• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Received the latest edition of "Book Of The AR"(Guns and Ammo) a couple of days ago and found a couple of things "interesting".

They did a survey of "military and law enforcement professionals" and came out with these stats in Re. to how these individuals preferred their AR's configured. BUT....keep in mind that the people surveyed were not people like us.....target shooters,plinkers,hunters,collectors,etc.

Caliber/Chambering -- 5.56/79%;6.8SPC/8%;7.62NATO/5%;6.5Greadel/3%;223Rem/3%,223Wylde/>1%;50Beowulf/<1%

Charging Handle -- Extended Lever/60%;Standard Profile/32%;Ambi/8%

Trigger Weight -- 4.5lbs/32%;4lbs/28%;5lbs or more/16%;3lbs/16%;3.5lbs/8%

Gas Op Sys -- Direct Impengement/65%;Adjustable Gas Piston or Pushrod/20%;Non-Adjustable Gas Piston or Pushrod/15%

Forend -- Full Quad Rail/40%;Monolithic/25%;Tubular/23%;Half Quad Rail/12%

Muzzle Device -- Flash Hider/Suppressor Adaptor/40%;Flash Hider/28%;Compensator/Surpressor Adaptor/12%;Muzzlebrake/Surpressor Adaptor/12%;Muzzlebrake 8%

Bayonet Lug -- NO/52%;YES/48%

Barrel Metal -- Steel Chrome Lined/79%;Stainless Steel/17%;Steel Non Chrome Lined/4%
    Barrel Legnth -- 16"/50%;14.5"/25%;11.5"/13%;18"/5%;10.5"/4%;20"/3%
    Barrel Profile -- Standard Weight W/ M203 Cut/38%;Lightweight/28%;Standard Weight W/O M203 Cut/26%;Heavyweight/8%
    Barrel Twist -- 1:7/54%;1:8/25%;1:9/13%;1:10/5%;1:11/1%;1:12/2%

Secondary Sight -- Folding BUIS/66%;Fixed BUIS/24%;Mini Red Dot/7%;Offset-Angle BUIS/3%
    Primary Sight -- Low-Range magnified Scope/42%;Red Dot/42%;Magnigied Red Dot/8%;Magnified Fiber Optic/6%;Flip-up Aperture/Post Sight/2%

Vertical Foregrip -- YES/56%;NO/44%

ALSO ---> The first AR Chambered in 300Win Mag has come out. It is produced by New Evolution Military Ordnance(NEMO) and is called the OMEN.

Good Shooting To All --- SAWMAN

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most of those are what I would have picked also. However, I don't really understand this one , "Bayonet Lug -- NO/52%;YES/48%". I'm guessing the LEOs said 'no' and the military said 'yes'???

Who uses a bayonet anymore? Does a M203 require it to be mounted? I know there are a few accessories made like bipods, that will attach to the lug, but if you have a rail system, you don't need it.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What no grenade launcher attatchment stats wtf losers don't come after me with ur wimpy 5.56.Hahahhahahahahaha

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yeah Pat...didn't really understand that one either. IMO,....NO application for it in the civilian world. In the military application,I really don't know if anyone even carries a bayonet anymore. Me ---> if I'm going H-->H I'm throwing down my long gun and either coming out with a pistol OR...in the WCS will use my Randall in my right hand and keep my left hand available to parry with anyway.

Another one that I don't understand is ....the bbl twist rates. I can surely understand why someone would opt for a 1:7 or 1:8. Even a 1:9(somewhat),however the rest (10,11,12) ??????? Shucks...I had a 24" 1:7 in Maine that I used for calling yotes. It shot the 40gr NosBalTips and the 45gr Remington HP's just fine. The 40gr NosBalTip was explosive hitting a woodchuck at 3700fps+. Adding the results up,the 7 and 8 twists account for 79% of the people. The rest COMBINED is only 21%. Sooooooo....really wondering why so damned many 1:9's out there if only 13% of the people surveyed "like" them. My guess......when it comes to the twist rate of a AR....not many know,or even care, about bullets weights(length's) and twist rates. --- SAWMAN

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have no clue what differ twist makes but if simple answer then I would love to hear why?

From Wikipedia:

Rifling is the process of making helical grooves in the barrel of a gun or firearm, which imparts a spin to a projectile around its long axis. This spin serves to gyroscopically stabilize the projectile, improving its aerodynamic stability and accuracy.
    Rifling is often described by its twist rate, which indicates the distance the bullet must travel to complete one full revolution, such as "1 turn in 10 inches" (1:10 inches), or "1 turn in 254 mm" (1:254 mm). A shorter distance indicates a "faster" twist, meaning that for a given velocity the projectile will be rotating at a higher spin rate.
    The combination of length, weight and shape of a projectile determines the twist rate needed to stabilize it – barrels intended for short, large-diameter projectiles like spherical lead balls require a very low twist rate, such as 1 turn in 48 inches (122 cm).[1] Barrels intended for long, small-diameter bullets, such as the ultra-low-drag, 80-grain 0.223 inch bullets (5.2 g, 5.56 mm), use twist rates of 1 turn in 8 inches (20 cm) or faster.[2]
    In some cases, rifling will have twist rates that increase down the length of the barrel, called a gain twist or progressive twist; a twist rate that decreases from breech to muzzle is undesirable, as it cannot reliably stabilize the bullet as it travels down the bore.[3][4] Extremely long projectiles such as flechettes may require impractically high twist rates; these projectiles must be inherently stable, and are often

Basically the required twist rate for sufficient stabilization is dependant on the bullet length weight and velocity.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    An AR in 300 Win Mag should be called OMG. I wouldn't even think about shooting that thing. My shoulder would be in Ga if I shot it in Fl. And rapid fire.....NO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Lemme know when you want to come over to shoot again John. I need to shoot a couple of the guns that I have been doing some "work" on. A couple of 6.8 loads also. --- SAWMAN

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL
    I just loaded up some 70 gr. today. Dang those things are long. Maybe with my 7" twist they will shoot okay.

I've shot up Hornady 75 gr using my 20" 1 in 7 twist and 16" 1 in 8. Both shot accurately out to 340 yards. I have not tried at farther targets.

Top Bottom