information. For example it said as an individual, form 5320.23 would be N/A and grayed out (it's used for trusts for each person in the trust)...it wasn't grayed out and was mandatory. For example, country where born did not have United States listed and it was a mandatory field that you had to use the drop down window to select from. After refreshing and starting over 3 times, finally United States showed up so I could choose it and the state. Then my fingerprint file was in "processing" (DO NOT REFRESH PAGE) for over an hour. Finally it gave me an error message of:

Fingerprint cards cannot be validated. Please retry or submit hard copy fingerprint cards.

Additional Error Information:
    1. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_POB' 2.20 IDC:0
    2. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_EYE' 2.31 IDC:0
    3. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_HAI' 2.32 IDC:0
    4. Missing mandatory Field 'T2_RFP' 2.37 IDC:0

Easy for me to figure out the missing fields of place of birth, eyes, hair, reason for prints. At the "approved by ATF" fingerprint place when I tried to give the person that info, I was told it's not needed and no place to put it anyway on electronic fingerprints. Place is closed until Monday, and I have no idea if they can fix the file or even if the file is still in their computer.

I'm no dummy, but the process was not easy to me. Hate to drive an hour away to the fingerprint place again.

Question for those who've been successful: Can you submit multiple firearms on the same form?
    It's an ATF ploy to stop people from getting an SBR

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    They have a pretty good database for lower receivers. I played around on the site. I wouldn't say difficult, but time consuming with all the menus and drop downs. Dinner was ready so I gave up. Do fingerprints and passports needs to be digital, or do you mail them in?

Also on the OAL, do you note it with brace extended or collapsed?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Fingerprints can be hard copy and mailed. OAL = brace extended and without detachable muzzle devices In place. Don’t know about photo of yourself…I already had that in my computer. Need photo showing serial number…I already had that in my computer.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Fingerprints can be hard copy and mailed. OAL = brace extended and without detachable muzzle devices In place. Don’t know about photo of yourself…I already had that in my computer. Need photo showing serial number…I already had that in my computer.
    Photo of serial only or photo showing serial and name, city, state of manufacturer?
    Just building what I can to get this right.
    Thanks

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It said serial number. In the case of the one I tried to register (fingerprints were missing info and not accepted), the name, model and serial were close together and in the same photo. If your model or maker is not listed in the drop down menu, I’d recommend including photos showing that info, which it allows you to do along with a description. There is a field for description if needed.

In the case of my Robinson Armament pistol, drop downs had the maker and model of the pistol. I got a corrected fingerprint file today and will try again.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    After trying for days to upload fingerprints to register my braced pistols, I went to my daughter's house with photo and fingerprint files on a thumb drive. Her Internet access is about 30 times faster than my DSL. Fingerprints uploaded and got confirmation of them in about 2 seconds. I'd forgotten my computer focused glasses, so my son in law typed while I read the values for each field, and then we each double checked each field. After the first one, it went fast, as we now knew the values for most fields. Registered 4 braced pistols. Sent fingerprint file, photo of me, and photo of serial number with each submission. Had confirmation of each registration and a status update of "processing" by the time I got home (20 minutes). In each case, the drop down menu's had the original maker, model, and caliber, so I didn't need to manually enter firearm info nor send photos of the firearm if it wasn't listed in a drop down, other than of the serial number. They even had Joe Bob receivers and models listed in the drop downs. I did not put anything in the description window, as SBR and make, model, caliber already had their own windows. In the why I'm doing it field, I put ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES.

Saving a "template" of the registration didn't really help subsequent registrations...all it did was save the firearm info, and since each firearm was different for me, I had to have each field corrected. Template also did not fill in fields about me...still had to fill in DOB, POB, sex, SSN, answer questions yes or no, etc, etc. On an early page they suggest you put yourself as the OWNER, but a later page they want you to put yourself as MAKER, so I listed myself as the MAKER from the git go.

Included in the email saying PROCESSING were 2 PDF's. One was the application with my photo and a copy to send to the local law enforcement entity. The other was a cover letter saying send fingerprint cards within 10 days. I'd already sent a fingerprint EFT file electronically which was accepted with the submission, so I will ignore that part about fingerprint cards.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just got the answer to the fingerprint cover letter. At the bottom of the printing on the right hand side is a small unlabeled box. Everyone gets the cover letter regardless of how they did or did not submit fingerprints. If the box is empty, one needs to send fingerprint cards. If the box has "REC'D" in it, ATF did receive your EFT fingerprint file.

Edited to add: It'd be nice if ATF would explain that unlabeled box. The answer was found in a National Gun Trusts blog posting. Checking with a friend who is sending in fingerprint cards, that small block on his cover letter was empty.

Last edited:

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I did mine now so there was plenty of time in case of hiccups, which there were for me in getting fingerprinted, having to get the fingerprint file corrected with missing info, and my slow Internet connection. I also figured a rush on the ATF system near the end of the 120 days could lead to crashing and slow response.

Personally, I hope the whole braced pistol = SBR thing is dropped/ruled wrong.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Morning lads. I am officially in NFA jail. I finally decided to get a suppressor for my AP5. Gonna spend the next 18 months grabbing all the subsonic I can find lol
    I a s s u m e you don’t reload? 9mm subsonic is easy to make if you have a chronograph and reload. Can taylor the loads to your gun.

Last edited:

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    I a s s u m e you don’t reload? 9mm subsonic is easy to make if you have a chronograph and reload. Can taylor the loads to your gun.
    I do not! Too late in the game, reloading wouldn't be cost effective for me. Also don't have the space haha.

Fathertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Morning lads. I am officially in NFA jail. I finally decided to get a suppressor for my AP5. Gonna spend the next 18 months grabbing all the subsonic I can find lol
    I have bought several thousand rounds of 147 grain subs from Freedom Munitions. All have been clean and they’re price has been reasonable. They are my go to place for all my bulk ammo. Be patient with them cause they are always offering specials like free shipping and such.

Top Bottom