• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BoatsAndGuns

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When it comes to AKs, always, always, always get imports, especially if you don't have one or are only going to get one. Imports always go away and prices skyrocket (due to import bans, export bans, sanctions, factory simply stops making them, factory goes out of business, etc. It happens to all of them eventually). I'd recommend an AK made in an actual military factory overseas in a former combloc state (Zastava in Serbia, FB Radom in Poland, the state plant in Cugir, Romania, Arsenal in Bulgaria, etc). The exception to this is the Polish WBP Jack, which is made by a commercial company (though they do have military contracts and select fire Jacks are being used in combat in Ukraine) using state factory FB Radom Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Lined barrels, the best in the world.

At my place of work we get PSA AKs come through on transfer on the regular and I see too many QC issues out of the box, not to mention customers bringing them back to ship back to PSA for warranty work (we don't sell them, but FedEx and UPS have gotten so squirrely with individuals shipping guns that people bring them to us to ship back for warranty). I would resist the temptation to save money on a domestic, consumer-grade AK and get a quality one from a proven factory. Buy once, cry once.

-While it doesn't take standard AKM furniture, the Zastava ZPAP M70 is a solid option for about a grand, and there are plenty of aftermarket options for it these days. 50% thicker receiver, bulged RPK front trunnion, heavier profile cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel (7.62x39 ZPAPs are chrome lined now), and a proven history from a factory making these for military use for many decades.

-If you're willing to spend about $1600, I think the Polish FB Radom Beryl is the highest quality AK on the market right now (available from Atlantic and Arms of America). FB Radom is the main factory for the Polish military since before communism and has been making AKs for military use since the 1960s. You can get the Beryl in either 5.56 or 7.62x39. The 5.56 Beryl is the only NATO AK used by allies in Afghanistan and Iraq. If you want to stick with 5.56 for commonality, this is the best choice. I own a couple of Beryls and they are at least as high quality if not higher than my preban Russian AK imports.

-You can find Romanian WASR 10s for about $700 online. Solid base specs with a CHF CL barrel and forged components, I'd just inspect it before accepting the transfer at the gun shop when you pick it up (AK Operators Union has a solid video on inspecting an AK). I'd still take this over even the most "premium" US-made AK.

-Arsenal from Bulgaria used to be king of the hill, but as mentioned by others, QC has dropped while prices have skyrocketed. I love my older Arsenals but I wouldn't buy a new one.

-The Polish WBP Jack is a good option for $1150 on Atlantic and Arms of America, for the reasons mentioned above. Very high QC and amazing fit and finish. Beautiful classic AKMs and are compatible with all standard AKM furniture and parts.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    1st choice is always Norinco.

2nd choice is WASR10

There is no other choice unless you want a collectable preban Maadi which is basically early Russian without the full preban Russian price.

Everything else is just branded fan boy club guns like picking your favorite football team...good some years and suck others with no constant winner because corporate is always trying to save money.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1st choice is always Norinco.

2nd choice is WASR10

There is no other choice unless you want a collectable preban Maadi which is basically early Russian without the full preban Russian price.

Everything else is just branded fan boy club guns like picking your favorite football team...good some years and suck others with no constant winner because corporate is always trying to save money.
    What about Maadi's with the thumbhole stock. Are they any good.

Last edited:

Karlfucious

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some AKs come with a 1.5 mm thick receiver vs 1mm for the Russian AKM types of stamp receivers.
    I know. The Zpaps are 1.5 and have bulged trunions. I was just pointing out that Zastavas do weigh a bit more than Standard AKM since for some people the additional weight may be an issue. I personally don't care since in not hiking through the jungle. My Zpap M92 pistol weighs a bit more than my RH-10 rifle.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know. The Zpaps are 1.5 and have bulged trunions. I was just pointing out that Zastavas do weigh a bit more than Standard AKM since for some people the additional weight may be an issue. I personally don't care since in not hiking through the jungle. My Zpap M92 pistol weighs a bit more than my RH-10 rifle.
    No criticism and I should have mentioned such guns were stronger and 1.5 is also used in the light machineguns modified from the AK design.
    The RPK
    The barrel is pinned to the receiver in a modified trunnion, reinforced by ribbing, and is slightly wider than the trunnion used on the standard AKM type rifles. Symmetrical bulges on both sides of the front trunnion ensure a proper fit inside the receiver.

The RPK also has a slightly longer receiver, by about 20 mm or less. This was done to decrease the fire rate slightly, but not significantly enough to lower it any less than 600 rounds per minute. The U-shaped receiver is stamped from a smooth 1.5 mm (0.06 in) sheet of steel compared to the 1.0 mm (0.04 in) sheet metal receiver used on the standard AKM rifles

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    What about Maadi's with the thumbhole stock. Are they any good.
    Yes, the import Maadi with the ban style thumb hole stock is fantastic but they dont have a threaded muzzle so they dont make my list of favorites. It like having a nice 69 Camero but with a 4 cylinder. The government needs to stay out the gun rule business. Them darn threaded barrels are going to kill us all, lol.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Yes, the import Maadi with the ban style thumb hole stock is fantastic but they dont have a threaded muzzle so they dont make my list of favorites. It like having a nice 69 Camero but with a 4 cylinder. The government needs to stay out the gun rule business. Them darn threaded barrels are going to kill us all, lol.
    Yeah! Add a brace for the ultimate kill machine!

