• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My EDC has been a SOG Pentagon Elite for so many years that mine is Japanese AUS10. Any one still carry one?

Yet I guess folks nowadays don't train in the reverse grip? Perhaps even less practice the transition from backhand to stabbing grip? What say Y'all?

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It's a dying art. Pun intended. I hope the masses keep on failing to train. Make's it all the easier for law enforcement professionals to survive encounters. I have owned quite a few SOG products over the years. Love my latest SOG Tigershark, but I'm not Mick Dundee and I have no intentions of trying to conceal that one, lmao. At any point in time I may have up to 4 EDC blades on my person (two of which are tactical folders, left and right) and a multitool in my rucksack and a spare multitool on my bike or in my truck, nevermind the machete in the truck. "Two is one, one is none." I will straight up unzipper somebody in a knife fight if it's the last thing I do on earth. Nobody wins in a knife fight. Gotta go into it with the acknowledgement that you're about to get cut too... and hopefully you're good enough, fast enough and lucky enough that you don't bleed out. On a side note, as a young man I took bayonet training to heart. It is a huge injustice against the military that nowadays a large portion of even our military (the richest most well funded military that has ever existed) never gets trained in how to butcher their enemy face to face. Fact is, they are being set up to fail.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Techniques with a blade were mandentory in the old days (pre late '69) of training.
    Some were trained by the ACTUAL men that "made a living" with a blade. Koreans,Filipino's,Gurka's,etc. No American was learned in the "art" to teach real world.
    An enlightening little book is the one that came with my Randall. It basically tells the real story without getting fancy and/or dramatic.
    One of the first things that I did to my Randall is to turn the 2.3" top false edge into a razor edge.
    In "real" H2H with blade you should always use a double edged blade of at least 6 inches long. This allows a back cut without spinning your wrist. From the get-go you should force your opponent to show his blade IF POSSIBLE. Fighting a man with the proper double is somewhat different than him having a skinning knife.
    Study,train,chalk 'em up(wear black shirt AND pants) and "fight" your buddy. That will tell the real story. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Would you rather fight someone using a box cutter,6" single edge using the reverse (P'kal) grip,a machete ,or a 4' shaft double edged spear ??
    A big part of knife fighting is reach,and planning/training to protect your vital,or bleed out organs/areas. Including your brachial artery,clavical artery,and femoral artery. All you need is a 2" deep by 2" long cut to one of these areas and your
    20210710_195229.jpg
    BP,will fall to <20 in well under a minute. When it falls past 40 or so you will not be able to protect youreslf or execute a effective cut to your opponent.
    A shallow slash to the forearm will end your being able to hold and control your blade or even to control your grip and fingers.
    Bottom line. - -> is your "reach" longer using the P'kal/Pikal grip or the real way to hold your blade. For me,I would not even consider training the single edge P'kal methods. UNLESS ... maybe with one of these. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are no winners in a knife fight, but the goal is to be the survivor. It's been a long time since Michael Echanis published or trained anyone, but many of his methods still work today. JMHO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This style Gerber had a great following back in the day.
    The blades were light colored and they had a 5deg cant to them. No serations either.
    Many were traded or sold before returning home. ----- SAWMAN
    gerber-mark-ii-double-serr-22-01874-bhq-4289-jr-large.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This style Gerber had a great following back in the day.
    The blades were light colored and they had a 5deg cant to them. No serations either.
    Many were traded or sold before returning home. ----- SAWMAN View attachment 139640 View attachment 139641
    Nowadays many shall find the Ontario Knife Company SP-15 LSA much more affordable. The 1075 needs a little time on the stone, the factory edge leaves one a bit wanting. But at the price point it's worth a little time on the stone. JMHO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The above Onterio looks pretty good. During my time,I never missed the seratioms. It's main usage ( and possibly why it was designed) was for cutting hemp rope.
    And I would suppose that it would aid ( somewhat) in initially opening an opponents clothing if drug across the out stretched forearm.
    But it will not do anything for you as far a streight line penetration. In fact it could be a hinderance as opposed to a well designed and sharpened blade if no too thick or wide.
    This is why most of the Gerber MkII's were carried by Army and USMC SpecOps guys. I did see a couple Sea Bee's with one as did my friend in VA(L)-4 flying Broncos.
    Back in the day you could get these at most military facilities,both Navy and USMC.
    For me,the negatives were the blade length vs thickness,and the steel used. They did not look sturdy enough for my suspected usage.
    I have opened 55gal fuel drums with my Randall and also cut a ton of different size and strength wires. Even a couple pieces of 2.5" fire hose.
    NOW. - -> CONTEMPLATING BUYING ANOTHER Randall just to EDC. Gotta be small'ish and double edged. On Ebay the prices are really up there for the new blades. - - - SAWMAN

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is nice to have one straight edge that can be used for fine whittling, while the serrated side takes the majority of the course or sawing action. There is enough straight double edge on both sides of the tip to inflict quick slices. (death via a Thousand cuts) The serrated edge sure works well when scaling fish, and it holds a working edge far longer than a straight edge, which can be an advantage during long protracted use and allows the straight edge to last longer since it can be retained for finer cutting. The 1075 holds up about as well as the Old KA-BAR (MK2) I believe that Ontario makes thier 498 from 1095 so the 1075 isn't as brittle. While stainless steel would probably make for a better product? Old fashion carbon steel (with proper maintenance) is easier to sharpen afield. JMHO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I never was a big fan of K-Bar but i do have an older Ontario in my safe. Mil issue but unknown model number. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never was a big fan of K-Bar but i do have an older Ontario in my safe. Mil issue but unknown model number. ---- SAWMAN

Possibly 498 Look for the NSN.

