• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shipping question. I am a Florida resident. Is it legal to sell a firearm and ship here in the state of Florida to another Florida residence, without going through an FFL?

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Unless it's an antique, pre 1900s I think, it will need to go to an FFL.
    Either a store or a individual with a C&R (If the gun is older than 50 years and in original configuration, a C&R is still an FFL though).

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here, so you don't have to click on a link:

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
    The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
    Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That's nuts, did not realize interstate shipping was ok like that. Really cool tbh.

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My understanding is that the receiver housing with serial number Is considered a firearm and must be shipped as such. All other parts are just parts And can be shipped Like anything else.... You can buy anything on eBay except the receiver and have it shipped directly to you.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ok so where does a model 700 action only or 10/22 action only fall

As long as they are a rifle or shotgun, you can use the post office to mail to a non-FFL in state.

I’ve seen “Model 700”-style AND “10/22”-style pistols, so just confirm they are rifle actions.

Barrel or not doesn’t matter. The serial-numbered receiver is considered the “firearm” for those two models.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These actions are firearms. My question is where do they land with the ATF? Rifle or Pistol. It was shipped from the manufacturer as a rifle but could become a pistol or rifle.

nwfdub

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    These actions are firearms. My question is where do they land with the ATF? Rifle or Pistol. It was shipped from the manufacturer as a rifle but could become a pistol or rifle.

IIRC leaving the action barreled, provided 18.5", it allows you to ship like long gun without requiring FFL. Looked into it when I had my barrel fluted.

Since you only have actions, treat them like a pistol. They need to be shipped to an FFL. You can ship them, but not directly to him.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I call the action itself a machined part not a gun unless it is the barrel, action and all the weapon
    Like many other things that are government Does that doesn't make sense, They consider the [ receiver housing ] As the firearm everything else is just parts.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

If the actions were “born” from the factory as a rifle, they can’t become a pistol. They can only become short-barreled rifles. Yeah, it’s stupid.

If the actions were “born” as pistols, then they can become rifles, and go back to being pistols later. Provided that the pistols wear a longer-than-16” barrel Before the stock is put on. Very stupid.

For the Ruger, if the action says “10/22”, it should be a rifle. If it says “22 Charger”, then it’s a pistol.

For the Remington, I’m not sure if the 700 CP (pistols) were marked differently than the Model 700 rifles.

Regardless, the serial numbers would tell the tale. If you know they are rifles, then you can mail the barrel-less actions to a non-FFL in state.

Top Bottom