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have seen a pre ban egyptian maadi with thumbhole stock, and the muzzle was threaded but had a thread protector tack welded on. Also has cleaning rod but no bayonet lug
    So check to make sure if its just a thread protector

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen a pre ban egyptian maadi with thumbhole stock, and the muzzle was threaded but had a thread protector tack welded on. Also has cleaning rod but no bayonet lug
    So check to make sure if its just a thread protector
    If it had a thumbhole stock they were maybe trying to comply with some import restrictions. The one that I saw also had a tacked welded sleeve over the threaded muzzle.

BoatsAndGuns

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Some 1989 AK imports were caught in customs after the '89 assault weapons ban by HW Bush and had to have the threads ground off (or muzzle nut tack welded on), bayo lug ground off, and thumbhole stock put on. Some post-ban AKs ('89-'94/'98) were imported as such as well like the MAK90s, though the MAK90s usually had the threads milled off instead of a tac-welded muzzle nut. Could be the case with that Maadi. Base quality of the gun is still fine, though the Egyptian AKs can have kind of gloopy paint but that's purely cosmetic. I'd just make sure the bore and parts burning gas blows over is good since in that era corrosive ammo was still common range fodder and some folks didn't think they had to clean the corrosive salts because of the chrome lined barrel.

Gonzolee10

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Looking, reading on this one. If you have one, sound off. They have some nice G5's now tio
    +1000, G3 blem is about $600. I like this furniture. I've had very good experiences with psa stuff. And Kt. May just be lucky.
    View attachment 249377
    I have one of these that I've run probably 1000 rounds out of it with all different types of ammo and I've never had a problem. Great for the price!

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    sheeze... lol

I have a C39 with something like 750 rounds through it, not abnormal wear. I've seen the videos you're talking about, the internet jumped on the wagon and had something to bash... Love to shoot the gun, heavy and ring the Gong every time. lol

anyways,

My Fav AK, is the WPB Fox "IF" I could only take a single "bug out" weapon, The Fox might be my first choice, but the ammo is heavy... decisions, decisions.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll do some selling, trading and work towards a good one. Dosent matter to me if it's whacked up or painted, not a collector, just a shooter. I like the poly magpul furniture. Zukov.
    Look for an older Wasr with an original chromed romanian barrel. If it will would gk through a 30 rd mag, it would be keeper and you can fix them. Look up robski AK Operators Union, Local 47-74 or someone else to know how to inspect the rivets and other things on an AK. The thing with an AK even when things are wrong, they may still fire several 1,000 rounds anyway prior to failure.

BoatsAndGuns

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Over the past 2 years I have been able to inspect various WASRs, and while they have solid basic specs, it does seem they have more common QC issues that may (or may not) cause actual issues down the road compared to other similar imports - though QC issues are present in all of them. In particular, I've seen daylight between rivet heads and the receiver, which is a big no-no. It doesn't necessarily mean much in the short term, but I have personally seen examples of AKs where even slight gaps between rivet heads and receivers have lead to rivets coming loose, especially after much rapid fire or bumpfire. I don't bumpfire much anymore but I would rather my rifle be able to stand up to it (have never used or owned a bump stock). My Arsenal Inc-imported Russian Izmash AK74 and AK103 type AKs have had well over 20k rounds bumpfired through each (much of which was corrosive though I cleaned them really thoroughly) and still have the same rifling and accuracy as when I got them. I have found this to be the same with Russian Molot (VEPR) and FB Radom (Beryl and WBP Jack/Fox) barreled AKs. In my opinion, having been burnt by AK manufacturers all over, I would only trust my life to AKs made by (in order): 1. Russian Molot/Russian Izmash/Polish FB Radom... Arsenal Bulgaria (pre-2015)... Polish WBP Fox/Jack... Serbian Zastava ZPAP M70... and then Romanian Cugir WASR.

Anything else and I'd say you'd be better off buying any number of AR15s.

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have 0 as of today. What brands, models should I NOT look at? / stay away from? NOT A COLLECTOR, just a shooter. Tkx.
    I've got a Poly Tech Legend I picked up from a guy who had no Idea what it was. Granted it's not a safe queen or anywhere near there. But for $350, yes Three Hundred and 50 Dollars, I'm certainly not complaining. The surprise for me was, she's an absolute tack driver. The truth is, I have only put about 2,000 to 2,500 rounds through her without even a hiccup.

Top Bottom