• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a yugo SKS M59/66. Its a fantastic firearm. However, sometimes when Im out at the range shooting, it will completely lockup. Its usually at a random interval. It will function normally, and then it will no longer cycle. It will fire, cycle, fire, not cycle. When you go to cycle the weapon manually, the action is completely locked up. In order to unlock the weapon, I am as so far, unsure of what the correct procedure is. It usually entails completely stripping the weapon down, including removing the trigger group and the magazine. Its usually then by a heavy amount of finagling by which I am able to unlock the bolt/bolt carrier group. I can not under any circumstances recreate the malfunction without actually shooting the gun.

Ill admit, that I havent really researched this subject as much as I could have, but on several occasions I have googled the problem with limited to no results actually talking about a problem like the one I am experiencing. I would like to resolve the problem myself, rather than having to take it to a gunsmith for what is more than likely not a problem that will require his/her attention.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Will be willing to travel to range with firearm to reproduce the malfunction for anyone who wants to see it in action.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Urban have you tried other ammo?
    Have you checked to see if the chamber is rusty?
    when it locks up can you force the bolt back by stiking it?

Urbanfuturistic

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sorry, forgot about this post, as I posted on another site as well.

I only shoot steel cased ammo out of my Russian guns.
    The chamber isn't rusty. There is, however, a buildup of lacquer inside the chamber.
    When its locked, I've never tried striking it except with my hand. I usually disassemble it to just short of taking the receiver out if the stock. I just remove the cover and spring, then the trigger group and magazine. From there I go through an indeterminate amount of finagling until it finally frees itself up.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its probably cosmoline in the chamber more so than laquer. Ive fired thousands of laquer coated rounds no problem. Clean the gun really well with carb cleaner then try shooting again. Let me know how it goes.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    check the gas port to aid in cycling. I had to deep clean the gas port on mine and found an oversize "key" for the gas block. I dont remember exactly what its referred to as, but the selector device for the yugo sks that changes from gas operated to single-shot for grenade launcher capability.

Top Bottom