• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewlikesmoney2

Shooter
    Is anyone interested in making a set of snake skin grips for a 1911? I have the skin but not brave enough to attempt it myself. Will pay whatever. TIA

Jevaughn

Master
    Out of curiosity, what kind of gun is it for? What thickness are you needing? 1911 slabs are easy to make out of wood, revolver grips are much trickier. I have no idea how you'd adhere the skin to it and what you'd need to coat it to protect it.

Drewlikesmoney2

Shooter
    It’s a full sized spring field 1911 stainless. I would want to stay the same thickness as the factory ones but really doesn’t matter. I’m not sure how it should be adhered either.

DickDunkin

Shooter
    Easiest way I can think of would be to get a cheap seat of wood grips and sand them down about 1/8 inch all over. Glue your skin to the grips and let dry good then trim the edges clean. Then dump clear epoxy on top like people do tables or bar tops. Let's dry and trim edges and sand. You can use a heat gun or hair dryer to pull the bubbles out of the epoxy. For crystal clear finish.

Raven

Master
    Get a piece of a stainless steel sheetmetal cut to the footprint of 1911 grips. Fasten the skin to the sheetmetal with folded metal on the edges, pulling the skin tight and flat, and mold clear epoxy over that to the same thickness of your favorite 1911 grips. You'll be able to see the snake skin under the clear epoxy that is like a quarter inch thick or whatever in the middle, the snake skin is flat and protected under clear epoxy. You're able to mold and shape those grips to your hand and the exact thickness that you want.

Top Bottom