• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for the best bore cleaner and lubricating oil. Ive been using hoppes #9 and hoppes lubricating oil and i know theres gotta be better out there. Ive Been doing some research it seems some bore cleaners are best for lead and others copper, is there a good cleaner that does a good job at both and won't mess up my copper brushes?

Do you leave any oil inside or patch it all out?

What's the best lubricating oil?

I just recently got really into buying and shooting more and want to keep my guns in the best possible shape. Any other cleaning advice is welcome.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Folks on here have been crazy fer Frog Lube.....I personally use Strike Hold on everything!

rick1967

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nothing legal removes lead other than scrubbing. I like shooters choice fp10 in the winter and shooters choice hi tek grease in the summer for the slide

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You didn't say what you were cleaning? But back in the day, we'd take our m16's, separate receiver and barrel, and run it under scolding hot water. The heat removed everything, the water was so hot, that it evaporated almost instantly from the metal. We then lightly oiled it, ran lightly oiled patch down barrel, and passed inspection every time. Wouldn't recommend it on all weapons, and probably not on ar15's either. Just because you need scolding water with pressure behind it.
    Nowadays I use a brass brush dipped in solvent, run it down barrel several times, run patch several times, and repeat til it's clean. Then lightly oil it.

young gun

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As for the guns im cleaning, revolvers, pistols, bolt actions, carbines, shotguns, ect.. ThankS for the suggestions and ive seen quite a few of Hickoks videos.

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MP-7 gun cleaner, mainly because it doesn't have any smell. Then lube them with Fireclean or M-Pro 7. I used to completely field strip and clean my guns after every time I shot them, but I would dread the cleaning afterward so much that I cut back on my shooting, so I decided to preform an experiment. I took one of my AR's and totally stopped cleaning it, so far a couple of years and thousands of rounds later I don't notice any difference between before and now. Not a single failure of any kind. So now I only clean my guns once every year or so. Makes shooting so much more enjoyable, just throw them back in the safe when I'm done shooting. Probably saves a lot of wear on them as well as I have seen more damage done by excessive cleaning than actually shooting.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I use Breakfree CLP for everything and I agree that you don't need to clean them everytime.
    I cleaned my Stainless Stalker 30/06 today just because I sat in a drizzle yesterday. First time I've oiled it down this season.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    tried alot of products out there including the "Lewis Lead Remover". but nothing works better than Chore Boy copper scrubs. You can find this at the kitchen isle
    ChoreBob.jpg

cut a small piece and wrap it around a smaller caliber bore brush and run it through the bore. works like a champ!
    DSCN4018.jpg

as far as lube, anything will work. I have been using Brownell's Friction Defense and it works great. I try to stay away from food grade lards.

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are as many different methods as there are guns. I still use Hoppes #9 and Sweets 762 for severe copper fouling.

I also use a bore guide on every rifle that has one and a good one piece cleaning rod.

If you swab out the bore with #9, let it sit overnight and run a clean dry patch through it in the morning you will be surprised what comes out. I do not go near firearms with a metal brush, only nylon and cotton swabs.

Also use Hoppes gun oil or my favorite, Rem oil.

Rick

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally use Ballistol on the gun and Lucas Gun Oil on the gun rails, for heavy bore fouling I use Hoppe's No.9 solvent.

Top Bottom