• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noleveyor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for a replacement for an older Nikon scope. It's been decades since I bought one new and I have no current knowledge about scope quality so I'd appreciate any recommendations. It's for hunting rifle but I wouldn't mind it being useful on an AR if needed. I'm looking to stay in the sub $500 range.

Thanks!

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    What power was your old scope ? Probably the best way to pick out a scope is to determine what power you want, which might be based on the mid way point between the closest and furthers distance you plan to shoot, next weather a Variable or a fixed power.
    Go to "big box" sporting goods store and ask to look through several scopes.
    What is your intended use for a scoped AR ?

noleveyor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What power was your old scope ? Probably the best way to pick out a scope is to determine what power you want, which might be based on the mid way point between the closest and furthers distance you plan to shoot, next weather a Variable or a fixed power.
    Go to "big box" sporting goods store and ask to look through several scopes.
    What is your intended use for a scoped AR ?
    It was a 3-10x. I've looked at Bass Pro and academy here in town and can't tell much difference in clarity/quality/low light potential in store. I'd be using the AR for hog hunting if I swapped the scope over.
    Thanks.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    One of these, Trijicon 3x9x40 with green dot on the cross hairs.

Yes, it will be a bit more than $500, but you can find them less than MSRP. I have two of them.

Buy one, you will thank me after you kill that big buck 5 minutes before legal shooting hours end because you could see the dot.

Jstocks

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go on cameraland.com or europtics

Doug at cameraland is a good fella to talk to. Give him a call. The new Sightron are nice for what they are. Your budget may get you a Meopta, which I really like.

Taxesar3theft

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    One of these, Trijicon 3x9x40 with green dot on the cross hairs.

Yes, it will be a bit more than $500, but you can find them less than MSRP. I have two of them.

Buy one, you will thank me after you kill that big buck 5 minutes before legal shooting hours end because you could see the dot.
    I got the trijicon 1x6 and sold my nightforce atacr because it's better imo

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Leupold all the way. Can't go wrong with USA made and 100% life time no hassle guarantee. Any one that backs what they make like this has confidence in what they build. Leopold will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit. 100 year old company that is privately owned by the family who bears the name.

Last edited:

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Cabela's store brand scopes have mixed reviews... but mostly 5 star reviews... I'm sure from real world people who weren't gun snobs used to $2,500 Night Force scopes. Seems like most of the two, three and four star reviews say that the 3-12x Cabela's scopes were good out to 200 yd but only up to 9x, and then things started getting blurry. So anyways, a 3-9x scope good out to 200 yards for only $78 is a great deal, whether or not the scope body says 3-12x :) They're on clearance right now for only $78, too. What's not to like about that?! I am about to try out one of these Cabela's scopes that I got on trade here on the forum last year. We'll see what happens.

Screenshot_20230120-014815.png
    Screenshot_20230120-014607.png
    Screenshot_20230120-014547.png
    Screenshot_20230120-014635.png
    Screenshot_20230120-014525.png

Last edited:

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    LPVO with fixed parallax and illuminated reticle in 1x - (6x,8x,10x) is fast acquisition, small for a scope, and usually light weight. They work great for critters on the move and under 500 yds.
    PM me if you are interested. I may have a few that will fit your needs I can let go. Refer to this thread.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I will second Rebel_Rider1969 if you can find an older made in Japan Tasco or Bushnell they are really good! I had a Tasco World Class made in Japan that was better than my Nikon & Redfield. Pentax actually makes a pretty decent inexpensive scope. (I think it is or was made by Burris.)

Top Bottom