• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can the serial number be used to find out when it was made?

Short answer Yes.. Especially when the company still has those records available.

Sometimes War and fire destroys records which makes things more interesting.

Here is a little something I read on cold and lonely nights that might help :)

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Be advised, not just black powder guns. Any firearms made before 1889 can be sold as antiques including some smokeless powder models. I know the French Lebel and some Mauser and Carcano rifles fit this, for example.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is the C&R (curio and relic) category too. I know nothing about it, really. I see it noted on Gunbroker a lot, but I've not seen how it makes any difference on those purchases. Never bothered to look into meaning.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    It’s my understanding that the C&R (Curios & Relics) license is an inexpensive, less restrictive FFL that allows you to have 50+ year old firearms shipped directly to you without going thru a regular FFL.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s my understanding that the C&R (Curios & Relics) license is an inexpensive, less restrictive FFL that allows you to have 50+ year old firearms shipped directly to you without going thru a regular FFL.

There ya go. I don't have that license, so the designation never made any real world difference to me.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    There is the C&R (curio and relic) category too. I know nothing about it, really. I see it noted on Gunbroker a lot, but I've not seen how it makes any difference on those purchases. Never bothered to look into meaning.
    Yeah I've briefly read about that once but my memory sucks. But there's a list of all guns that qualify under that status. If the gun is on that list you can then ship it to your door so long as you have that liscence. It's better because even some semi autos on on that list. I'll let the C+R people explain that better tho

Modern blackpowder pistols can be bought and sold to and from your home with no FFL also. Which is odd because many can be easily converted with modern chambers to accept cartridges after the fact. Doing so you're officially creating a homemade firearm tho and can't sell it after until it's changed back tho I believe. Same as modifying flare guns basically. This bothers some folks but imo all guns shouldn't require an FFL. But that's a whole other story

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom