• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garryj

Expert
    Does anyone have a 1911 with fixed sights that shoots low and if so what did you do to correct the problem? I Have a Sig C3 1911(bought new)that does just that. At 10 yards it shoots about 1 1/2" low from a bench rest. It has been verified by having a friend test fire it also from a bench rest--same results. So far I have only tried replacing the barrel link with a Wilson Combat #3 link with no change. I'm thinking next I'll try a #2 Wilson Combat barrel link or maybe a FL guide rod. At present, this is the only carry gun I have and I do not want to send it back to Sig. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Garry

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Does anyone have a 1911 with fixed sights that shoots low and if so what did you do to correct the problem? I Have a Sig C3 1911(bought new)that does just that. At 10 yards it shoots about 1 1/2" low from a bench rest. It has been verified by having a friend test fire it also from a bench rest--same results. So far I have only tried replacing the barrel link with a Wilson Combat #3 link with no change. I'm thinking next I'll try a #2 Wilson Combat barrel link or maybe a FL guide rod. At present, this is the only carry gun I have and I do not want to send it back to Sig. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Garry

Does it shoot at the same POI with different types of ammo? If so, I'd say just replace the front sight with one of the proper (calculated) height.

garryj

Expert
    Does it shoot at the same POI with different types of ammo? If so, I'd say just replace the front sight with one of the proper (calculated) height.
    It groups great, just low. I've only used Winchester white box and a few Federal HST +P(both 230gr)and both grouped pretty much in the same spot. I called Sig and the rep told me that they use the same sights on all of their 1911s, so a different front sight from them is not an option.

Garry

SAWMAN

Master
    Is this pistol used for SD/combat or target ?? If SD/HD/combat I would simply hold . . "less front sight".
    I would also bet that it would not shoot high using a 185gr+P load and especially the Double Tap 165gr load. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

boatbum101

Marksman
    Vast majority of 1911's & revolvers are regulated for 25yds with standard for caliber bullet weights ie 158gr in 38 special & 230gr in 45acp . Move target out to 25yds , if still low you'll need a taller front sight .

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    My wart makes me shoot lower.

joraca

Expert
    Assuming a Sig is like other 1911s, I don't think I'd put a shorter link in it without making sure the lugs on top of the barrel were adequately engaging the slide.

Taller rear sight or shorter front sight. Or maybe slower ammo in 230 gr.

Dan1612

Master
    I'm surprised it shoots at all.
    Sorry, had to. I don't even own 1911s.
    But yes, shorter sight, unless you're pushing in anticipation, which can very well be a factor in a little pocket rocket like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Understanding the OP is talkin' pistols . . . . . In a single action or double action revo,especially with a longer bbl,the heavier (slower) bullets shoot HIGHER. ---SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Did we get a distance the high group was shot at? I'm inclined to say its minute of bad guy or just use a mod sight picture but that does not fulfill what the OP wants. Is shooter holding at 6 o'clock or center?

There is a geometry difference between the level top edge of the Black Iron sights and the horizontal centerline of the contrasting white dots. Both may be perfectly level but in fact the dots are closer to the bore axis. Closer means lower, and lower alligned sights would allow for higher impacts. When we combine this with a handugus relatively short sight radius, small off-sets equal shifts in impact point. The difference between the the top of the iron and the horizontal centerline of the dots may be small but it is not their relationship to each other that's the issue, its their individual relationship to the bore axis (different intersecting angles) and recoil until the bullet leaves the barrel. Table shows iron sight misalignment and resulting impact shift. The difference in sight plane would cause the same variations. Splitting hairs: yes. Does this matter to the average shooter: probably not as it falls within handgun shooting variables. IMHO

table.jpeg

Cover the three contrast white dots. Shoot Black Iron only sight picture. Results?

For standard 3 dot sights, I would just shorten the front the front sight post with a file: at the range and test as you go. Once the "Black sights are regulated you can compare them to the white dots. You can also modify (lower) the front dot with a little work.

Attachments

• table.jpeg
      table.jpeg
      40.5 KB · Views: 128

garryj

Expert
    Found the Problem

It took a while to get the parts I needed to check my friend's theory that the slide stop and the barrel link were out of spec, causing it to shoot low. I replaced the link with a Wilson Combat #3 link and borrowed my friend's slide stop. After installing both, my C3 shot POA in five 7 shot groups. I will be ordering a Wilson Combat "Bullet Proof" slide stop on payday. FYI the diameter of the slide stop in the C3 is .1965 and the one my friend let me use is .2000. Mil-Spec is .2005-20(.1985 minimum). Wilson bullet proofs are guaranteed to be .2000 minimum.

There is nothing wrong with the sights.

Garry

wildrider666

Master
    Good troubleshooting. Did you call Sig and find out what their Link and Slide Stop specs were for the C3 since it runs a shorter non mil spec barrel?
    Your results are great if your not causing accelerated wear or have binding potential down the road. A simple example of this is the stock C3 may have been able to still run in a less lub/more fouling state then the modifications will function with.

Glad you up and running again.

Top Bottom