Patriot Mobile

Springfield 1911 A-1 mil special holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Premier1011

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got a my first 1911 - Springfield 1911 A-1 mil special. I want to carry it on me. Anyone got an idea of a comfortable pouch to carry the 1911 in tucked in my waistband?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If by pouch you mean holster, yes, a full size 1911 is best carried in a quality leather holster, held up by a good, double stitched saddle leather gun belt. Tagua, Desantis or Wilson all make quality stuff at different price points and features. Specialty Pawn carries Tagua at a great price. WarEagle50 had a few leather holster, though not sure about for a 1911. Before you carry, make sure it's reliable with whatever load you want to carry. Remington Golden Saber is a good place to start for 1911, if it won't run that, you either have to carry ball or get Ron at TGD to do a polish job on your throat and feed ramp. Good luck.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Keep in mind that kydex will destroy the gun's finish. Not to put anyone's suggestions down, just giving OP fair warning before he buys something in case he doesn't know.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind that kydex will destroy the gun's finish. Not to put anyone's suggestions down, just giving OP fair warning before he buys something in case he doesn't know.

Actually, that isn't quite true. Well designed kydex will not damage the finish any more than anything else. Plus, it has been shown that leather can hold abrasive particles to scratch the finish. Kydex can be wiped clean to avoid this.

Here is a Sig that has been carried in an Archangel mos days of the week for the past 18 months. The finish is still almost perfect. Glare in the pic may make it look otherwise.

y6emypah.jpg

Dr John Meade

Last edited:

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I carry my SR1911 commander in a HR holster. IWB Kydex/leather hybrid, the guy is on this forum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have question for the 1911 junkies. It seems most like the pancake holster but I have been reluctant to try them as I already have a cross bread. Do the pancakes carry differently then the CB? If so you can share some on the differences.

I am not a huge fan of how the 1911 carries in my cross bread. It seems to pull a lot on the opposite side of my body. I do have a gun belt already.

For me just a normal one clip seems to split the weight between my hip/leg & my belt.

Joe

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    They do carry differently and they don't beat up your gun, just make sure you get one with a generous forward cant. A double mag pouch on the opposite side balances the weight on a good thick belt really rather nicely. JMO.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dan I keep hearing people say the mag pouch helps to counter act the weight of the gun but that logic is hard for me to follow.

I am sure it helps balance the load but you still add another 9 OZ the total load. No thanks

I am sure I will try one someday.

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    It's all about balance. Carrying the mag pouch actually lessens the perceived weight in my opinion. The mag pouch doesn't have to be this big bulky thing, especially since the mags are so slim. I forget the pouch is there and the pistol feels lighter, win-win in my book. I wear a Wilson Combat belt (imagine that) it is double stitched saddle leather. Hard thick stuff that wears and carries beautifully. I'd be happy to show you at the meetup.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd like to see it, but alas I will be in the mountains celebrating my 10 year anniversary with a lovely woman...and yes it's my wife. :cool:

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got my gun belt from a local police supply store. I did not want to fork over the bug bucks for custom tell I tried one.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    My Wilson belt really wasn't that much. I've found that with them, you usually get what you pay for. Ok, ok off the box ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom