• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    JohnAL, was your experience SRAM also with the ASQ38 nav system? I just had a flash back to SIC codes I used to operate the SRAM system.

We were not allowed to mess with the nav stuff. I do remember that it all tied together and we were told that some of the crews used the SRAM's inertial guidance because it was more accurate. Most of my time was spent in the Weapons Storage Area working on the missile electronics and the black boxes mounted in the front wheel well. I did not work on the flight line except for the last few months that I was in so a lot of that part of the job is lost in the dusty corners of this old brain.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like you guys did the important stuff. All I did was keep those engines Sucken Wheezen Squeesen and Blowen No jokes about sucken and blowen

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It takes everyone. Can't crank up a plane without an air cart. Can't load the target info into a Minuteman missile without a truck to get you to the silo.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I do love hearing what you guys did. Didn,t really get to talk to anyone much out of the jet shop. Am really looking forward to meeting some of you and talking. Only time I get to talk to someone is if I happen to see them at a staic display somewhere. Met a Captain that was a launch officer down on the hole at Ellsworth.That was long enough ago that he said if he told me about retargeting he would have to kill me. Met another pilot at a campground and talked alittle. I'll try to hold back alittle untill we can swap war stories in person. Takeing up alot of time here. Ardiemus stay safe. And that little yellow handle is in case of emergency only.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For some interesting info(however sad) do a WIKI or GOOGLE search of ---> B-52 Crash Elephant Mt. Maine 1963.

I was guiding a snowmobile tour one winter from where I lived over towards Greenville,Maine and I took the group up to the crash site. One of the crew (IIRC the B/N) was there giving a talk on the crash, before,during,and after. Super interesting to stand their amongst the wreckage and listen to the story from a survivor. Also....really sad.

The major parts of the aircraft is still there, as is a giant memorial stone with the list of the crewmembers. --- SAWMAN

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was preset for the last BUFF crash in 2008. I was the last to see my six buddies alive. Raidr21 was the call sign and I wear a tab patch everyday and think if them. As we say in aviation. "The ground always has a pK of 1"

Attachments

• image-1715106480.jpg
      image-1715106480.jpg
      98.8 KB · Views: 105
    • image-769114171.jpg
      image-769114171.jpg
      94.7 KB · Views: 104

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Interesting read Sawman. I was still in Jr. High then. B-52C. Hell, I don't think anything older than G models were flying when I was in. We had G & H. We had 2 or 3 D models sitting around but they were gutted and just fodder for Rusky satellites and spies.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ardiemus it's great you are remembering your friends that way. It's a wonder some asshole comander doesn't tell you to remove an unatherizer patch. Still think the SAC patch looks nicer. John when were you in anyway. You must be a youngen. We had D models in 70. Don't know when they changed to G's at Ellsworth.

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loved to watch those. Our shop was next to the flight line and not far from the aleart shack so we had a great show. Trucks and people running everywhere. Cartrage starters going off and all the black smoke. I swear they were rolling before all engines were started even when they gang banged them. Think we had 7 bombers and 15 tankers on aleart I'm not so much older than you a Not sure about those no. Have a friend who worked the flightline who would know for sure. We also had 3 flying comand posts. You should see how far an inlet cover would go when it got caught in a jet blast. Crew chiefs were probally suposed to not let that happen. I supose that by 74 all the D's were headed for the bone yard or for display somewhere. Sure hated to watch them get chopped up.I'm not so much older than you are I'm 66.

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The last D models left for Davis Montham in the 80's and the Reserves were last to fly them I believe. Those water injection engines were a sight to behold I believe. EPA wouldn't let the AF get away with that today.

Top Bottom