• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I was looking for a target style scope for under a grand & decided to get a Sightron SIIISS 8-32 X 56mm MOA reticle. I was leaning for the 6 to 25 but went with the heigher magnification to avoid ever outgrowing the scope.

Sightron
    http://info.sightron.com/

So far I love it. The eye box is very forgiving even at the max magnification of 32. Picture is clear & focus is good. I still need to shoot it at some distance to comment much more on sharpness. I have viewed objects at 1,000 plus but nothing as detailed as a target.

The reticle is nice & is not too busy. The MOA reticle has very fine lines & a micro dot in the middle.The small dot allows for very precise aiming. I could place the dot well inside of the red bulls eye below & it is only .45 inches all at 100 yrds.

Turrets are easy to manipulate & clicks are firm. They do not lock or have a zero stop. I have not had a chance to test the tracking yet & will update later.

The magnification dial is easy to manipulate. One thing is it goes 8 to 24 individually then jumps from 24 to 28 to 32. There is space to stop in between levels but no numbers.

The parallax knob does not have yrds labeled on it. You just turn tell it is in focus.

It came with a metal sunshade & lens covers. IT does have a lifetime warranty & you can order customizable turrets etc....

Overall it will fill all my needs & will exceed my skill level. LOL This is my only long range scope so I can not give a real comparison to it's competition.

Thanks to those that offered opinions & information that aided in the purchase of this scope.

First range trip 100yrds.

Last edited:

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Good looking scope.

Instead of a front cover, I placed a UV filter between the scope and shade.

P1010716.jpg

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea the flyers suck.:caked:

The weird thing is the flyer is usually the first cold barrel shot. This is only the second time to the range with this gun but it will be interesting to see if that continues. May shoot better when its warm.

Not bad for Hornday 55gr VMax.

Last edited:

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thats an interesting idea Dead-bird. Never really thought about adding different filters.

I appreciate your feed back on the sightron before I purchased it.

Joe

Last edited:

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Thats an interesting idea Dead-bird. Never really thought about adding different lens.

I appreciate your feed back on the sightron before I purchased it.

Joe

There wasn't enough room for a flip up cap so I had to get creative.

P1010700-1.jpg

P1010701-2.jpg

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I purchased mine from Opticsplanet as well.

Do a search for reviews yourself all the ones I read were good. I will say the MOA reticle might not be the best for hunting as it is very fine. This is more of a target style scope. It is The SIIISS 8-32X56mm.

It is priced similar to the VortexPST, & new Ziess HD line.

I read several threads about it on this forum.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

Last edited:

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea the flyers suck.:caked:

The weird thing is the flyer is usually the first cold barrel shot. This is only the second time to the range with this gun but it will be interesting to see if that continues. May shoot better when its warm.

Not bad for Hornday 55gr VMax.

A clean cold tube will always throw to a different POI. Run send 2 fouling shots then shoot for group.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the tip MOA. I have heard about POI changes after the first shot especially for a clean & cold barrel.

I just never had such a noticeable difference in a bolt action before. However my AR has a significant difference. I guess I have been lucky so far with my hunting rifles.

I was hoping to get to the range this weekend to play with it but not sure I am going to make it. I will use your suggestion and see what the gun can do. I was going to bring a notebook & write down what bullet goes where as well.

Later I may try & adjust for the first shot with the turrets just for fun.

Joe

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Being as the only shot that usually counts is the first one, an interesting excercise is to patch the bore between shots. That way every shot is a clean cold bore.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another interesting point is ammo quality. I just ran some checks on a box of .308 Hornady that a friend brought over. While they were all " in " SAAMI spec there was a average difference of .009" in length when measured from ogive to cartridge made and a weight difference of up to 11 grains in total weight. This generally indicates thicker case walls and inconsistent projectile weight...not conducive to 1 hole groups

Top Bottom