• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AR-AK

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Hi guy's, the wife and I have considered installing a solar electrical system on our home, which I know absolutely nothing about. Anyone have any experience with solar power systems, or currently using one, or recommendations, with which system I should go with. Basically any information would definitely be useful, thanks.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you do it then you also need a generator and/or battery setup for use when the power grid is down.

Prices have gone down but it used to cost around $15,000 per $50 a month off of your power bill.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Contact Compass Solar in Pensacola. Tell them Bruce Larson in Milton told you (maybe I'll get a few bucks!). We've had solar since 2009. Now a days for half of what we paid, you get at least twice as much power (panels give more power and are more efficient and you don't need an expensive converter). They will come out and do a survey of your house orientation, surrounding trees, how much they can install on your roof, etc. Ours is grid tied; no battery backup...battery backup has come a long ways since our system (more efficient, less maintenance, more storage capacity, smaller space). We've never had a regret, even though our system basically reduced monthly electric bill by only about half, compared to much more with a new system.

Reactions: B52

cooperjet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had compass come out last year for an estimate. The guy that came out was very informative and had a great presentation. Would have gone with them but not 100% sure how long we are going to stay in our house though so didn’t go that route. My understanding is it has no extra value when you go to sell. Meraki also came by but they seemed pretty shady. You can also get a quote online pretty quickly through the Tesla site.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Quick questions - - -> How long (many years) does it take to recoup the money that it cost you for the system ??
    How many nails,screws, fasteners, going through your roof, does it take for proper installation ??
    What does your insurance company have to say about all this ?? Premiums ??
    Who pays if a hurricane destroys it or because of the wind load your roof peels off ?? --- SAWMAN

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Quick questions - - -> How long (many years) does it take to recoup the money that it cost you for the system ??
    How many nails,screws, fasteners, going through your roof, does it take for proper installation ??
    Who pays if a hurricane destroys it or because of the wind load your roof peels off ?? --- SAWMAN

Good questions. I'm also interested in the answers.

cooperjet

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The break even was going to be a while for us. I think at least 10 years.
    Depending on the size of the system you have to get something added on to you insurance but I don’t think it was going to be much.
    He came out right after Michael and was showing me pics of what was left of some of the houses after and the only part of the roof that was left was the part with the solar panels. Seems like putting one of these systems up is best after having your roof done as well or was recently redone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My electric this year is minimal. it was maybe $115 last month. I just looked up it up for my last bill $106.77. But I do want some solar as a back up system that would require storage if the power system goes down. Enough to power my fridge, lights and maybe a window air conditioner. Some of that requires a generator.

USAF Sarge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been thinking of having solar panels put in. After Hurricane Michael, a lot of people in our neighborhood had solar systems done. A lot of good questions and answers being thrown out here. I'll be following this to learn more.

Also been thinking of having a whole house generator put it, we have an extra connection on our gas meter to tie into for one.

Last edited:

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

they have a wind load that exceeds most roofs. They do not increase homeowners premiums outside of the replacement cost.

resale value can be increased.

Recoup of initial investment is unlikely (usually 10 years for a product that has a 10 year life).

Duckyou

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Keep in mind - if you have an “on grid” solar system it will shut down when the power shuts off.

you must have a transfer switch and a generator or battery system to be able to feed the house without the power from the grid.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My doubt is that sometimes twice a day I get a call from the same operator from an 'unknow' number trying to sell me solar power. It does seem to be a buyer beware market.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Do your research, every article I have ever read has said you will not see a savings for 10-15 years.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do need to get at least one solar panel that can put 12 DC out to charge car batteries to charge my phones and such. Tractor generator is not functioning and charge batteries will keep that running. One needs needs a way of shielding some of that incase we get solar storms or a nuclear emf blast intended to knock out electronics. My tractor once cranked since it is an older diesel does not really need electronics to run. Just needs a battery to start or maybe I jack it up and spin its wheel with the clutch safety lockout wired over. But it still needs fuel.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My electric this year is minimal. it was maybe $115 last month. I just looked up it up for my last bill $106.77. But I do want some solar as a back up system that would require storage if the power system goes down. Enough to power my fridge, lights and maybe a window air conditioner. Some of that requires a generator.

That is what mine is on Gulf Power. I have a new roof and will not let them puncture it as it voids the warranty. I may have 10 years left, who knows. One company recommended taking the panels off for hurricanes. Ins co was not happy and the rate almost doubled with the panels. So I passed

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A lot of good questions and things to think about. Will post everything that I find. Thanks everyone for the info and concerns.
    from yout handle AR-AK it seems you like to cover your bases and that is something I do agree with.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is what mine is on Gulf Power. I have a new roof and will not let them puncture it as it voids the warranty. I may have 10 years left, who knows. One company recommended taking the panels off for hurricanes. Ins co was not happy and the rate almost doubled with the panels. So I passed
    I agree, no way would I puncture my steel roof. I do have a roof over one of my decks that maybe could be used for some panels. For a hot water heater in the summer a black painted 55 gallon drum would get you some hot water.

In case we ever get a year without a summer that happened nearly 200 years ago, one should also have a way of burning wood and a lot of wood available to cook with and to keep warm in the winter. cold will kill you faster than warm assuming you can find a shaded place outside.
    People did live in the south prior to air conditioning. I have almost 360 degree porches around my house as was done in the old days.
    While some question my political beliefs, I guess I am a survivalist at heart that does not trust any government to really take care of me.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Don’t remember my break even, but it was somewhere around 12-13 years. It is less now with newer systems. It helped that I got in with a now obsolete Florida solar program in which I got a Florida check in excess of $10,000 + a 30% federal tax credit. My check would have been $20,000 but Florida ran out of money for the program.

Insurance went up due to increased cost of home. USAA worked to not increase my rate by suggesting a way to reduce my rate by having an inspector check my home to see if the construction rated it higher in wind resistance...it did...my rate actually went down...saved more than enough for the $125 inspection fee. Florida also had/has a program to not increase property taxes due to increased value put into home from solar, which we got into at the property appraiser office.

Wind load inspector inspected roof and told solar company they need to reinforce roof to make sure, so they did so inside the attic. Solar company hired the wind engineer to inspect before any construction.

When solar did not put out what we were given in writing, I studied and did my own calculations which showed they applied the wrong derate value for my area. CEO agreed and admitted since their electrical engineer was out of area on a big project, the calculation was never shown to him. Engineer agreed with my figures 100%. I had them put in solar hot water system to make up the shortage at no charge. I would say that rarely does our water heater use electricity. If temp gets into low to mid 20’s, I drain the system until temp gets above freezing. Draining the system is easy and only wastes about 2 1/2 gallons of water. I made a check list on what valves to open and close to drain it. We have plenty of hot water.

Years later we had a roof leak. The sealant at a bracket holding a panel to roof had dried out from the sun. Tech applied new sealant and also resealed other exposed brackets. Once a year or two we wash the panels after the spring pollen season if there’s been a buildup on the panels.

Inverter killed by lightning, a $10,000 part. Replaced under 10 year warranty. New systems have mini inverters in each panel (my understanding) so are less affected by shade on some part of the array of panels. Inverter upgraded with lightning arrestors and more grounding. Solar electricity systems are improving as the industry learns and improves.

Solar company said we had a good 5 years before trees grew too tall. At about 7 years we started cutting down some tall pines.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom