• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As you know at our lease we HOG hunt, since most are nocturnal we use lights, fixed and weapon mounted. To get a shot if you don't have a weapon mounted light or to supplement the light we use a variety of fixed lights. One of the most effective is the solar powered motion LED light, lots of visibility, come on if you are there or not thus acclimating the hogs to lights, mounted on a board the mounted to a tree 60 LEDS. When this come on then you use your weapon mounted light, the hogs hardly noticed and don't spook as easily.

Because we are not all rich and cannot buy Night Vision, this is a cheap alternative. Cheap and effective, almost making NV a silly costly expenditure when you are on a lease and hunting for a meat hog once a week(not out exterminating hundreds of hogs).

This is the model I am currently using, have 3 and they are very effective.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SF0LO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For those with a bit larger budget:
    http://www.amazon.com/Innovations-4...d-Floodlight/dp/B001U27N84/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_3

http://www.amazon.com/Maxsa-Innovations-Powered-Security-Floodlight/dp/B005ZOD39Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_5

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But Frank... night vision is so coooooooooool. :D

I can tell you first hand that the lights worked well, although all we saw as a damn raccoon.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Yeah it is cool...but $3-5000 cool, even more for thermal?? Will have to take you out to see hogs. I guess w a quiet gun we should take the coons out, I have pics of them climbing to the top and spinning the wheel.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah it is cool...but $3-5000 cool, even more for thermal?? Will have to take you out to see hogs. I guess w a quiet gun we should take the coons out, I have pics of them climbing to the top and spinning the wheel.

I'm looking into a PVS-14, I've been told that you can get them in the $22-2500 dollar range, to me, yes I do think it is that cool. But of course we each have our priorities :D.

Waiting for the lights to flip on vs seeing them before the motion lights do would be really neat IMHO.

I'd be happy to help eradicate the coons, my suppressed .22 AR sounds about like a staple gun and would be perfect for the chore....

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have a cheap hand held NV that works for that $100 and I am done...LOL Talk to Smitty here as he just set up a PVS-14 on a 6.8 for use at our lease

Yes that would be perfect!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    OK as per CJ's recommendation(another forum) I ordered the lightmalls kill light. Got in it today and it is the very same light as my Elusive Wildlife XL250 Kill light and for $26 instead of $149 or more you cannot beat the deal. The extra inserts for red and white which I got along w the green in my light are $10 more ea and blue for blood tracking is available. This IS the best deal I have found, Attach a QD 30mm ring to it and put on any rail...Thank you CJ.

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire-hs-802-cree-green-light-long-range-led-flashlight-1-18650

Last edited:

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK as per CJ's recommendation(another forum) I ordered the lightmalls kill light. Got in it today and it is the very same light as my Elusive Wildlife XL250 Kill light and for $26 instead of $149 or more you cannot beat the deal. The extra inserts for red and white which I got along w the green in my light are $10 more ea and blue for blood tracking is available. This IS the best deal I have found, Attach a QD 30mm ring to it and put on any rail...Thank you CJ.

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire-hs-802-cree-green-light-long-range-led-flashlight-1-18650

Did the light come with batteries and the charger? I didn't see it listed as coming with them on the website?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    No sir, I already had that, they can be found on Ebay. I would suggest the 18650 charger and either 3000 or 5000MaH batteries, the higher the # the longer the run time so I run primarily 5000MaH batteries and they stay charged till you need them. I have selected many lights/head lamps for use and all of them run these same batteries.

Chaps

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great thread. I am also trying to get set up to hunt hogs at night. Do you attach the green light to the underside of your AR? Is the green light enough to see the hog and shoot it or do you also need some other light? Thanks

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Chaps, I put mine on the side but you put it where you are most comfortable with it. You point it UP turn on and slowly come down on the animal. With this light I can easily make a 100 yd shot. Green or red, heck with the white solar lights that come on everytime they come in you can use a reg white light. I think the animals spook less w the red light but I see better w the green so that is what i use.

T140, Yeah any QD mount, I think mine are UTG. Some of the smaller lights I use a 1" or put a rubber piece of innertube and a 30mm ring.

T140

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Green light arrived via mail yesterday, took it to work last night, it is amazing how far the beam projects. 100 yards+ easily. Can't wait to try it out on piggys.
    Frank, got a pic of your mount for the light?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    T, it is just on a 30mm QD scope ring mounted to the light so it can attach to a rail on my weapon, all my lights are in these, I use UTG as they are reasonably priced and are not holding a scope. I only put it on as darkness approaches. I am of the opinion when hunting at night on a regular basis you are served well by an illuminated scope(red if using a green light) Then you don't really need to waste thousands of dollars on night vision to kill a meat pig once or twice a month. If in TX and eradicating w suppressors and night vision, that is well justified. Just my opinion

Top Bottom