How about the Old Trench Knife?

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That Onterio 498 looks like the one that I have.
    Thanks for the link. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Will dig it out and post a pic or two. It is rough but still tight. AND SHARP !!

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That Onterio 498 looks like the one that I have.
    Thanks for the link. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Will dig it out and post a pic or two. It is rough but still tight. AND SHARP !!
    Double edged 4.75 blade, only question is country of origin?

Now on the single blade (more affordable) I've taken a fancy to the Seal Pup.

Ballistic Nylon Sheath with a KYDEX Sleeve. Not bad bang for the buck. JMHO.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Double edged 4.75 blade, only question is country of origin?

Now on the single blade (more affordable) I've taken a fancy to the Seal Pup.

Ballistic Nylon Sheath with a KYDEX Sleeve. Not bad bang for the buck. JMHO.
    I've had a couple SEAL Pups (with two different SOG brand sheaths) and a full size SOG SEAL. The SOG Tigershark is the big brother of the two. Same design basically but scaled up to be a real chopper. Absolutely love my SOG Tigershark. Thank you Mr. Warrs for selling me a great super rare knife. Hard to beat Kydex in a working man's knife sheath. I do however take exception to what SOG did by notching the sheath and exposing the blade. I know they did it for cutting cordage, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea to have a hole in your sheath right there. The new style SOG sheaths also lost their built-in kydex "spring" retention. Not good. Still an awesome knife design though

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So now that we have ran the gambit of emergency survival. How about back to EDC which used to be the do everything pocket knife. I mean how does the axis lock stack up to say the Buck Folder which I still see many folks EDC or Pocket Knife? I mean some folks may think Boy Scout Knife, Swiss Army, or Ontario 8980 camp knife when I say Pocket Knife.
    Amazon product ASIN B0028S5YQC
    But EDC, Pocket, whatever, it's the knife you carry everyday for any knife related chore. So once again back to the Pentagon Elite clipped inside the cargo pocket of a pair of shorts?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The real EDC weapon is between your ears. Knowledge weighs nothing and is always with you. No matter what EDC blades you have on your person, be prepared to adapt and improvise. Weapons of opportunity include everything from the corner of a wall to an office chair or a table or even a pen. If somebody only has one EDC blade on them, no matter what kind of latest super duper do-all flavor of wonder-licious it is... be ready mentally with the knowledge and training of how to use something else from your environment

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not fall into the above category. I always carry two blades. One,a small auto karambit blade for daily tasks/chores. Then there is my EDC defensive/fighting blade.
    The latter is never produced from it's carry position. NEVER !! --- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The real EDC weapon is between your ears. Knowledge weighs nothing and is always with you. No matter what EDC blades you have on your person, be prepared to adapt and improvise. Weapons of opportunity include everything from the corner of a wall to an office chair or a table or even a pen. If somebody only has one EDC blade on them, no matter what kind of latest super duper do-all flavor of wonder-licious it is... be ready mentally with the knowledge and training of how to use something else from your environment
    Knowledge, never think that your adversary knows less than you do! Underestimating the adversary is the leading cause of failure. That is knowledge. After age 50 the reflexes slow and the strength leaves regardless of the training, factual knowledge. As the weaker, slower reflexed opponent, only the advantage of superior weaponry and surprise may seize the day. To think otherwise leads to preplanned failure. Failure is not an option, but remember even in a tie you don't live to fight another day. Whenever possible just walk away! JMHO.
    Yet I still need a blade to perform mundane tasks every day of my life, so pick your EDC based on how many of those mundane tasks it can perform daily. In the event of an emergency, whatever blade you have at hand becomes your survival knife. JMHO.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Couple questions for you one knife carring guys.
    A apple can wait to be cored. A pizza can wait to be sliced. A pkg can wait to be opened - -> BUT ??
    If invited to a knife fight,with two or four legged animal,what blade would you pick.
    I am talking in the civilian world.
    Can you fully deploy your blade using ONLY one hand ?? Is it carried on the right side of your body that you will not have to switch hands to start your defensive (or in some cases,offensive) moves ??
    To each their own. But I have practiced THE WRONG WAY of doing things against a friend.
    Damn eye opener for sure. In these conditions you have NO TIME TO SPARE. Not one second. When the starting buzzer goes off - -> SH!T gets real,really fast. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "Can you fully deploy your blade using ONLY one hand ?? Is it carried on the right side of your body that you will not have to switch hands to start your defensive (or in some cases,offensive) moves ??"

SOG Pentagon Elite, YES.

"In these conditions you have NO TIME TO SPARE. Not one second. When the starting buzzer goes off"

Over 30 years practice and daily carry with the exact same knife have shaved precious nano-seconds off deployment time. Will it be fast enough when the starting buzzer goes off???????
    Guess that's the unanswered ever changing question each and every time, isn't IT!

Latest posts

Top Bottom