• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbulls

Marksman
    None of these snakes pictured are water moccasins. They are all water snakes.

Moccasins swim with their entire body on top of the water. Water snakes swim with only their head out of the water.

rockb

Expert
    I watched him swim around the edge of the pool till he got to a corner and looked like he tried to get out. Got to the point where his head was just at the top and stayed there for a couple seconds. Looked like that was as far up as he could get. I put a 4 X 4 in resting on the side of the pool and the step to make a ramp he could use if he wanted to get out. Did not see him all day today.

He was swimming with just his head out of the water.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Its a banded water snake, mocs have a distinct band that comes from behind the eye and runs over and in front of it. Often it will have a lighter, smaller band above and below it, but not always. Banded water snakes can flatten out a bit and look very similar to a moc when approached, but they are no real threat as far as venom goes. They are aggressive at times though that one seemed pretty calm. Ive seen a bunch of them on the creek we are clearing around this year. Also killed 24 mocs and counting out there. I wont kill anything thats non-venomous, but I kill every moc that I see out there. This time of year the babies are coming out, which makes all of them more aggressive (moms)
    He may have been more calm than normal due to the temp, they are slower reacting when its colder. Their color varies a lot, most of them I've seen this year have been more red in color than that one. I would guess surrounding conditions influence color more than anything, but I'm guessing on that

rockb

Expert
    My main concern was that the first time I saw him I had reached into the skimmer to empty the basket. There was a large piece of plastic that was floating on the top of the water so I could not see underneath it. Well he was underneath that and as i lifted up the basket he came scooting out from under that plastic and out the skimmer. To say it surprised me would be an understatement.

I was planning on leaving the pump running during the day to have it skim all the plastic off the top and have the boys go out periodically and empty the basket. Guess that won't be happening for a while. This one was harmless but the next one may not be. Hopefully they will stay out once I get it cleaned up.

StorMay05

Expert
    My main concern was that the first time I saw him I had reached into the skimmer to empty the basket. There was a large piece of plastic that was floating on the top of the water so I could not see underneath it. Well he was underneath that and as i lifted up the basket he came scooting out from under that plastic and out the skimmer. To say it surprised me would be an understatement.

I was planning on leaving the pump running during the day to have it skim all the plastic off the top and have the boys go out periodically and empty the basket. Guess that won't be happening for a while. This one was harmless but the next one may not be. Hopefully they will stay out once I get it cleaned up.

First rule of a pool skimmer, have something with a hook to pull it out for you.

Top Bottom